carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 09-07-2017, 10:32 AM   #11
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Up through the 2017 model year, the discovery sport used a Ford sourced 2 liter ecoboost motor.

For 2018 they'll be using JLR's newly developed ingenium 4 cylinder engines that come in 2 outputs (up to 300 hp). That should help.

The f-type is the first car in the US to get this new engine - here's a review

http://www.caranddriver.com/jaguar/f-type

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting. I didn't realize they were still using the Ford mill.

It actually wasn't bad, even with the Ford engine. It wasn't a rocket ship, but then again it's not supposed to be. For normal day to day driving it had ample scoot.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:18 AM   #12
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Up through the 2017 model year, the discovery sport used a Ford sourced 2 liter ecoboost motor.

For 2018 they'll be using JLR's newly developed ingenium 4 cylinder engines that come in 2 outputs (up to 300 hp). That should help.

Here's a review of the fpace 25t (with new 4 cyl). I believe it's around the same weight as a discovery sport.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...rt-2017-review
Noooooooooo not the F-Type toooooo!! Stop the 4 banger madness. I am officially a mudgen now.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:22 AM   #13
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Noooooooooo not the F-Type toooooo!! Stop the 4 banger madness. I am officially a mudgen now.
I know. Bad enough to go Turbo with everything. We now have a turbo 4; a turbo 6, and a turbo 8. All auto.

Makes me want to add some little NA toy with a stick shift. But the garage is full.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:35 AM   #14
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
I just realized I've only had 3 turbo cars. V70R, MCS, and Turbo. No turbo cars currently.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:12 PM   #15
robg
Carmudgeon

Quick Review: 2017 Land Rover Discovery

Yeah - I think I'm over turbo 4 cyl cars for now as well (and I grew up driving Volvo and Saab 4 cyl turbos).

Been driving a 2008 x3 for the past few months and though it's slower on paper than the newer 4 cyl /8 speed versions it's just so much smoother and pleasant to drive.

Atleast jlr still offers a supercharged 6 or 8 cyl on most of their models (but not the discovery sport)

robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:16 PM   #16
robg
Carmudgeon

Quick Review: 2017 Land Rover Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Interesting. I didn't realize they were still using the Ford mill.

It actually wasn't bad, even with the Ford engine. It wasn't a rocket ship, but then again it's not supposed to be. For normal day to day driving it had ample scoot.

I've tried that powertrain in an evoque and definitely noticed significant lag in certain cases. Also did not like the 9 speed transmission.

Too bad since, on paper, the discovery sport is my favorite CUV. Looks good, decent practicality, compact size. Nice to have the option of a 3rd row for occasional use. Will be interesting to try it with the new engine though

Last edited by robg; 09-07-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:29 PM   #17
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
I want to see a 4 cyl turbo in the next-gen Wrangler. Also the diesel.

I'm going to get one of those engines.

The six cylinder is ill-suited to the vehicle in a lot of ways.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:04 PM   #18
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
I want to see a 4 cyl turbo in the next-gen Wrangler. Also the diesel.

I'm going to get one of those engines.

The six cylinder is ill-suited to the vehicle in a lot of ways.
I agree that the Pentastar six is not a great engine for a truck. Or even a big car. It's even ill-suited to the Charger.

But I don't think a turbo four is a good choice for the Wrangler. I don't off-road, but I can't imagine you'd be well served by having to let the boost build in order to get torque, even if it's available at low-ish RPMs. I think about how big a PITA it is to drive slowly up the parking garage deck in my office in our Golf, relying only on NA torque off-idle, and I can't imagine what a rock-crawler would feel like.

The Wrangler is such a porkpie these days that it needs a V8. I don't know why they resist putting one in.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:53 AM   #19
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Yeah - I think I'm over turbo 4 cyl cars for now as well (and I grew up driving Volvo and Saab 4 cyl turbos).

Been driving a 2008 x3 for the past few months and though it's slower on paper than the newer 4 cyl /8 speed versions it's just so much smoother and pleasant to drive.

Atleast jlr still offers a supercharged 6 or 8 cyl on most of their models (but not the discovery sport)

No more 5 series ?
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:32 PM   #20
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
No more 5 series ?

Yeah - the lease ended and I was ambivalent about what to replace it with. An opportunity to buy a relatives x3 came up so I've been using that. Maybe I'll start a perseveration thread of my own...