carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 12-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #341
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
Thanks lem. We lean more towards wagons than SAV's, because we prefer the lower COG.

Why haven't we seen any pics of your 135iC lately? Assuming that you still have it of course.
i really like the new 328 xdrive wagon (turbo) --but i am not convinced it's a great buy for me, as a value proposition.

i agree with you about lower c.o.g. --i just picked up 535 xdrive wagon to replace 135i.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #342
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
i really like the new 328 xdrive wagon (turbo) --but i am not convinced it's a great buy for me, as a value proposition.

i agree with you about lower c.o.g. --i just picked up 535 xdrive wagon to replace 135i.
The new 328's are just so expensive. I look at what I paid for my 335 vs. a comparable 328, and it was a no-brainer. My parents are also picking up a new F30 335 in a few weeks to replace their E90 328xi that is coming off lease, and the cost gap between the F30 328 and 335 was also a no-brainer in their case as well.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #343
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
The new 328's are just so expensive. I look at what I paid for my 335 vs. a comparable 328, and it was a no-brainer. My parents are also picking up a new F30 335 in a few weeks to replace their E90 328xi that is coming off lease, and the cost gap between the F30 328 and 335 was also a no-brainer in their case as well.
I was horrified at how much F30 328 wagons cost. I could justify it if it was for an F30 335, but not for the 328.

I agree with you though, the cost differential between the models when leasing is minimal.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #344
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Carmudgeonly Ride: 11 1 M; 11 328iT; 22 M240ix
I saw a spec'd 328 diesel wagon on the dealers lot not too long ago that stickered for $61k.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #345
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
There are a lot more gizmos available on the 3 that were once the domain of the 5. And hp is better than the old 330i. But still. Glad we bought the e91, and plan to hold on to it for a long time. Ditto the e70. It's hard to imagine climbing the mountain again for a new BMW.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #346
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
I saw a spec'd 328 diesel wagon on the dealers lot not too long ago that stickered for $61k.

Yeah that's crazy, but you can exercise restraint. My 335xi sedan is mostly loaded except for a few silly options and stickered for $57k. My folks are getting a slightly more modest 335xi that stickers for $53.5k. There are the oddball examples of BMWs out there, but you have to remember that BMW is offering a lot more optional equipment these days because the margins on options are HUGE... things like tech gadgets, paint colors and trims. If you do an apples-to-apples comparo only including items you could normally get on prior models, it's really not that bad.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #347
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
I said this in the past... Prior to getting the Tesla, I specced out a 335, an A5 and an A7.

The 335 and A5 were both $55-56k. The A7 was ~$70.

Between loan payments, fuel savings, and registration cost, the cost of the Tesla is right about the same as the 335 and A5. The A7 was obviously more.

When the Gen III Tesla is out, it should price out fairly similar to a 3er or A4/5. The fuel and registration savings just be bonus...
Old 12-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #348
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Yeah that's crazy, but you can exercise restraint. My 335xi sedan is mostly loaded except for a few silly options and stickered for $57k. My folks are getting a slightly more modest 335xi that stickers for $53.5k. There are the oddball examples of BMWs out there, but you have to remember that BMW is offering a lot more optional equipment these days because the margins on options are HUGE... things like tech gadgets, paint colors and trims. If you do an apples-to-apples comparo only including items you could normally get on prior models, it's really not that bad.
Yeah- not sure how this meme got started that bmws and cars in general are more expensive than ever. Whenever I've compared inflation adjusted prices to cars of 5,10,15 or 20 years ago the prices today are often the same or cheaper (in the case of bmw). It makes sense because there's more and better competition now. And that's without playing games like "well a Hyundai sonata turbo outperforms an e30 m3 so lets compare the inflation ajjusted prices". If you adjust for equipment, performance and safety today's cars blow past ones out of the water for value. Driving involvement, of course, is another matter. Yet how many of us actually daily drive e30s or even e36s anymore.

The other criticism of newer cars is always that they are too complex to fix. But that's been said of every generation now and what once seemed like rocket science is now a project for a home enthusiast with a laptop.

One if the car mags did a timeline of 911 prices over the years a few months ago. Iirc, prices actually peaked in the 80s.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #349
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Yeah- not sure how this meme got started that bmws and cars in general are more expensive than ever. Whenever I've compared inflation adjusted prices to cars of 5,10,15 or 20 years ago the prices today are often the same or cheaper (in the case of bmw). It makes sense because there's more and better competition now. And that's without playing games like "well a Hyundai sonata turbo outperforms an e30 m3 so lets compare the inflation ajjusted prices". If you adjust for equipment, performance and safety today's cars blow past ones out of the water for value. Driving involvement, of course, is another matter. Yet how many of us actually daily drive e30s or even e36s anymore.

The other criticism of newer cars is always that they are too complex to fix. But that's been said of every generation now and what once seemed like rocket science is now a project for a home enthusiast with a laptop.

One if the car mags did a timeline of 911 prices over the years a few months ago. Iirc, prices actually peaked in the 80s.
All true and all relative, the biggest expense of any new car is simply that it's new - the money lost in the first two years of depreciation is the killer.

Also, charging a premium for diesels is no way to get people to "save money" on gas .... the only way to really get ahead of the game is to buy used - starting with CPO and moving downward - I read once a car hits 10 to 15 years it bottoms out in depreciation.
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #350
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Screw CPO. The only real way to stay ahead of the game is to buy used and sell before the car gets too "used." I've done that for years and have essentially driven cars for free for the entire time (minus expendables). Of course to do that you have to be impervious to the new shiny thing phenomenon.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote