carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-12-2015, 05:58 PM   #1051
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
1) That thing is hideous
2) I hate Jalopnik. It's like clickbait for cars.
this car is the anti-Model S. it's not made to be exclusive or to project anything elite. i think the styling of the concept Bolt reflect that they're going after the middle 75% of the CRV/RAV4/Equinox/Escape market with the Bolt.

when it's in production, i strongly suspect it will still be oodles more palatable than the BMW i3. and while the styling will be derivative, it's only $30,000. derivative styling for $100,000 is less acceptable, IMHO.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:15 PM   #1052
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I don't see anything wrong with the Bolt's looks. There is only one way for cars with a compact footprint to be spacious, and that is by being tall.

I really liked the i3 in person, tall but lowish CoG, great visibility, RWD, mostly carbon, not a hooligan by any stretch but a decent drive. While it is expensive, you get a lot for your money. It will be interesting to follow it for a year/20k miles at Edmunds that just kicked off a long term test.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:21 PM   #1053
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
On a side note, I find Jalopnik highly entertaining and efficient/fast to read. The headlines are click-bait-y, absolutely, but it's done "ironically". Anyway, they are a bunch of guys who love cars and they are trying to keep their heads up in today's sink-or-swim media environment with a good bit of millenial language/attitudes thrown in.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:19 PM   #1054
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
this car is the anti-Model S. it's not made to be exclusive or to project anything elite. i think the styling of the concept Bolt reflect that they're going after the middle 75% of the CRV/RAV4/Equinox/Escape market with the Bolt.
.. and that will be its downfall.

They better fix the production version, because nobody is going to but that ugly thing. How many Ford Cmax's do you see?
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:30 AM   #1055
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
On a side note, I find Jalopnik highly entertaining and efficient/fast to read. The headlines are click-bait-y, absolutely, but it's done "ironically". Anyway, they are a bunch of guys who love cars and they are trying to keep their heads up in today's sink-or-swim media environment with a good bit of millenial language/attitudes thrown in.
I used to see it that way (despite the proliferation of bad grammar / proofreading), but lately (the last year?) they've devolved into purely clickbait headlines and misleading / factually incorrect articles. I don't think it's done ironically, I think it's done to get attention. They accept content from just about anyone, so if someone sends them a piece they thing is interesting they'll post it. Maybe this is to compete with TTAC (Baruth).
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:24 PM   #1056
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
I used to see it that way (despite the proliferation of bad grammar / proofreading), but lately (the last year?) they've devolved into purely clickbait headlines and misleading / factually incorrect articles. I don't think it's done ironically, I think it's done to get attention. They accept content from just about anyone, so if someone sends them a piece they thing is interesting they'll post it. Maybe this is to compete with TTAC (Baruth).
I think there has been an expansion of content posted to Jalopnik. There's probably the same volume of quality content as in the past, but there's a lot more crap to go along with it now.

The RSS feed that populates the forum here is even worse than Jalopnik proper.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:57 PM   #1057
John V
No more BMWs

Example of Jalopnik crap:

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/wel...s-f-1678840826
Old 01-13-2015, 05:03 PM   #1058
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Yeah, see, that's not Jalopnik. That's Oppositie Lock.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:58 AM   #1059
John V
No more BMWs

It appears to reside on the Jalopnik domain.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:42 AM   #1060
JST

It does. It's "user generated content," meaning Jalopnik gets the clicks but doesn't have to pay for it. Kind of like CNN iReport. There's some editorial control on which Opposite Lock features get promoted to the front page; if this was featured on the main page, then Jalopnik bears some responsibility.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote