carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 10-07-2005, 07:05 AM   #41
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
Not i DC. Dc changed the law some time ago that if you are IN the intersection when the light is red, you are ticketable. People were pulling into the intersection and getting stuck, preventing crossing traffic from moving, which means they did the same thing and around and around.
Two different scenarios. Pulling into the intersection behind stopped traffic and getting stuck is different than making a valid left turn.

There are some intersections where you wouldn't ever be able to make a left turn if that were true.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 05:21 PM   #42
Pinecone
Carmudgeon

DC law just said that if you were in the interection on red, you were int eh wrong. That way, no arguements.
1995 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
1990 Red/White Spec Racer
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 10:54 PM   #43
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
DC law just said that if you were in the interection on red, you were int eh wrong. That way, no arguements.
\

that sucks. Can you find the statute online?

FWIW, I've verified that you won't get a red-light camera trigger from doing this in DC. So no worries. I guess if it's on the books and a cop wanted to be a d!ck, he could ticket you for it.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 01:05 PM   #44
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Quote:
The contracts did nothing about yellow light times. They just set up a system where the contractor charged X per month per red light camera for installation, maintenance and ticketing. They SOLD the system on the idea that the ticket income would be greater than the monthly fee.

But after a while, it wasn't, revenues fell, causing the city/town to try various things to increse revenue.

Bottom line, cities/towns got greedy and didn't think through the whole thing. If the purpose of RLC (red light cameras) is to reduce the running of red lights, tickets issued for running red lights SHOULD decrease. They should have done the contract for a percentage of each ticket collected.

Several court cases have been done showing that jurisdictions reduced yellow light times to increase the number of tickets issued by RLCs. The veidence presented included the lower revenue issue.
I will say again that I believe this to be factually inaccurate. I am fairly certain this is not what happened, although it may have been in your area. I don't know about all of them. But it's not worth arguing about.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 01:27 PM   #45
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Lots of articles here: http://www.motorists.org/issues/enforce/articles.html
Old 10-10-2005, 04:24 PM   #46
Pinecone
Carmudgeon

Thanks. The problem has been well documented, but not worth my time to find them. We get some inside publications at work that have some of the stories.
1995 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
1990 Red/White Spec Racer
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote