carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 12-14-2004, 01:31 PM   #1
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
The new ride - and what happened.

Yes, it's a CTS-V. The finances are a strugle to rationalize, but I really liked the car. I also seem to have a car buying problem - if I consider something new, the stars seem to line up and remove all of the excuses not to make a switch. Hopefully this one will last longer than two years. Otherwise I am going to end up on the top of the list of financially foolish car moves. On the other hand, I did really, really well with the prices I got for the other cars.

The dealer offered a very lowball price for the M3. So I decided to offer it privately at a premium. I got an offer for $1500 less then I paid for it in two days.

Yes, it has a couple grand in mods, but I didn't ever expect to get dollar for dollar on the mods and the car has 20k more miles than it had when I bought it.

Ok, that leaves the MINI that has been on the market for three months. What the heck - I ask the dealer what they would give on a trade for that car. I didn't even have the car for them to inspect - and they offered $500 less than the original sticker price.

Remember, on a car I haven't been able to sell for three months.

Wait - there's more. I payed invoice for the CTS-V. I still wasn't quite sure I wanted to spend the money, but the salesman called and said if I signed the deal by the end of November, there was $1500 of trunk money available (not his terms, but you get the point). So I went and signed the deal (before they came to their senses about the trade in price) and made them get a car from another dealer. There are only four color options and the sun roof and performance shocks. They had a black car with sunroof plus after market fin on the lot (for $1k :traurig2: ) and a black one with no sun roof (I decided to hold off on the performance shocks - if I ever get tired of the car, I figure a shock replacement will buy me another year of happiness). The wife wanted the sun roof, so . . .

Car had 40 miles at pickup, after being driven over from another dealer. They completely destroyed the finish when they prepped it, but I took care of that last weekend. It's still very new, but I get a big grin on my face every time I think about it. It's amazingly fast and having all of that torque on call at any time - well, I always feel like there is something wrong with the station wagon when I get back into it. The steering feel and turn in are both great, the variable assist seems to work well - and although I am mildly embarrased to admit it, I like the extra luxury. The seats are well done, the suede inserts do a decent job of holding you in place, the dash is subtley angled towards the driver (you know, like BMW used to do). It does come with a ton of luxury options that I have no use for (auto on headlights, for example) and doesn't have the one I miss the most from the 330 (rain sensing winshield wipers - they save lives, you know), but as a total package, I am very, very happy. I think the end result was a done deal when during one of the many test drives, the salesman told me to stop babying the car and punch it from around 75 on the highway. I looked down a few seconds later and saw 120 on the speedometer. Efforlessly. All that torque and the small block v8 burble - I am in love. As an added bonus, four doors and enough size to make the wife relax about crash worthiness (big problem with the MINI after a couple died in one out here a month or two ago - granted they hit a truck head on while traveling over 100 mph, but such feelings aren't always rational).

Enough babling. I haven't edited any of the pictures down to a reasonable size yet except this one:

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 01:45 PM   #2
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3

That's awesome. If I could afford it, I'd be driving one of those.
zach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 01:51 PM   #3
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcasavant

If I could afford one and lived in the south, and could only have one car, I'd drive one of those.

Congrats!
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 02:00 PM   #4
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr129
Quote:

If I could afford one and lived in the south, and could only have one car, I'd drive one of those.

Congrats!
Why is that any worse than a 330?
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 02:02 PM   #5
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr129
Quote:

Congrats!
Why is that any worse than a 330?
It's not. It's a lot more expensive. And at the time I bought it, and now, it was and is effectively my only car.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 02:05 PM   #6
clyde
Chief title editor

Re: The new ride - and what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg
Hopefully this one will last longer than two years.
Dibs!!!!

Seriously...if you're ready to give up on it after a year or two, please let me know first. aranoid:

But I really, really hope that you enjoy it and want to keep it longer than that. :luftballon:

Congrats and enjoy.
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 02:07 PM   #7
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
Cool-

You'll have to keep everyone posted with your ongoing 'test drive'.....
Have fun keeping it clean-

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 02:08 PM   #8
Jason C
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: Invalid Carriage
That's one hell of a ride. Very bad-ass in black, I like it! Now let's see some more pics.

Jason C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 02:26 PM   #9
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Y E S!!!!!!!

that is fantastic. i'm thrilled for you, man.

isn't it worth it, just to hear the v8 grouse at you on cold starts and then shriek like a banshee when you nail it?

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 02:29 PM   #10
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
wait a minute.

what's wrong with serial car buying, anyway?

cheaper than prozac, is it not?

you cannot fully quantify how much automotive happiness is for a car guy (gal).

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote