carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-05-2019, 03:21 PM   #41
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Fuckfacemother McFucker ghosted me all week whenever I tried putting together a time to give him money and sign papers for the 2003 Outback. Until moments ago, that is, when he texted that he can't sell the car.

Still haven't heard back from Subaru of America either, which really pisses me off. Just pick up the phone, call me, tell me, "Fuck no, we're not going to cover it," and let me move on.

Earlier today, I talked to my wife to get her mentally ready for choosing what will be her car for the next few years. She finally gave me some info I can use to narrow choices down for her. I think budget is probably going to be about $25k.

Big wagon to medium crossover. Basically, something with similar footprint, cargo, and passenger space as the Outback. Good visibility out.That sounds to me a lot like:

Honda CR-V
Mazda CX-5
Ford Escape
Toyota RAV4 (sigh)

They're all 5-11" shorter in length and close to the same width (Outback is 72" and these are all either 72" or 73"). Outback has 34 cubic feet behind the seats and these all have 31-38 (not sure how much of that space for Outback or the others is above the rear seat height, which we tend not to go over).

Anything I'm missing? Nissans are a no and not sure I want to try my hand at a GM product here. European stuff that hits the size targets is probably too pricey.

My preference would be for a used current gen car, but the current CRVs and CX5s introed as 2017s and they're not that much less expensive than new. The RAV4 became new for 2019 and the Escape is long in the tooth and feels like a bigger Focus.

Anticipate 20-22k/year on it for five years and it being covered with dings, dents, and scratches on the outside and smell a little "what smell are you trying to hide?" (but if you give it a week, it smells normal) at the end of the term. I'm leaning towards new to get "all of the miles" unless I can find something with super low miles and a way low price because of something like a big hail damage discount.
I really like the Escape, tbh. It drives like a smaller vehicle than it is; it feels like a bigger Focus, which isn't a bad thing. I haven't driven the smaller engined version, but with the 2.0L it's actually pretty good, in terms of performance.

My parents have had a string of like 6 of them, and my mother won't hear of getting anything else.

The fact that it's getting long-in-tooth means you might be able to get a deal on one.

A leftover RAV4 would be my other choice, in your shoes.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:42 PM   #42
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I really like the Escape, tbh. It drives like a smaller vehicle than it is; it feels like a bigger Focus, which isn't a bad thing. I haven't driven the smaller engined version, but with the 2.0L it's actually pretty good, in terms of performance.

My parents have had a string of like 6 of them, and my mother won't hear of getting anything else.

The fact that it's getting long-in-tooth means you might be able to get a deal on one.

A leftover RAV4 would be my other choice, in your shoes.
The 2.0 is only in the 2019 Titanium, right?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:45 PM   #43
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
The 2.0 is only in the 2019 Titanium, right?
No, that is incorrect, clyde.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 04-05-2019, 04:06 PM   #44
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
I'm thinking you should start to see deals on the Escape -- Ford just introduced the replacement this week (but it doesn't go on sale until fall)…

For GM, take a look at the Equinox. I haven't driven one, but have sat in them a couple times (work events…), and they are decent inside. Not sure how it prices for consumers (I've only looked at fleet pricing…). I just noticed that most of the trim levels have a 1.5L turbo though…

As for the Europeans, what about the VW Tiguan? The current version now has a longer wheelbase, so it doesn't look so odd (and the extra room went into the rear seat legroom…)
Old 04-05-2019, 05:10 PM   #45
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post

As for the Europeans, what about the VW Tiguan? The current version now has a longer wheelbase, so it doesn't look so odd (and the extra room went into the rear seat legroom…)

Maybe Mrs Clyde won't care, but I really had issues with the trans in the Tiguan I leased when we lived in WA. The shift points mapping sucked, but were probably necessary to obtain the MPG's VW said it could get.

Clicking it over to sport mode made a huge difference in drivabilty, but you loose some MPG's.

Never had a single issue with it. I had a facelift B7 model,(2013?) I see the transmission options have now changed
Old 04-05-2019, 05:11 PM   #46
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
I vote Honda CR-V based on reviews I have read.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 05:22 PM   #47
kognito
older fart than ZBB

I would vote for the Mazda
Old 04-05-2019, 05:36 PM   #48
clyde
Chief title editor

Tiguan doesn't have enough cargo space with seats up. For what it does have, Honda HRV is a way better value.

I kinda want the CX-5 to be the winner and CR-V is a close second. The Escape seems to be the one that will deliver the most for the least money. By far. Don't want to think about the Toyota because Toyota, but if it's the right one, shrug.

It's funny thinking back to Plaz's(?) recent car buying thread where I described what I normally do. I kinda don't want to do any of it. I want my wife to say "I want this," go out and give her a call a couple hours later to have her friend drive her to the dealer so she can drive it home and be done with it.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 04-06-2019, 08:03 AM   #49
kognito
older fart than ZBB

What are Ford current offers in your area?

When I bought our Focus, we got X plan price plus 0% for 60 months
Old 04-06-2019, 08:21 AM   #50
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
I've really been impressed with every Mazda cx5 interaction I've had.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote