carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 04-18-2019, 10:47 AM   #1
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Boxster advice

So, I hardly drove the Boxster last year. I have been driving it to work on nice days, but other than that it's really not seeing much use. So I'm fairly committed to selling it at this point.

So, um. How? Where do I list it? I put one car on Craigslist and regretted that decision. I listed my last Boxster on Autotrader and I got more spam e-mails by far than I did legitimate buyers. But it did eventually sell.

Someone recommended I join the PCA and list it there. I've gotten suggestions about planet-9 and rennlist. I'm honestly thinking of taking it to CarMax to see what (certainly lowball) offer they'll give me.

Thoughts? It's an excellent car, and I really love it, but I just haven't been that into having a convertible around, and I'd rather just put the money into investments and drive the Mazdaspeed into the ground at this point. It seems silly to keep paying registration and insurance for it to depreciate in my garage.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:55 AM   #2
dan
redefined

hm, It's been almost 10 years but I sold my Elise on Autotrader and don't remember getting any spam
Old 04-18-2019, 11:01 AM   #3
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
Is it too new or not special enough to do Bring a Trailer? I'm curious on the best way to sell now too. I know you mentioned it before, but I think you will have to be a little patient to get what it's probably worth?

My FR-S will be going to CarMax soon to get a ballpark idea, but I hope I can use their number for a trade or find a decent place to sell/trade it quickly (in June/July).
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:12 AM   #4
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
I say Rennlist and Autotrader.

I've had luck with both. With the 997TT I got no spam (but some silly low-ball offers) from Rennlist and eventually sold it through it.

Autotrader has spam calls & emails but it's not horrific.

Craigslist is surprisingly effective.

I've never traded in a car in my life.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:14 AM   #5
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I second PCA and Rennlist. No harm in planet-9 as well. I expect carmax and other book-driven prices will end up too low on that particular car. 2009-2016 era of non-turbo, reliable porsches have and will hold value.

I was at a Jalopnik party last night in NYC. Chatted with some sort of m3 flipper (they've done some articles on his cars). He did say that he's had sales close on BaT with the buyer easily being able to back out or demand a PPI after sales seemed final. Often BaT refund the 5% fee back to the buyer in that case and the seller gets nothing. I'd expect that more likely after a bidding war hangover and morning-after logic kicking in, but something to keep in mind. Ebay sales may be more final.

So yeah, why don't you put it on PCA and rennlist for a couple of months? Perfect season for it. I can check if I can list on your benefit on the PCA, I already have the membership.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:15 AM   #6
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Cargurus is pretty cool, sort of a smart upstart to autotrader and cars.com. One thing I don't like is the automatic book valuation added on. This is of no help to the seller when you're trying to get some value out of your (rare) sale.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:33 AM   #7
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
With BMWs, I've had good luck with Autotrader and BMWCCA. Oh, and this site!

You will get some spam with Autotrader, but it's easy enough to deal with.

Anyone know anything about Carvana?

From an interface point of view, I like perusing Cargurus.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:57 AM   #8
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
I sold my Cayman on Rennlist.

If I were you I'd put yours on Rennlist listed for a price that would make you very happy, and let it sit.

I had almost no contact for mine, so it was low effort while it was listed. I was thinking - hmmm, it's over priced. Then one day the right buyer called who was looking for exactly what I was selling and he offered full price. He's absolutely thrilled with the car. He insists that I stop by for beers if I'm ever in Chicago. Win win.

If you're not in a hurry it's worth a shot. Your car in awesome condition. Don't take lowball offers.

EDIT: The only hits I got from PCA was a few months later when the ad finally appeared in print in their magazine. I got 2-3 people contact when that ad went live, but the car had already sold.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:22 PM   #9
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Thanks, this is helpful. I think you have to pay to list on Rennlist, but it sounds like it could be worth it.

I would never use BaT. You basically need to be live for the duration of the auction to respond to stupid questions from every clown that trolls that site. I also don't think they would list it, it's just another Boxster S.

I think I'll try Rennlist and see where it goes. It won't break my heart if it doesn't sell, but I'm just getting less and less interested in "nice" cars to daily drive.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:23 PM   #10
Alan
Carmudgeon

I used to recommend ebay but after my last few auctions with the R8 I am not too sure plus now they are charging me double the price for my auctions because I put 4 of them in a row to sell my car (some of them I ended early because I didn't like the high bidder) and I am now considered a high volume seller with my understanding of no hopes of getting back to the normal rates. Meanwhile the last car I sold before that was 4 years earlier.

With ebay I was getting mostly dealers bidding on my car and it was getting really annoying, I finally had to block their bids and put them on a no bidding list but that was mostly because of their attitude in the messages back and forth.

Anyway back to the topic, Autotrader ended up working out really well and I'd recommend it, one price and it's listed until the car sells, I met some really cool car enthusiasts and as you guys already know the car sold.

I'm not crazy about rennlist because I frequent that board and really don't want to hear from the buyer after the car sells or read about my car on the forums.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote