carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-03-2020, 10:03 AM   #41
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
You need to elaborate !!
Here you go:

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showth...945#post555945
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 12:04 PM   #42
dan
redefined

I'm starting to think a lot about M2 Comps

I would think I'm sold on Long Beach Blue, but the Hockenheim Silver does look pretty striking in pics. I would never have thought I'd even consider a silver BMW over a blue one though

So...Theo?
Old 03-30-2021, 12:18 PM   #43
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
I'm starting to think a lot about M2 Comps

I would think I'm sold on Long Beach Blue, but the Hockenheim Silver does look pretty striking in pics. I would never have thought I'd even consider a silver BMW over a blue one though

So...Theo?
I looked at M2Cs more than I'd like to think about during the Camaro search. One of the things that kept me from getting excited about them was the total absence of interesting color choices. The blue is the least bad, IMO.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 12:22 PM   #44
dan
redefined

I like the blue quite a bit. I was surprised at liking the silver, though I've seen neither in person that I can remember

Also I'd think I'm at least a year away from doing anything, assuming nothing goes terribly wrong with my 135
Old 03-30-2021, 12:41 PM   #45
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
I like the blue quite a bit. I was surprised at liking the silver, though I've seen neither in person that I can remember

Also I'd think I'm at least a year away from doing anything, assuming nothing goes terribly wrong with my 135
I'm a big fan of the blue. It's what I had my eye on when I briefly considered that car a couple of years ago.

The silver is...nice, for silver, but the combination of the silver and the multi-spoke wheels reads a little too "elegant" and not "sporty" enough to me, given how bombastic the car is.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 12:51 PM   #46
Nick M3
Relic

Man do the colors suck. Definitely a no to the silver, though.

Why is it so hard to have a good red and a good blue in the line up? Don't give me these weird dull metallic colors.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 01:03 PM   #47
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post

Why is it so hard to have a good red and a good blue in the line up? Don't give me these weird dull metallic colors.
Yeah, it's weird, especially since there are so many more colors for the M3/M4. I guess they want to give you an incentive to buy the big brother.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 01:07 PM   #48
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yeah, it's weird, especially since there are so many more colors for the M3/M4. I guess they want to give you an incentive to buy the big brother.
Yeah... But even there, why is it so hard to have a good standout red and standout blue? Fucking Toyota can do it.

And when they do have a good red in the lineup, it's not available on the M cars, which is weird.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Old 03-30-2021, 03:50 PM   #49
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post

People don't buy cars in color anymore. Even colors are just slightly off the black to white mostly gray spectrum that makes up today's automotive spectrum. This is the modern BMW play: Aim for the middle and call it exciting. Don't dare be exciting.

A few years ago, I was looking out a window overlooking the Capital Beltway. It was a sunny day and there was hardly a car, SUV, or pickup that went by that was colorful. Black, white, gray, and silver made up an overwhleming majority. shades of muted blues, red, beige, and other meek and inoffensive colors made up almost all of the rest. Being generous, maybe every 10 seconds or so, a car would pass by that could be called bright or deeply saturated [red, blue, yellow, etc]. That's across eight lanes of traffic with a car passing every two seconds in each lane. Half of them were probably red, half of the remainder blue, and the rest something "other."

Most of my life, I've preferred driving cars that blend in colorwise and it's been annoying me more and more. I tried to buy a yellowish car when I bought the FoST, but it was taking too long and my second choice blue became available. I had slim left over pickings when I bought the turbo. I'm really happy I got the 1LE in orange.

I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Why would BMW go to the trouble and expense of designing, building, certifying, marketing, and supporting a model, but intentionally limit its appeal to drive customers to another model?

The one thing I can think of is a limited capacity to build it and the idea is to not create more demand than they can satisfy. If it were 30+ years ago, a homologation special might make sense.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 03:58 PM   #50
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
People don't buy cars in color anymore. Even colors are just slightly off the black to white mostly gray spectrum that makes up today's automotive spectrum. This is the modern BMW play: Aim for the middle and call it exciting. Don't dare be exciting.

A few years ago, I was looking out a window overlooking the Capital Beltway. It was a sunny day and there was hardly a car, SUV, or pickup that went by that was colorful. Black, white, gray, and silver made up an overwhleming majority. shades of muted blues, red, beige, and other meek and inoffensive colors made up almost all of the rest. Being generous, maybe every 10 seconds or so, a car would pass by that could be called bright or deeply saturated [red, blue, yellow, etc]. That's across eight lanes of traffic with a car passing every two seconds in each lane. Half of them were probably red, half of the remainder blue, and the rest something "other."

Most of my life, I've preferred driving cars that blend in colorwise and it's been annoying me more and more. I tried to buy a yellowish car when I bought the FoST, but it was taking too long and my second choice blue became available. I had slim left over pickings when I bought the turbo. I'm really happy I got the 1LE in orange.

I don't know.

Why would BMW go to the trouble and expense of designing, building, certifying, marketing, and supporting a model, but intentionally limit its appeal to drive customers to another model?

The one thing I can think of is a limited capacity to build it and the idea is to not create more demand than they can satisfy. If it were 30+ years ago, a homologation special might make sense.
Toyota's Mexico Blue ripoff color seems to be quite popular? I see a decent number of cars in perfectly satisfactory reds, too.

I mean, I get that people like colors that blend in. But BMW M seems to specialize in unappealing loud colors. It's the worst of all worlds.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo