carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 10-25-2005, 06:29 PM   #41
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
you might think it's quiet, but i still love to hear that mechanical noise of the porsche engines as they drive by (the early 996s were too quiet, true) --but it's the intake noise plus the whirring of the fan and the exhaust.

i think they tuned it well (finally). they tuned it on purpose to reflect the "aircooled" sound, but i still really like it.

that said, i'm tiring quickly of the nissan/infiniti VQ exhaust sound. it's buzzy, tinny and hollow and it's EVERYWHERE now (and there is a VQ in the driveway).

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 06:40 PM   #42
Jason C
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: Invalid Carriage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming
that said, i'm tiring quickly of the nissan/infiniti VQ exhaust sound. it's buzzy, tinny and hollow and it's EVERYWHERE now (and there is a VQ in the driveway).
Is it just me or are all the 3.5 Nissans tuned to sound like they're revving on people when they pull away from a stop? It doesn't matter what it is in - 350Z, G35s, SUVs, whatever - that's something that I'd probably get really irritated with, really fast.
Jason C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 07:17 PM   #43
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
you might think it's quiet, but i still love to hear that mechanical noise of the porsche engines as they drive by (the early 996s were too quiet, true) --but it's the intake noise plus the whirring of the fan and the exhaust.

i think they tuned it well (finally). they tuned it on purpose to reflect the "aircooled" sound, but i still really like it.

From driving the 987S, I can say that that exhaust/engine note was awesome. People who have driven it, claim the Caymsn S is even more intoxicating and sounds even better because of the closed cockpit. Can't wait to drive one.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:06 PM   #44
Mr. The Edge
Don't worry, be happy

Carmudgeonly Ride: AW '05 645Cic & '11 Infiniti QX56
Quote:

The PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust) produces such a wonderful exhaust note not heard on early 996's. Definitely an option to consider if one is in the market for a 996.
Mr. The Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:18 PM   #45
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30m3dryver
The PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust) produces such a wonderful exhaust note not heard on early 996's. Definitely an option to consider if one is in the market for a 996.
agreed.

the sport exhaust (which is about $2000 from the factory) sounds awesome.

Old 10-25-2005, 09:14 PM   #46
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
Is it just me or are all the 3.5 Nissans tuned to sound like they're revving on people when they pull away from a stop? It doesn't matter what it is in - 350Z, G35s, SUVs, whatever - that's something that I'd probably get really irritated with, really fast.
I love a good exhaust note, but I'm sick and tired of the VQ's "waaah." Sounded pretty cool when the 350Z is new, but somehow it's gotten overexposed by making itself known on just about every Nissan platform. Blecch.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 10:07 PM   #47
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee
I love a good exhaust note, but I'm sick and tired of the VQ's "waaah." Sounded pretty cool when the 350Z is new, but somehow it's gotten overexposed by making itself known on just about every Nissan platform. Blecch.
yup.

that's what i mean. i hear it around every single corner and it's on every single FX (lotsa 'em 'round here) and G35 (lotsa 'em, too) and on those Z's.

i don't even turn my head --i just get irritated. but when i hear a porsche exhaust........i definitely turn my head.

too bad about the e46m3 exhaust. even as tricked out as they can be with the most aggressive aftermarket exhausts, they still sound like chihuahuas screaming through a megaphone. otherwise a very cool, cleanly styled car (rare these days).

Old 11-02-2005, 02:17 PM   #48
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee
Yup, every G, FX, Z and I can hear the hollow, tinny sound. Got old on my test drive as well.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 05:38 PM   #49
clyde
Chief title editor

you didn't tell us it was a Monster Boxster!!!!!!!!!

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 05:40 PM   #50
BahnBaum
Tilting Rocinante

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde
you didn't tell us it was a Monster Boxster!!!!!!!!!

Looks like it'd be awesome in the snow.

Alex
BahnBaum is offline   Reply With Quote