carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority

Old 08-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Drill-less front plate holder

The X5 I'm in the process of buying is not pre-drilled for a front plate and I'd like to keep it that way. I know at least one person here has used a tow hook plate mount and was wondering if people had any other ideas or could point me toward a reputable company.

Thanks.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post
The X5 I'm in the process of buying is not pre-drilled for a front plate and I'd like to keep it that way. I know at least one person here has used a tow hook plate mount and was wondering if people had any other ideas or could point me toward a reputable company.

Thanks.
I used one on my E90 M3. It was actually a "GOMINIGO" plate holder that I bought for the Mini (but they drilled the Mini anyway because they couldn't follow directions).

The one that I used did not have a backing plate that covered the whole plate--instead it used a pretty cheap stamped steel bracket that just went across the top of the plate. As a result, the plate was constantly getting bent. I've seen others that do use a backing plate that goes across the whole licenses plate, which might fix that problem.

It kept my bumper hole-free, but I'm not convinced it actually made the car look better. The combination of the off-center mount and the bent up plate led to more than one person asking me what the hell was wrong with my licenses plate.

I'm not sure I'd use one again.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
zach
swinging for the fences

Thanks. I'm pretty hesitant to drill holes but I don't want it to look stupid either.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
TD
Founder emeritus

Have you given any thought to just ignoring the requirement and simply not having a front plate? I have left off my front plate for years. Occasionally I get a warning but never a ticket. Is it worth the small risk of a small ticket to drive around with a goofy-looking tow hook plate mount all of the time?

If you're going to do the crime, you gotta be willing to do the time.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
I just don't use a front plate.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
zach
swinging for the fences

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
Have you given any thought to just ignoring the requirement and simply not having a front plate? I have left off my front plate for years. Occasionally I get a warning but never a ticket. Is it worth the small risk of a small ticket to drive around with a goofy-looking tow hook plate mount all of the time?

That's not a bad idea. I figured I would just stick it on for long trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I just don't use a front plate.
This is good to know. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
I have left off my front plate for years. Occasionally I get a warning but never a ticket.
I've been cited 3 times.

Those tow hook mounts don't look right, I'd just mount it up right before going that route.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #8
JST

Quote:

I wouldn't do that only because I do so much street parking in places like Alexandria and Arlington, and the police around here have not been shy about ticketing for things like out of date registration stickers. I have to believe they would ticket the hell out of you for no front plate. At $45/shot in Alexandria (e.g.) that would add up quickly.

The front plates bug me and I don't like the way they look, but I don't think my aesthetic objections are worth giving the cops an excuse to ticket/pull me over. I'd rather fly below that particular radar.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #9
GimpyMcFarlan
Confused

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2013 X3 Gray/Mojave
I have only received a ticket for running without a front plate once. Was parked at a meter in a popular dining district. Have parked at many other meters without a problem so I do not plan to attach the plate any time soon.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
I always figured the front plate would be something that got me in trouble when I got in trouble for something else - like speeding over 100 or going through an intersection sideways or something. But while I was waiting for the registration to arrive for the Z4, I was pulled over b/c of the plate in Burbank. I just figure it's not worth worrying about - I put them on. Otherwise I would worry about it excessively.

Low bumpers get pitted to hell in the desert anyway. I don't really think avoiding the holes for the plate mount matters all that much here.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote