carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-05-2022, 08:05 PM   #141
SCA
Jaded

The first one to hit Cars & Bids: https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3qq...022-rivian-r1t

There been several listed online, even one at a Porsche dealer in Colorado. Currently they range from $130-$150k.

Edit: Three currently list on eBay.

Last edited by SCA; 04-06-2022 at 11:55 AM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 10:00 PM   #142
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
My buddy Ken had an early model S. The quality was pretty bad. Lots of squeaks and rattles, and the sunroof showed globs of sealant around its interior frame. Then it consumed its drive unit. To Tesla's credit, they fixed it under warranty. He sold the car not long after.

My boss is still driving an early model S 60. It just ate its drive unit. They replaced it, and it's now making really bad sounds.
I put 93k+ miles on mine in just over 5 years. No squeaks or rattles, other than one coming from under the dash that service was able to fix (I suspect it was a bundle of wires that just needed a strap - and the S has an access panel on each side that you can get to when the door is open…). I also had a drive unit replaced during the first year - but that was preemptive after the service manager did a test drive with me to check an alignment issue. I saw lower energy use/more range with the newer unit, so that was a plus…
Old 04-06-2022, 01:58 PM   #143
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
The first one to hit Cars & Bids: https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3qq...022-rivian-r1t

There been several listed online, even one at a Porsche dealer in Colorado. Currently they range from $130-$150k.

Edit: Three currently list on eBay.
insanity. It's an interesting vehicle and all but I can't imagine throwing money away just to have "bragging rights" of being one of the first on the block to have one.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 02:33 PM   #144
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
My buddy with the reservation is planning to take delivery and flip it.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 10:33 PM   #145
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
insanity. It's an interesting vehicle and all but I can't imagine throwing money away just to have "bragging rights" of being one of the first on the block to have one.
Agree…

Same can be said for those that spend $100-125k over MSRP for a 992 GT3 or a new G Wagen.

Quote:
When is their estimated delivery? Soon? If the second hand market is there nor flooded I suspect a lot of pre-holders will attempt to cash in.

Last edited by SCA; 04-06-2022 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-06-2022, 11:39 PM   #146
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
This is the world we live in now. Just like concert tickets. You don’t really want to go, you just buy them all up to resell.

I hate that shit.

Same thing with the housing market. First time buyers without 100% cash are fucked.

I will not buy a G87 with mark up either. I already know it’s going to be a $70K plus car with options.
Old 04-07-2022, 06:12 AM   #147
John V
No more BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
When is their estimated delivery? Soon? If the second hand market is there nor flooded I suspect a lot of pre-holders will attempt to cash in.
He is in the first thousand reservations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
This is the world we live in now. Just like concert tickets. You don’t really want to go, you just buy them all up to resell.
I don't see how it's that different than, say, buying stock in an individual company. You're placing a bet that you'll be able to sell a scarce resource at a higher price.

With concert tickets, the scarcity is largely manufactured, which is the shitty part.
Old 04-07-2022, 07:38 AM   #148
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
I will not buy a G87 with mark up either. I already know it’s going to be a $70K plus car with options.
I am afraid you may have missed the boat as most BMW Centers throughout the country are selling M Cars with a ADM of $5-10k+. I do not foresee BMW dealers giving up ADMs until inventory has become plentiful which is usually never the case with M cars or the economy is in the toilet. If you are seriously considering one I would locate a dealer that is willing to sell at a minimum ADM ASAP and give a refundable deposit. Otherwise, cross your fingers and wait.

Quote:
He is in the first thousand reservations.
He can realistically pocket $20-30k+. 1,227 customers units were delivered in Q1. Allegedly some 4000 VINs now on the roads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DAE5FCC4-206D-4065-9F6A-B27EDC0EB114.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	14482  

Last edited by SCA; 04-07-2022 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-07-2022, 08:08 AM   #149
John V
No more BMWs

What are the odds. I got this from him this morning. Maybe he's thinking about keeping it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix
Dude, I am so pissed (first world problems, but still).

I ordered November 2018, reservation number 1648, and have gotten zero communication or anything besides "Your estimated delivery window is March/April 2022"

I am on the forums, and there are people who have ordered well after me that have received their truck, I'm talking as late as 2020. Even shittier it's not my location, I drove back from the gym through the center of town the other day and there was one parked at a restaurant. Not my configuration either, there are people that have had the exact same configuration be contacted and told "Hey, if you want your truck earlier, you can switch to a different interior color." but I have had no such contact. Trucks with my exterior color have been delivered, my interior color is apparently in production too, but who the hell knows.

At least it's not as bad as the other guy on the forums who's neighbor ordered a year and a half after him and already got his, while he's still in the dark.

I'm not the only 2018 reservation holder that's in this camp. It seems like a complete random cluster in terms of how they are prioritizing deliveries (i.e. they are not) despite what they said in the past years (Launch Edition reservations get priority delivery), because they have already delivered non-Launch Edition trucks.

Seems like a cool truck, and I AM locked into their older cheaper pricing, but still so crummy the lack of communication while for some others it's all green grass and high tides (or whatever).

Morning rant over.

Maybe I should just get an F-Type.
Old 04-07-2022, 08:29 AM   #150
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
I don't see how it's that different than, say, buying stock in an individual company. You're placing a bet that you'll be able to sell a scarce resource at a higher price.
The main purpose stock serves is to be resold. I think that makes it quite a bit different than a concert ticket where the primary purpose is to admit entry to a one-time only performance or a vehicle's primary purpose of providing transportation from here to there. OTOH, if the vehicle is Civic, I'm probably going to view it differently in this context than I would a Veyron.

There's fundamentally nothing wrong with profiting from owning/controlling something that someone else is willing to buy. As a society, we've generally agreed that there are limitations to that by creating laws about price gouging, insider trading, requiring disclosures, requiring silence, price caps, etc.

Where it starts getting iffy is when not everyone has an equal opportunity to purchase from the source at the original price and when that unequal access is utilized with the intent to profiteer.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote