carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #151
TD
Founder emeritus

I *really* need to figure out how to swing getting myself one of these.

EDIT: Configs out to $81K. Not going to happen any time soon.

Last edited by TD; 05-30-2013 at 02:43 PM.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #152
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee View Post
So what color are you getting?
I don't know what you're talking about.

Those HRE wheels look even better than the Tesla 21s, which I didn't think was possible.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #153
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
cool map in which you can see the current location and expansion

http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger
That is cool. I wish they had more detail on the future ones though.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #154
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post

At the D11 conference Musk "confirmed" the (20%) smaller model should be around $35k after gov't subsidies and it's about 3 years out.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #155
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:

Before or after the $7.5k tax credit? Did you take the gas savings into account?

I'll post a copy of my pricing and operating cost spreadsheet in the next couple days (just need to spend 15 min cleaning it up and making it clear which fields to enter). Running the numbers helped me get over the cost.

For my config, I was able to:
a) keep my monthly loan payment to within $5 of what I've been paying for cars for the last 5 years
b) Reduce my total operating cost (registration, tax, fuel, maintenance) by ~$150 per month.

That helped me get over the "holy crap this is an expensive" car hurdle. Especially when I compared it with getting something new like a 335, A5 or A7...
Old 05-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #156
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
cool map in which you can see the current location and expansion

http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger
I showed my wife the map...

She suggested we take a road trip at Christmas. To Canada. From Phoenix. In the Tesla.

If Tesla hits the "Fall 2013" spots on that map up the west coast by early November, we may just do that. Drive up over 3-4 days. Visit the in-laws in BC for about a week and then head back home over 3-4 days. Only cost would be food and hotels...
Old 05-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #157
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Before or after the $7.5k tax credit? Did you take the gas savings into account?
I wouldn't bank on that credit existing as-is 3 years from now. Probably still something, but...

There is also a huge disparity in state tax advantages that will probably keep shifting as well.

Electrics for the masses generally...the change on the Honda lease for the Fit EV is quite interesting. $259/mo with basically nothing down a free 240v charger (althou have to pay for installation) and unlimited miles? 80 mile range is limiting, but I'm having hard time why I shouldn't get one for commuting. Fuck.

The Tesla S is bad ass. Enjoy it, ZBB!

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #158
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post

I'll post a copy of my pricing and operating cost spreadsheet in the next couple days (just need to spend 15 min cleaning it up and making it clear which fields to enter). Running the numbers helped me get over the cost.

For my config, I was able to:
a) keep my monthly loan payment to within $5 of what I've been paying for cars for the last 5 years
b) Reduce my total operating cost (registration, tax, fuel, maintenance) by ~$150 per month.

That helped me get over the "holy crap this is an expensive" car hurdle. Especially when I compared it with getting something new like a 335, A5 or A7...
$81K was after the credit. It was the 60 with tech package, 21" wheels, panaroma roof, and the charging options. Plus metallic paint and leather.

It's a $1100 note payment per their calculator. And my realistic gas savings is only $160/mo.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #159
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Configs out to $81K. Not going to happen any time soon.
Yours was cheap. The way I wanted it ended up at just shy of $109K. Nope.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:17 PM   #160
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
At the D11 conference Musk "confirmed" the (20%) smaller model should be around $35k after gov't subsidies and it's about 3 years out.
Tesla, like BMW, puts a lot of stuff into spendy option packages that most people are going to want, like a "tech package" for nearly 4 grand, 3700 fancy wheels, a $200 package shelf, etc. So that 35K number is probably optimistic.

And clyde's right about the credit, which may well go down quite a bit. OTOH, it's not clear to me that a reduction in the credit would be paid entirely by the consumer. Tesla quotes most of its prices including the credit, so if the credit went away they'd have to "raise" their consumer-facing prices, which they may not want to do.

The gas savings for me aren't terribly substantial, either. Clyde makes a great point about the Fit EV (and other, similar products), but it just highlights the reality--I want a Tesla because it is a kick in the ass to drive and it's fucking cool. It's the same reason I wanted an M3. The fact that it's electric is a nice bonus, but at the end of the day, I don't really want an electric car. I want a Tesla.

Which really should be their new ad slogan.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote