carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2017, 06:28 PM   #41
bren
lawn boy
 
bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Location: Maryland
Posts: 14,031
IIRC, all the new JGC AWD systems are fully electronic, a la xdrive, with nothing "mechanical".
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:45 PM   #42
wdc330i
dogged
 
wdc330i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '17 M240i; '17 718 Boxster S; '16 X5 50i MSport
Posts: 6,546
What about this RR. Note: I know nothing about RR's:

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/c...270037270.html

Edit: Two years older but with fewer miles. https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/c...235556315.html

We seem to have quite a few of these down here (along with lots of other high-end cars).
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:01 PM   #43
equ
Alphanumeric
 
equ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S/535i/JGC Diesel
Posts: 7,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
What about this RR. Note: I know nothing about RR's:

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/c...270037270.html

Edit: Two years older but with fewer miles. https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/c...235556315.html

We seem to have quite a few of these down here (along with lots of other high-end cars).
Those are both RR Sports. I'm only interested in the full-sized. Similar blocky looks but very different drives. The southern one that is a touch old but looks good is this one:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=462060687


Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
IIRC, all the new JGC AWD systems are fully electronic, a la xdrive, with nothing "mechanical".
They may be electronic, but they control mechanical clutches that form the center diff. Also different trims of JGC have different awd. Quadra drive II vs. Quadra trac II. I think QDII is better (and I'm sure most rental/lease spec JGC's don't have the rear diff).
equ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:04 PM   #44
bren
lawn boy
 
bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Location: Maryland
Posts: 14,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
They may be electronic, but they control mechanical clutches that form the center diff. Also different trims of JGC have different awd. Quadra drive II vs. Quadra trac II. I think QDII is better (and I'm sure most rental/lease spec JGC's don't have the rear diff).
Nope, I'm pretty certain it's all brake based now. Where's Lup when you need him.

Edit: looks like there is a way to get a rear ELSD via QDII.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:10 PM   #45
JST
195
 
JST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 19,828
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/j...ed-106633.html
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:23 AM   #46
ff
.
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Reminds me of this guy.
I wonder if Seth MacFarlane has seen that vid. That could easily be made into an extended scene in Family Guy.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:15 PM   #47
lemming
Eastern Promises
 
lemming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: Blue Pig
Posts: 13,711
i just had a brand new 2018 (?) Porsche Cayenne loaner vehicle.

the suspension is really dialed in.

and i'd have to guess that the all wheel drive is prety sophisticated, no?
__________________


lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:02 PM   #48
rumatt
Mugwump
 
rumatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, E91 325xi, Chevy Colorado, Cayman R
Location: NY
Posts: 16,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
i just had a brand new 2018 (?) Porsche Cayenne loaner vehicle.

the suspension is really dialed in.
Same.

The suspension was pretty nice. But did you hate the slushy transmission as much as I did? It was miserable.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:53 AM   #49
lemming
Eastern Promises
 
lemming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: Blue Pig
Posts: 13,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Same.

The suspension was pretty nice. But did you hate the slushy transmission as much as I did? It was miserable.
now that you mention it, yes.

between the start/stop off and the transmission it did not shift as smoothly as I would have thought.

and the car only had 200 miles on it.
__________________


lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:18 AM   #50
equ
Alphanumeric
 
equ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S/535i/JGC Diesel
Posts: 7,519
Did you have the PASM (if height adjustable it must have been)? I don't think the steel coils ride as well.

My 2013 Boxster's start/stop can be turned off and it's sticky (so I never have it turning off on me).
equ is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forums 2003-2008, 'Mudgeon Enterprises - Site hosting by AYN & Associates, LLC