carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-20-2006, 10:52 PM   #101
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonoboy
of course you know this means I win the bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde
Does spontaneous left foot/leg and/or right arm amputation at childbirth run in your wife's family?

You guys....

(what they said. )
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:12 PM   #102
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Does spontaneous left foot/leg and/or right arm amputation at childbirth run in your wife's family?
I am of the believe that it is nice to have one slushy in the garage (for a variety of reasons) provided there is already at least one MT car.

So, I have no problem with the family car being a slushy.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:23 PM   #103
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando
I am of the believe that it is nice to have one slushy in the garage (for a variety of reasons) provided there is already at least one MT car.

So, I have no problem with the family car being a slushy.
you said that your wife will want/need a slushie, not about whether you'd have a problem with it

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 12:46 AM   #104
dan
redefined

Quote:
That assumed things remained remotely constant. I never imagined I would
yeah, that's kind of why I made the bet...

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showpo...0&postcount=52

I take paypal
Old 04-21-2006, 07:44 AM   #105
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonoboy
yeah, that's kind of why I made the bet...

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showpo...0&postcount=52

I take paypal
Hmmm...

"...there is nothing likely to happen..." I never imagined I would switch jobs. Unlikely events always happen. Like winning the lottery or losing a right leg.

Still, I don't have the time to research it, but the context of the argument was that I would get tired of the car and would want something else to replace it (with something better/nicer/more expensive - hence the comment of waiting until I was "debt-free" to buy it). That is not the case. I still like the car, a lot. And it is not being replaced.

Stop being such a gnat.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:52 AM   #106
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
you said that your wife will want/need a slushie, not about whether you'd have a problem with it
My wife can drive a stick. But she does not see it as a daily source of enjoyment. She doesn't mind/wants the sporty car in the house to have a MT, but she has no interest in dealing with a MT with kids around, when we go shopping, etc.

I guess it requires extra attention by her and she is not the smoothest MT driver. She oscillates from driving very sporty to driving like a grandma keeping rpms at like 1800.

Plus there is the whole issue (that I'm on-board with) of having a slushy in case one is ill or hurt, or need to ask someone else to drive the car, etc.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:18 AM   #107
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Plus there is the whole issue (that I'm on-board with) of having a slushy in case one is ill or hurt, or need to ask someone else to drive the car, etc.
Wow, now there is some advanced planning.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 09:37 AM   #108
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Hmmm...

"...there is nothing likely to happen..." I never imagined I would switch jobs. Unlikely events always happen. Like winning the lottery or losing a right leg.

Still, I don't have the time to research it, but the context of the argument was that I would get tired of the car and would want something else to replace it (with something better/nicer/more expensive - hence the comment of waiting until I was "debt-free" to buy it). That is not the case. I still like the car, a lot. And it is not being replaced.

Stop being such a gnat.
I'm with bono on this one. Your job deliberation musings here pre-date that post, your marriage and your home purchase. Something that wouldn't fall in the "likley" category would be something like loosing your left leg or right arm, the car being wrecked bad enough to either be totalled or sold immediately after repair, a job change that required or prompted MAJOR lifestyle changes, your wife becoming pregnant with quintuplets, etc (and, no...getting a new job with roughly similar pay within walking distance of your home doesn't make the above mentioned job change cut).

Admit it to yourself and stop trying to rationalize it into something that it isn't.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 04-21-2006, 09:49 AM   #109
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
Wow, now there is some advanced planning.
I have tendonitis in my right wrist. It comes and goes. But when it is bad, it kills. Shifting becomes less than fun. I had my left foot hurting like hell for a week after a soccer game last year. It hurt to press the clutch. Nobody else I know drives a stick. In case of an emergency that is bad. Etc, etc, etc.

Plus, that is what my wife wants and I am willing to grant her this request. End of story.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:49 AM   #110
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
she has no interest in dealing with a MT with kids around, when we go shopping, etc.
Comments like this only remind me how little I knew about being a parent (in every sense of the word) before becoming one. That's not call you or wife out, but just an observation that there are some things in life that we can't fully appreciate (for better or worse) until we experience them.

Quote:

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?