carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Keepin' it local

Old 02-12-2008, 11:09 AM   #11
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
edit: ok, watched the video - I don't see the problem.
The cop lost his cool.

That's not cool.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:10 AM   #12
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
I see no problem with the officer yelling at him for being an irrespectful little punk. That said, he didn't have to go yank the skateboard without asking for it nor shove the kid.

But the kid coud have avoided all that by just being respectful of authority.

Hell, he knew he wasn't supposed to be there. You see a cop talking to you, what do you think he's there for? And you still give him an attitude and call him dude? You're an idiot. But like I said, there was no need to get physical nor say anything about getting killed, etc.

I can see a slight beef, but not a big freakin deal.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:11 AM   #13
ff

Quote:
Yeah, you might be right - it should be ok for kids to ignore the Police.
I didn't say that. What I said is that it's the officer's job to be calm and collected. You handle it the way he did, and you get in trouble.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:11 AM   #14
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
The cop lost his cool.

That's not cool.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:20 AM   #15
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
You guys who think this officer acted appropriately and "don't see the problem" have me worried.

He was way, way over the line, perhaps officer RIV-I-ERA has seen too many episodes of Dog The Bounty Hunter, or just felt ridiculous wearing those shorts, but it's clear he has a lot of issues and taking one's anger issues out on a bunch of kids is inappropriate.

Thankfully there's a video and rightfully, he was suspended.

Geeze....

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:34 AM   #16
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
You have got to be kidding me. What was over the line?

There are signs posted EVERYWHERE that say "no skateboarding" and kids are constantly being chased away from that area. They knew they were in the wrong. The kid can be heard continuing to ride the skateboard in the background after the other 2 stopped having understood/followed the officers directions.

The officer clearly asks the kid for the board and the kid turns away and tries to prevent the officer from confiscating it - how is this justifiable? The officer had to grab the kid at that point as it was the only way he was getting the board.

Oh, and (as a Baltimore county resident) the part where the officer asks the kid if he's from the county is hilarious.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:54 AM   #17
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:

There are signs posted EVERYWHERE that say "no skateboarding" and kids are constantly being chased away from that area. They knew they were in the wrong. The kid can be heard continuing to ride the skateboard in the background after the other 2 stopped having understood/followed the officers directions.

The officer clearly asks the kid for the board and the kid turns away and tries to prevent the officer from confiscating it - how is this justifiable? The officer had to grab the kid at that point as it was the only way he was getting the board.

Oh, and (as a Baltimore county resident) the part where the officer asks the kid if he's from the county is hilarious.
I think Terry put it best:

Quote:
While some may dismiss this as just opening a can of whoop-ass on some skateboarder punks, how would this officer have handled a convenience store robbery?
If you don't see it, you don't see it......

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:56 AM   #18
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
I'm curious how many skateboards he collects each weekend in the back of his golf cart pick-up. I highly doubt it was the first or second time the kid was warned. The push MIGHT have been a LITTLE excessive, but this is only a clip of what happened and he needed to confiscate the board.

And as bren said, there are signs ALL OVER the Inner Harbor that clearly say "No Skateboarding."
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:27 PM   #19
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
The cop is in trouble. He should be. You guys that don't see anything wrong with his behavior scare me as well. What would he have done if the kid had run? Shot him?

And when did they pass a law saying you can't call a cop "dude?" Or that you have to show some fat slob "respect" when he starts screaming in your face? Ignore him while he's pursuing his duty? Of course not, but if I want to call that dude "dude," there isn't really a lot he can do about it.

I loved the end whene he came over and asked it the camera was on and said "I better not see myse- as the kid turned it off.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:28 PM   #20
ff

Quote:
It's natural to have the feeling like you want to give the kid a swift backhand across the face. But cops know that they can't react that way.

If you want to help keep kids from skateboarding in the area, then install those little metal brackets every few feet on the curbs/concrete structures. They are very effective.

Or put up a sign that says that the police will confiscate the skateboard if they're caught skating in the area. Simply walk up to the kid, take his board without saying a word, and leave. The cop putting on a show with his mouth and pushing the kid down will only get him in trouble. Then the kid wins. That's a "Fail".
ff is offline   Reply With Quote