carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2020, 12:04 PM   #11
wdc330i
dogged
 
wdc330i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '17 M240i
Posts: 8,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
I do agree thatís been a missed opportunity. MB and Audi have cashed in on that one and BMW could have made some $$ with a nice exclusivity premium.
Meanwhile, I just filled out some online survey for BMW about in-vehicle smartphone apps. How about work on a decent, practical, fun car? I'd even buy a 3 series GT at this point, if I could buy a new one with the B58 engine.

I'm less enthusiastic about buying a used version, when I already have a car about to lose its warranty and is already off maintenance.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:33 PM   #12
SARAFIL
I like BMWs
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '16 BMW 550i xDrive
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 5,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Meanwhile, I just filled out some online survey for BMW about in-vehicle smartphone apps. How about work on a decent, practical, fun car? I'd even buy a 3 series GT at this point, if I could buy a new one with the B58 engine.

I'm less enthusiastic about buying a used version, when I already have a car about to lose its warranty and is already off maintenance.

Unfortunately I think in a few years BMW lineup will be sedans, maybe a 2 and/or 4 coupe/GC, no convertibles, no roadsters, no more GTs or wagons, and then a full range of X models from X1 to X7 (possibly X8). The shift in demand towards SUVs is just so strong. We were already naturally heading this way but Covid-driven expense cuts will probably make it happen much faster.

On that note, Mercedes recently told US dealers they are cutting 7-ish models in near future. They havenít announced which ones but all of the coupes/convertibles in C, E, S class are rumored to be on the list plus CLS and the GT sedan (whatever they call that thing?). SLC (former SLK) is already dead and SL could be at risk in the future but I think safe for now.
__________________
2016 550i xDrive Sedan -- Alpine White / Mocha Nappa Leather
SARAFIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:43 PM   #13
Nick M3
Old Fart
 
Nick M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 9,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
I do agree thatís been a missed opportunity. MB and Audi have cashed in on that one and BMW could have made some $$ with a nice exclusivity premium.
I’ve never understood why so many of the niche fill BMW models have been the crappiest variants.
__________________
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
2002 BMW M3
1999 323i GTS2
1995 M3 S50B32, S6S420G, 3.91
1990 325is
1989 M3

Hers:
1988 325iX
1996 911 Turbo


Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:57 PM   #14
wdc330i
dogged
 
wdc330i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '17 M240i
Posts: 8,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Unfortunately I think in a few years BMW lineup will be sedans, maybe a 2 and/or 4 coupe/GC, no convertibles, no roadsters, no more GTs or wagons, and then a full range of X models from X1 to X7 (possibly X8). The shift in demand towards SUVs is just so strong. We were already naturally heading this way but Covid-driven expense cuts will probably make it happen much faster.

On that note, Mercedes recently told US dealers they are cutting 7-ish models in near future. They haven’t announced which ones but all of the coupes/convertibles in C, E, S class are rumored to be on the list plus CLS and the GT sedan (whatever they call that thing?). SLC (former SLK) is already dead and SL could be at risk in the future but I think safe for now.
Woof. Maybe I should give up on the practical car and order the last of the RWD 2 series convertibles...

Last edited by wdc330i; 08-02-2020 at 08:38 AM.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 02:53 PM   #15
SARAFIL
I like BMWs
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '16 BMW 550i xDrive
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 5,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Iíve never understood why so many of the niche fill BMW models have been the crappiest variants.

Yea agree. Too many niches that no one was asking for with the GTs, GCs, 8 series. I wish they had done an M3 or M5 wagon instead of forcing a 3GT or 5/6GT on us. Also for what itís worth, the new 8 series is flopping big time. BMW wonít be building any 2021 model M8 coupe/verts for US, just GC. Apparently the ďtake a 5 series coupe, relabel it from 6 series to 8 series and charge $$$ extraĒ strategy wasnít working for them. Itís not a bad looking car but just at least $20k overpriced in regular trim and even more so once you get to the M8 models.
__________________
2016 550i xDrive Sedan -- Alpine White / Mocha Nappa Leather
SARAFIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 02:37 AM   #16
Terry Kennedy
There and back again
 
Terry Kennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Location: New York
Posts: 2,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
I wish BMW had offered more variety in the wagons (E46 330, E91 335, F31 340, etc.) but I can understand why they didnít. I get the ďif they had imported it they would have sold more!!Ē argument but I really doubt there would have been enough additional sales to justify it.
Part of the blame can be placed at the FMVSS (the rest belongs to the manufacturers who don't press the issue). If a certain model powertarin (engine / transmission / cats / exhaust) is certified to US standards in one body style (330xi sedan) it should be possible to paper-certify that powertrain in a different body style (wagon) without going through the full round of expensive certification. Similarly, if a vehicle meets a more stringent acceptable foreign spec, it should be considered "type accepted" in the US.

Just look at the fugliness where the US was forced to use obsolete round sealed beam headlights and the manufacturers were falling all over themselves going "thank you! thank you!" when they were finally allowed to use rectangular sealed beam headlights while the foreign market had been using capsule lamps for multiple model generations. Or the giant protruding bumpers forced on imports (often with obscene suspension lifts to get them at the right height).

Then there was the "5MPH bumper" debacle - my '95 Talon came with a note that said that the bumpers were rated for collisions up to 5MPH, but that would result in "serious structural damage to both the bumper assembly and the vehicle chassis."

One of the few things I agreed with Stuka about was his "abolish NHTSA and FMVSS" goal. They could easily be replaced by adopting a common european standard.

Quote:
Case in point - look at various recent cars where enthusiasts insist on a manual being a ďmustĒ but then take rate is low single digits. Many of the enthusiasts online are potential 2nd, 3rd, 4th owners of these cars and that only works if they can find a 1st owner to buy it.
I think that speaks more to the lack of enthusiast interest in current BMW models, where people prefer to purchase older, better models.

Quote:
At its peak (pre-crossover/SUV boom) I think BMW sold 75-80k 3-series family in the US, all body styles (going off memory here, might be off a little). Sedans easily 60% of that based on my estimate, ballpark guess of 20%-ish coupes, letís call it 15% convertible and 5% wagon (thatís probably generous). 3/4-series market has been on decline for past decade as buyers migrate to X3. Itís just hard to make a business case for another wagon variant for what would have resulted in maybe an extra 1000 units per year. The ď1000 units a yearĒ business case makes more sense on an exclusive and high $$$$ model like an Alpina 7 or M760.
Over at the 'fest there was someone (I forget who) who posted quarterly sales breakdowns by exact model.

And BMW seems to have no qualms about extremely limited editions to flush out any remaining "on the fence" buyers when a model is about to go out of production. Wasn't the E46 ZHP the last "mass market" performance edition?
Terry Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:35 AM   #17
wdc330i
dogged
 
wdc330i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '17 M240i
Posts: 8,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Yea agree. Too many niches that no one was asking for with the GTs, GCs, 8 series. I wish they had done an M3 or M5 wagon instead of forcing a 3GT or 5/6GT on us. Also for what itís worth, the new 8 series is flopping big time. BMW wonít be building any 2021 model M8 coupe/verts for US, just GC. Apparently the ďtake a 5 series coupe, relabel it from 6 series to 8 series and charge $$$ extraĒ strategy wasnít working for them. Itís not a bad looking car but just at least $20k overpriced in regular trim and even more so once you get to the M8 models.
The M8 convertible is pretty gorgeous, IMO. In person.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:45 AM   #18
SARAFIL
I like BMWs
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '16 BMW 550i xDrive
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 5,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
The M8 convertible is pretty gorgeous, IMO. In person.

It is a really nice looking car, just not a $150k car. Itís basically an extension of the 5 series family and should have been priced as such (and kept the 6 series label).
__________________
2016 550i xDrive Sedan -- Alpine White / Mocha Nappa Leather
SARAFIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:49 AM   #19
wdc330i
dogged
 
wdc330i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '17 M240i
Posts: 8,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
It is a really nice looking car, just not a $150k car. Itís basically an extension of the 5 series family and should have been priced as such (and kept the 6 series label).
Indeed. It's what the 6 series convertible should have looked like all along.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:54 AM   #20
Alan
What ev's
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
The M8 convertible is pretty gorgeous, IMO. In person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
It is a really nice looking car, just not a $150k car. Itís basically an extension of the 5 series family and should have been priced as such (and kept the 6 series label).
The 8 series really are beautiful cars, it looks Astoníish ... my son has been pushing me to replace the 5er which is up at the end of this year with the 4 door model but I agree with Sarafil, the price point is too high and I just donít see a reason to spend that kind of $$ on an everyday car especially when I am happy with the model I have.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
n52 longevity equ Car Talk 7 10-07-2007 10:11 PM
Question 1: BMW Longevity / Ownership Issues? lupinsea Car Talk 39 01-24-2006 02:47 PM
E39 Longevity ZBB Car Talk 22 12-14-2005 03:16 PM
Oil longevity article Rob Technical Superiority 7 04-16-2005 02:43 PM
Oil longevity article iiotoko Car Talk 7 01-01-1970 11:34 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forums © 2003-2008, 'Mudgeon Enterprises - Site hosting by AYN & Associates, LLC