carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-18-2019, 05:32 PM   #21
clyde
Chief title editor

If I were considering a used S, I think my thinking would basically be a three question process:

How much do I want it? Answer: [This much]

How bad could the worst possibly be (within realistic reason)? [Could cost me $X over six months if I want out]

Is [answer 2] more or less than I'm willing to spend to satisfy [answer 1] desire?

It sounds like the buying process for a used S could be pretty terrible, but if I wanted the car, I'd hold my nose and deal with it.

I'd try hard to not overthink it or indulge in too much analysis. Given the environment, it doesn't seem like the likely worst case isn't that bad. If I wanted the car, I'm pretty sure I'd take the gamble.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:20 PM   #22
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Considering that my car is still in the shop, I haven't experienced the fart app yet
Let's not let this line slide for anyone considering a Tesla. It's insane that you don't have your car back yet.

I really like my Model 3, but I don't advise anyone getting a Tesla unless they are so smitten they are willing to put up with the warts and risks and still have no regrets.

And there's no way I would own one if I didn't have another (ICE) vehicle for backup.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:09 PM   #23
robg
Carmudgeon

Drove by a Tesla store after taking my son to a doctor's appt today. Decided to go in and check out the latest/greatest Model S. We tried some of the easter eggs (my son liked the Mars theme, while I got a laugh out of the fireplace with Barry White playing). Also tried out Pole Position using the steering wheel.

Anyway, when we got out a guy was standing there and asked me if my kid was in a booster (he will be soon). He told me that he just took one for an overnight test drive, and the booster blocked the seatbelt receptacle so now he's looking at an X (I guess the seatblet buckless are set closer to each other than in other cars). I then decided to check out the LATCH and tether connectors. The lower LATCH connectors are about an inch up from the seat bottom and the tethers are buried in the carpet on the back of the seats (seemsl ike you'd have to use a knife to free them).

Also was curious about the center console. It seemed like a potential improvement but it takes up a lot of space for only really offering spcae for 2 drinks and a phone. Seems like you can squeeze some stuff ahead of the adjustiable cupholders but it won't be easily accessible. The car we sat in had the matte ash trim (light colored) and I didn't care for it. DIdn't fit the character of the car at all. Not sure why they did away with the Obeche trim from the older versions.

I really don't get what they're doing w/ the right steering scroll wheel. They let you choose from a bunch of things that you'd rarely use while driving (fan speed, turning climate control off etc) and yet neglect to even allow you to swich media sources or scroll through songs. Its like the people who design their UI never actually drive. The steering wheel buttons also feel a bit toylike.

Ended up sitting in the seats for a good 20 minutes playing around with the controls and my back got sweaty, so the "vegan" leather is a definite no-go. Would've been better if they offered alcantara as a seat upholstery option like Audi And Porsche do in some models. The seat controls are also hard to reach when the door is closed (not enough room) and the button that moves the seat fore/aft is uncomfortably sharp at the front. The seats themselves seemed comfortable at first but questionable how they'd be on a long drive. I guess these are the newerTesla manufacturered "premium seats", so the "next gen" seats in the various used cars I was looking at would be different.

On a postive note, I liked the alcantara headliner and all the materials had a pleasing appearance. The easter eggs did make me laugh and the touch screen was super responsive. But overall, I left with a longer list of annoyances.

Funny enough on our way home, our car started making screeching noises from the brakes. Drove it to the dealer who told me it sounds like a rock got caught between the rotor and shield (easy fix) but that i'm due for an oil change anyway. So they got me a new X3 loaner and we were in and out in 20 mins. Even though it's a base X3 with a 4 cyl its really nice. They've managed to improve pretty much everything (still prefer the turbo 6 in my car of course). I"m back to being tempted to just get the x3 m40i as our next famly car. I estimate it would only cost $50 more a month overall (assuming a 3 year lease) vs buying a 50k model S and selling it in 4 years. +$100 in fuel -50 in insurance (the lease cost of ~620 pm is a wash with the est depreciation, maintenance, tires and interest/opportunity cost for a 50k used tesla). And, the worst case scenarios for the TEsla result in an even higher cost. Might take a look at an Audi S5 sport back as well.

Anyway, ended up being an unplanned car shopping day. DIdn't realize Tesla offers overnight test drives to anyone who asks. I may try that at some point.

But, as Rumatt points out, it's probably not realistic to think that the tesla could be our only car. As a 3rd car, used for commuting, it might make more sense.

Last edited by robg; 02-18-2019 at 11:44 PM.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:13 AM   #24
Alan
Carmudgeon

That is some write up Rob, I’m walking away from it thinking your not too crazy about the Tesla. The short lines you wrote about the X3 had a more positive feel.

I love the S5 sportback, I just had another A5 sportback loaner last week and thought it was an awesome car, I really don’t see the need for the S model though if your leasing for some reason the A5/S5 aren’t leasing out too great at least when I was looking back in October/November.

The A4 leases out a lot better and the cars feel exactly the same.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:35 AM   #25
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
The Model 3 is not a small car. You definitely want something as big as an S?
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:37 AM   #26
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
That is some write up Rob, I’m walking away from it thinking your not too crazy about the Tesla. The short lines you wrote about the X3 had a more positive feel.

I love the S5 sportback, I just had another A5 sportback loaner last week and thought it was an awesome car, I really don’t see the need for the S model though if your leasing for some reason the A5/S5 aren’t leasing out too great at least when I was looking back in October/November.

The A4 leases out a lot better and the cars feel exactly the same.
Thanks Alan. I've rented a bunch of A4s through silvercar, and I just didn't like the sound/feel of the 4 cyl that much. Seems to idle roughly much of the time. Not a fan of BMWs 4 cyl either, though this x3 i have now does idle pretty smoothly. I'll have to see what the actual incremental lease cost is between 4 and 6 cyl versions though.

I know I sound overly negative on the Tesla- I guess it comes frustratingly close to greatness. If they could just be more customer focused I think they could easily improve all the little nits.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:42 AM   #27
JST

Re: boosters. Some work better than others. The wider the base, the bigger the problem, but I found a Recaro that was fine, and the cheapy Cosco from Target actually works well, too.

The booster/seatbelt thing is an annoyance, but it's also a problem on a lot of other cars I've driven--most Fords have absolutely dumb belt positioning. Why is this hard to crack? I really don't know. The VW Golf has basically perfect belt positioning. People should just copy that.

I prefer the Model 3 to the Model S for a bunch of reasons--it's faster, it's more fun, and it's easier to park. On the other hand, if I still had a stroller I don't think the 3 would be big enough as a single traveling car.

I can't tolerate the BMW 4 cylinder and would never buy a car with one. I feel the same way about the BMW automatic, though maybe they've finally figured out shift programming?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:56 PM   #28
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Re: boosters. Some work better than others. The wider the base, the bigger the problem, but I found a Recaro that was fine, and the cheapy Cosco from Target actually works well, too.

The booster/seatbelt thing is an annoyance, but it's also a problem on a lot of other cars I've driven--most Fords have absolutely dumb belt positioning. Why is this hard to crack? I really don't know. The VW Golf has basically perfect belt positioning. People should just copy that.

I prefer the Model 3 to the Model S for a bunch of reasons--it's faster, it's more fun, and it's easier to park. On the other hand, if I still had a stroller I don't think the 3 would be big enough as a single traveling car.

I can't tolerate the BMW 4 cylinder and would never buy a car with one. I feel the same way about the BMW automatic, though maybe they've finally figured out shift programming?
Good to know- i haven't bought a booster yet so will check out the Recaro (at the very least it will ensure a greater chance of fitting any rental cars we might have while travelling).

I have no complaints with my x3 35i transmission programming - but I know what you mean based on my previous 528i. Very occasionally, if I'm in "DS" mode and accelerate hard from a stop and then lift off I can get a rough feeling shift. I haven't driven the loaner x3 enough to know how the shift programming is but didn't notice any immediate annoyances. I do think Audi generally does a better job of programming their regular automatic and DCT transmissions. BMW does a much better job with their paddles (Audis feel like cheap plastic) and I find the e-shifter less finicky. And atleast with the new X3, they've finally caught up to (and possibly surpassed) Audi when it comes to interior quality. Regardless, I hope to avoid a 4 cyl regardless of which car I end up with next. Just haven't really enjoyed them in any car I've tried them in- and having a BMW inline 6 again makes me further appreciate not having a 4.

As for the Model 3, yeah, I don't think it's big enough and my wife really wants something with a hatchback (plus she's also an XM fan) . Also, the mandatory vegan leather is a deal breaker for me. The front seats felt like they might be slightly more comfortable than the S. The exterior door handles also seem like they'd become a PITA while trying to wrangle a toddler. Door pockets are nice though. While I was in the Tesla store, a woman who was trying out the backseat in a 3 panicked cause she couldn't figure out how to open the door (She started banging on the window to be let out). I actually kind of like the button-based door release although I could see it getting annoying to always have to remind front seat passengers not to pull the emergency release handle (which pretty much everyone did while i was in the showroom). They probably should've located the lever on the floor a la Corvette.

Last edited by robg; 02-19-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:57 PM   #29
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Thanks Alan. I've rented a bunch of A4s through silvercar, and I just didn't like the sound/feel of the 4 cyl that much. Seems to idle roughly much of the time. Not a fan of BMWs 4 cyl either, though this x3 i have now does idle pretty smoothly. I'll have to see what the actual incremental lease cost is between 4 and 6 cyl versions though.

I know I sound overly negative on the Tesla- I guess it comes frustratingly close to greatness. If they could just be more customer focused I think they could easily improve all the little nits.
I think the x3 m40i might be pretty great. The reviews compare it favorably to the Macan and that says a lot in terms of handling, today's CUV's match yesterday's sedans in turning....

I test drove a car yesterday as well, will make a separate thread. I do think the 2016 LCI update to the f30 3-series is significant.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:11 PM   #30
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post

The A4 is a bit of a bland car, though very competent. Just like bmw's, it absolutely needs the 6-speed manual, sports seats, better suspension spec as opposed to rental/loaner car 328i spec. While the engine feels better in the GTI, after gearing, economy and overall feel, I miss the 4-cyl A4 more than the v6 supercharged S4, which had enormous power, but just not as nice to drive over long distances in the real world.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote