carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 07-14-2018, 09:01 AM   #1
Alan
Carmudgeon

Pulled over by the 5 0 thread

I think this would be a cool thread for us to post these stories since they are interesting ... everyone loves a good ‘I got pulled over’ story

In the last 25 years I’ve been pulled over 3 times and the weird part is it has only been in my 991 ... 2 times when I first got it which was 6 yrs ago and back then I was speeding and said to myself ... heck I better slow down but 2 days ago here is what happened ...

I was heading to one of my offices which is in a small village here in Long Island where there are a lot of cops. I’m on a 2 lane road heading into the village literally driving 30 mph in a 30 mph zone and pretty much driving like a granny. I stop to let a mother with a baby and small child cross the road and as I very slowly accelerate I see a cop 2 cars behind me, next thing I see is he puts the lights on so I pull to the side at a red light to get out of his way and to my surprise he is pulling me over ... I for the life of me can’t figure out why but heck I make a right turn onto a road with no shoulder, then he follows me a block and I turn into a neighborhood and pull over (this took a good 2 minutes but I know not to pull over somewhere not safe).

Anyway I lower the tinted window so he has no worries who is in the car and he asked me for my license only, I hand him my license and my PBA card and the first thing I said is ‘What’s going on ‘ because I had no clue why he pulled me over. He said you have no front plate which I replied Yes I don’t, well why don’t you have a plate, did it fall off what happened to it, well shit I’m not going to give this guy some BS story I told him straight forward nothing happened to the front plate I never put it on the car, he asked who gave me the PBA card which I responded my brother in law who is a retired cop and then asked me his name which of course I gave him (it’s handwritten on the card with his phone number)

I text my bro in law i’m pulled over and he is going to get a phone call, a minute later the cop comes back,hands me the card and license back and said ‘have a good day’

Sounds good to me that card just saved me a couple of hundred bucks !!

Strange though because in all of my years having no front plate on some of my cars that is the first time I ever got pulled over for that reason. I was questioned about it during one of the other stops 6 yrs ago and I had the same response ... I didn’t put it on.

Meanwhile at almost 50 years old I still get very nervous when a cop pulls me over ... and this guy was probably 15 to 20 years younger than me. Why can’t I be like those you tubers who look like they could give 2 shits when they get pulled over.

Last edited by Alan; 07-14-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:03 AM   #2
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
I don't have any data to prove it, but my gut tells me that fancy or hot-rod looking cars are a gleeful target of police. First off, they probably feel relative safety in pulling those cars over, and then there's the "got 'em" factor.

Atlanta is very lax when it comes to any kind of traffic enforcement, so no incidents yet for the red 718s.

Despite the horrible traffic, it's kind of fun to drive down here, simply because there are no cameras or cops micro-enforcing road laws.

Edit: I've posted this before, but I once got pulled over by park police in DC while driving my E46 330i. The cop let me off because, as he said, "You have a proper transmission." I was driving a stick at the time.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:03 AM   #3
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
I got pulled over for no front plate, got a fix it ticket.

What is pba ?
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:47 AM   #4
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

There are MANY occasions of me getting pulled over, mostly at night, for speeding and failure to stop (5-speed stick + no traffic at night + too tired after work to FULLY stop = "California Stop").

In all those times, I was in scrubs with my hospital I.D. There seems to be some sort of professional courtesy, because the LEOs let me off with just a warning.

There is a section of road on my way home from work where the speed limit changes twice in a couple of miles. Because I am coming home from work after a 10-hour shift, at 2:30 AM, with little to no vehicular traffic, I usually set my cruise control 8 mph OVER the speed limit. Pretty reasonable, imho. Anyway, the first time I got stopped in that area (about 4 miles from my house), it was by an LEO who was in a white SUV. I usually pull WAY over to ensure the cop's safety, I turn off my engine, turn on my interior lights, and put both my hands on top of the steering wheel. I was extremely polite. When he asked me for my documents, I even said, "They're in my glove box. May I get them ??". (I always make sure to say this, because I have a CCW permit, cops know this info at the time and get EXTREMELY paranoid). It is my experience that putting the cops at ease with these actions increases your chances of being let go with just a warning. We make small talk about the hospital I work at and his pleasant experience there as a patient, and lets me go a few minutes later.

Fast forward a week or two later, and I'm in that same area again. A white SUV appears out of nowhere, and I see what seems to be the same SUV, and he pulls me over. When I roll down my window, he exclaims, "YOU AGAIN ?!?!" We both laugh, but this time, he doesn't bother to check my papers and just lets me go.

About a month later, I'm in that same area again. As I'm driving home, I pass a white SUV going the other way. I look in my rearview and see that he whips his truck and follows me for about a mile. Again, I'm doing about 8 mph over the limit, or about 53 mph, which is reasonable for that road at that time of night. We are the only two vehicles on the road. All of a sudden he whips the SUV around and leaves me on my merry way home. I'm kind of laughing inside, because I'm pretty sure that it was the same LEO who stopped me the last 2 times on that road.
2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Last edited by 3LOU5; 07-14-2018 at 12:59 PM. Reason: edit
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:22 AM   #5
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Here, they don’t nab you until you are 12 miles over. That is, if they even bother to enforce at all.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:57 PM   #6
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
I got pulled over for no front plate, got a fix it ticket.

What is pba ?
According to Google:

“PBA” stands for the Police Benevolent Association and nearly every police officer in the United States is a member. Friends and family members of police officers will sometimes be issued a PBA Courtesy Card.

I heard sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't.

Kind of like scrubs and hospital I.D.s, LOL.

(My sister is a nurse and got a speeding ticket....probably because she was late for work and was WAY over the speed limit).
2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:09 PM   #7
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
I know not to pull over somewhere not safe
I've heard some stories (and been yelled at) for this.

Quote:
my PBA card
These and their equivalents in other locations make my stomach turn.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:13 AM   #8
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
These and their equivalents in other locations make my stomach turn.
+1
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:50 AM   #9
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Agreed. Some kind of justice, right?
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:11 PM   #10
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I don't have any data to prove it, but my gut tells me that fancy or hot-rod looking cars are a gleeful target of police. First off, they probably feel relative safety in pulling those cars over, and then there's the "got 'em" factor.
In nearly 8 years of having the Atom, 35000+ miles, in just about every state in the continental US, I was pulled over... twice. The first time was in California when it had Oregon temp tags and the second time was in New Jersey quite a few years later. The California stop just wanted to know what it was and chat about the car - we had a great time until their dispatcher radioed them to "wrap it up" because the freeway was slowing down from rubberneckers. The New Jersey one was because the cop (who was a kid less than half my age) mis-read my plate. As he was walking up to me, he was apologizing profusely and saying "I shouldn't have pulled you over, sir - my fault".

I've had a number of occasions where a police car has pulled up to me at a red light and asked "is that legal?". My answer of "Got plates!" always seemed to be sufficient.

On my initial trip across the country, my official "end of the trip" point was parking in front of the Empire State Building:

There was this grumpy overweight cop (as you can see in the picture) who decided to try giving me a hard time. But since I was already parked, that doesn't count as "pulled over". And he just told me to leave or he'd claim I was creating a "security incident".
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote