carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 08-18-2017, 09:45 AM   #1
JST

Quick Review: 2017 Land Rover Discovery

I got a new Land Rover Discovery Sport* as a service loaner this week, and thought I'd give some impressions.

This is the new, transverse-engined, 3 row SUV that shares the same platform (and powertrain) as the Evoque. As in almost everything these days, the engine is a 2 liter turbo hooked up to a gearbox with a metric shit-ton of gears (I think 9?).

The one I had was entry-level, meaning cloth seats, no sunroof, and a pretty basic presentation. Still, the cloth was nice and the interior materials were high enough quality that they registered a very small "not bad" face.

Underway, the 2 liter makes decent power once the boost comes on, and the 9 speed transmission does a...reasonable job of keeping it in the powerband. The transmission tuning on this, in terms of holding gears on deceleration and being in the right gear at the right time, was world's better than the last BMW I drove, though that was a long time ago.

The Achilles heel is that the engine is really overwhelmed when it's not on boost, and there are plenty of moments in stop and go driving (especially right on throttle tip-in) where you feel that lag. Also, the engine grumbles more than purrs, so much so that I wonder whether LR intentionally tuned it this way to sound a little more like a truck. Getting back into the Tesla was revelatory in terms of smoothness.

Handling is decent. It doesn't drive smaller than it is, but its not a large vehicle by SUV standards, so it's nimble enough. Body roll is present, of course, but not out of control.

The third row seats are basically usable only for 6 year olds, though with them folded there's decent cargo capacity.

Overall, it's a nice enough vehicle. If I had to buy a three row vehicle, I'd try and get something like this--it's not as obnoxious and annoying as many of the other, bigger options out there (cough, Explorer, cough). But I am glad I don't have to do that.

*Thanks Equ for catching this is a Discovery Sport, not a Discovery. This is a dumb naming convention and LR should be ashamed of themselves.

Last edited by JST; 08-18-2017 at 12:12 PM.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:58 AM   #2
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Is it the Discovery or the Discovery Sport? The latter is definitely 4-cyl transvers. The former should be the follower of the LR4, big, heavy and longitudinal.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:09 PM   #3
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Is it the Discovery or the Discovery Sport? The latter is definitely 4-cyl transvers. The former should be the follower of the LR4, big, heavy and longitudinal.
Sorry--Discovery Sport. You're right. It's confusing because the one I had said "D I S C O V E R Y" in big letters on the ass.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:39 PM   #4
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
wow, cloth seats

Could add to my wife list but British cars(indian?) scare me
Jeff_DML is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:42 PM   #5
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
wow, cloth seats

Could add to my wife list but British cars(indian?) scare me
I would add it. It's a really nice mix of practical and stylish; it's more usefully shaped than some of the entries in the segment.

I haven't driven an MDX, which I think is both bigger and might avoid the lag issue I noted above.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:26 PM   #6
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Sorry--Discovery Sport. You're right. It's confusing because the one I had said "D I S C O V E R Y" in big letters on the ass.
Well... at least They moved away from the LR2, LR3, LR4 naming convention
Old 08-18-2017, 02:30 PM   #7
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I would add it. It's a really nice mix of practical and stylish; it's more usefully shaped than some of the entries in the segment.

I haven't driven an MDX, which I think is both bigger and might avoid the lag issue I noted above.
thanks

Yeah I am a odd ball, I like a good quality cloth interior. Leather is hot, gets sweaty and have not figure out how to maintain long term. I don't care that cloth is not consider luxury.
Jeff_DML is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:56 PM   #8
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
Yeah I am a odd ball, I like a good quality cloth interior.
You and me both.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:10 PM   #9
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
do they offer any other engine choices? 2.0T seems mighty under sized to power that thing.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:28 AM   #10
robg
Carmudgeon

Quick Review: 2017 Land Rover Discovery

Up through the 2017 model year, the discovery sport used a Ford sourced 2 liter ecoboost motor.

For 2018 they'll be using JLR's newly developed ingenium 4 cylinder engines that come in 2 outputs (up to 300 hp). That should help.

Here's a review of the fpace 25t (with new 4 cyl). I believe it's around the same weight as a discovery sport.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...rt-2017-review
robg is offline   Reply With Quote