carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 09-10-2017, 11:04 PM   #61
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by undefined View Post
actually it's most likely fixable. Screw right in the middle of the tread. Was able to refill with air and get it to Discount Tire
https://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034-T-...5098746&sr=8-3

And a compressor will take care of most punctures on the side of the road. It won't help like a spae would if the sidewall is fucked or you bend a wheel, but that's getting into pretty rare territory. Happens often enough to be a valid concern, but I'm more worried about my modern car stranding me somewhere because of a failed sensor or other electronic bullshit than that.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:53 AM   #62
dan
redefined

Yep, ordered right after I paid for the new tire (with 12v compressor)

I was dumb not to do this when I bought the new non rft's
Old 10-13-2017, 08:34 PM   #63
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Not really a RFT issue, but I didn't know where else to put this. . . I happened to notice a screw in the front right tire of my Focus. (very lucky to see it, was towing it behind our RV and must have "found" it somewhere in the last 250 miles of towing) I blow out in a towed vehicle can be very dangerous and expensive. I have seen pictures from folks who were unaware of a flat, and heat set tire on fire.

Anyhow, seeing as how We are in the middle of nowhere Georgia, I was afraid how much this was going to cost. After finding (as suspected) a donut spare I decided to drive it to a tire shop.

Went to a place called Kaufmann Tires, looked like it should be a chain type of store like a Goodyear service center.

After growing up hearing all sorts of horror stories about backwoods GA, imagine my surprise to find that this place charged me 1.29 for the patch AND THAT WAS IT!

If I find a Kaufmann near home, they will get my business again!!
Old 10-14-2017, 08:05 AM   #64
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Nice happy ending! And reassuring to hear, as I’d like to drive around the state more and two of our cars are non-runflats with no spares.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:42 PM   #65
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
Not really a RFT issue, but I didn't know where else to put this. . . I happened to notice a screw in the front right tire of my Focus. (very lucky to see it, was towing it behind our RV and must have "found" it somewhere in the last 250 miles of towing) I blow out in a towed vehicle can be very dangerous and expensive. I have seen pictures from folks who were unaware of a flat, and heat set tire on fire.

Anyhow, seeing as how We are in the middle of nowhere Georgia, I was afraid how much this was going to cost. After finding (as suspected) a donut spare I decided to drive it to a tire shop.

Went to a place called Kaufmann Tires, looked like it should be a chain type of store like a Goodyear service center.

After growing up hearing all sorts of horror stories about backwoods GA, imagine my surprise to find that this place charged me 1.29 for the patch AND THAT WAS IT!

If I find a Kaufmann near home, they will get my business again!!
Reminds me of a story from my dad and brother about getting a flat fixed by a naked guy in a trailer in nowhere west Texas in the middle of the night.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 10-14-2017, 03:44 PM   #66
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Nice happy ending! And reassuring to hear, as I’d like to drive around the state more and two of our cars are non-runflats with no spares.
Keep a plug kit in the cars. Won’t fix everything every time, but substantially reduces the chances of being stranded.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 10-14-2017, 04:56 PM   #67
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
I have a Green slime plug and patch kit in the 1er. It has gotten me home multiple times. Worth every penny
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:51 PM   #68
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Keep a plug kit in the cars. Won’t fix everything every time, but substantially reduces the chances of being stranded.
I should. There is an emergency kit in the trunk, but I frankly don't know what's in it--probably just a can of fix-a-flat. Any recommendations for a patch kit? I keep a portable compressor in the trunk already.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:19 PM   #69
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I have a Green slime plug and patch kit in the 1er. It has gotten me home multiple times. Worth every penny
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I should. There is an emergency kit in the trunk, but I frankly don't know what's in it--probably just a can of fix-a-flat. Any recommendations for a patch kit? I keep a portable compressor in the trunk already.
Slime will not help you make friends with your tire guy.

A plug kit is pretty basic. An awl to enlarge and roughen the puncture; a tool to insert the plug(s); some plugs; and maybe some rubber cement. Just a couple bucks at an auto parts store. You’ll also need pliers or something pull out whatever punctured he tire and a compressor to reinforce the tire.

If you’re lucky, you’ll see the puncture and be able to make the repair with the wheel on the the car. My luck is never that good. It takes some effort to get the awl and the reamer with the plug into the tire, but it’s not a difficult thing.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 10-14-2017, 09:30 PM   #70
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I would have given the tech a 20 dollar tip.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote