carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 06-07-2022, 05:13 PM   #1
SCA
Jaded

I am not in love it what I am seeing, especially since I already did not like the tail lights. I am not bailing out, yet… but I now see the car not staying in the stable as long as initially planned. Maybe 8-12 months?
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 05:24 PM   #2
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Carmudgeonly Ride: 11 1 M; 11 328iT; 22 M240ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
I am not in love it what I am seeing, especially since I already did not like the tail lights. I am not bailing out, but the car would not stay in the stable as long as initially planned. Maybe 8-12 months?
Why now wait until the MC2 comes out?
Old 06-07-2022, 06:02 PM   #3
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
Why now wait until the MC2 comes out?
No manual = no sale. While I maybe getting up there in age… my left leg, knee, and right arm are still fully functional. Furthermore, it is highly unlikely that the G87 M2C will get a manual option. The G80 & G82 Comps are not so why would the G87?

Edit: If the G87 does not pan out for me then that will be the end of the line with BMW and a full on move to Porsche.

Last edited by SCA; 06-07-2022 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-07-2022, 07:08 PM   #4
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Carmudgeonly Ride: 11 1 M; 11 328iT; 22 M240ix
Quote:
No manual = no sale. While I maybe getting up there in age… my left leg, knee, and right arm are still fully functional. Furthermore, it is highly unlikely that the G87 M2C will get a manual option. The G80 & G82 Comps are not so why would the G87?

Edit: If the G87 does not pan out for me then that will be the end of the line with BMW and a full on move to Porsche.
If that is what happens then I get it. But according to an expert the die has not been cast yet for the M2C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
No one (besides the BMW people working on it) knows anything about M2 Competition at this time.
Call me an optimist, but given the take rate for the manual on the F87 was about 50/50 here in the US I tend to think AG will reveal at some point "Ya, ve have found a vay."
Old 06-07-2022, 08:43 PM   #5
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
If that is what happens then I get it. But according to an expert the die has not been cast yet for the M2C.

Call me an optimist, but given the take rate for the manual on the F87 was about 50/50 here in the US I tend to think AG will reveal at some point "Ya, ve have found a vay."

The take rate on manuals at BMW are sharply declining though. A lot of their enthusiast are aging out and truthfully no longer desire a manual. BMW now produces for the masses and sadly the niche days are long behind them. Factor in the cold reality that China is their number market and is where the majority of their focus has turned to. That is even obvious in their design language. Anyways… in the event that a manual M2C happens it will easily push/exceed $90k and at that price I am not a player as I rather spend that money on something from Zuffenhausen.
Old 06-07-2022, 08:29 PM   #6
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:

You could also look at it this way though. The G80 base 6-sdp is 480hp. That is 25 more then the predicted 455hp base M2. The comp could still get the 480hp version and the manual.
Old 06-08-2022, 09:52 PM   #7
SCA
Jaded

And there we go… it is official.

2023 BMW M2 Will be the Last Non-Hybrid M Car https://www.bmwblog.com/2022/06/08/2...m2-non-hybrid/

BMW should sell a ton of G87s because of this. Guessing this will also work out well for those that want one preowned.

Edit:

BimmerToday.de: Will there continue to be M models without hybridization or is the BMW M2 one of the last premiums that only have a combustion engine on board?
Frank van Meel: The BMW M2 will definitely be a purist driving machine with its straight-six and rear-wheel drive. We will see increasing electrification in other vehicles, of course in different forms, starting with the 48-volt electrical system and plug-in hybrids to fully electric drives. From this point of view, the M2 will be the last M with a pure combustion engine drive and also without electrification scope such as a 48-volt on-board network, yes.

BimmerToday.de: With a manual six-speed gearbox, the M2 is a strong offer for purists, but in general the trend is towards automatic gearboxes, right?
Frank van Meel: The trend has been towards automatic transmissions for years, although lately it has stalled a bit. Especially in the M2 segment, there are still a lot of hand switch fans who are looking for something special and have less and less choice. That's why we have a very high proportion of manual transmissions in the USA in particular, even over 50 percent, and in Europe we still had a proportion of over 20 percent right up to the end, even if it's not faster or more efficient than the automatic.

Last edited by SCA; 06-08-2022 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-07-2022, 08:50 PM   #8
dan
redefined

Carbon shark fin?
Old 06-08-2022, 11:54 AM   #9
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Man that leaked pic has already caused a TEN page thread on the G87 board.

The typical F87 fan boy hate and complaints about the look.
Old 06-08-2022, 12:03 PM   #10
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Man that leaked pic has already caused a TEN page thread on the G87 board.

The typical F87 fan boy hate and complaints about the look.
Link? Guess I need to jump onboard as I currently prefer the F87. My only gripe with the F87 is that it needed the adaptive suspension that the CS later received. I found the standard suspension fairly rough, especially if used as a daily driver.