carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-27-2020, 07:51 AM   #11
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Wife and I test drove the previous Q3 a year or two ago... I thought it was awful. I liked the Q5 (and my buddy had an SQ5 which was ridiculous) but the Q3 felt terrible handling-wise and felt too "cheap" for its marque to me. I hope they improved it, I couldn't see how anyone would buy the old Q3 over an X1 or X3.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:11 AM   #12
JST

Also can I just point out in this thread how surprised AF was at the idea that I might spend $800 on a kids bike.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:45 AM   #13
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
Wife and I test drove the previous Q3 a year or two ago... I thought it was awful. I liked the Q5 (and my buddy had an SQ5 which was ridiculous) but the Q3 felt terrible handling-wise and felt too "cheap" for its marque to me. I hope they improved it, I couldn't see how anyone would buy the old Q3 over an X1 or X3.
Interesting. Thank you for the perspective. I'm not super motivated to test drive a bunch of cars during a pandemic. I would like the convenience of a dealer close by and I keep trying to like Audis. But in truth, I am still probably too much of a BMW loyalist. I just feel at home in them, even if they are speced improperly.

I found an X1 on the lot here that is speced almost exactly as I would, except it's missing the Harmon Kardon stereo. I don't think that would bother me in the short run, but I'm sure it would in the long run. The other truth is I am spoiled and want to specify exactly the car I want...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Also can I just point out in this thread how surprised AF was at the idea that I might spend $800 on a kids bike.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:06 AM   #14
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Interesting. Thank you for the perspective. I'm not super motivated to test drive a bunch of cars during a pandemic. I would like the convenience of a dealer close by and I keep trying to like Audis. But in truth, I am still probably too much of a BMW loyalist. I just feel at home in them, even if they are speced improperly.

I found an X1 on the lot here that is speced almost exactly as I would, except it's missing the Harmon Kardon stereo. I don't think that would bother me in the short run, but I'm sure it would in the long run. The other truth is I am spoiled and want to specify exactly the car I want...

Why not this? More than you want to spend?

https://www.audiatlanta.com/new/Audi...cb5bc0bcfe.htm
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:15 AM   #15
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:

It's definitely on the list. And, yes, more than I want to spend. I go back and forth between just get a manual Crosstrek (that I can give to my son for college in four years), or get a proper car that I can live with for the duration.

Then a used BMW wagon moves high on the list, because I'd like someone else to take the $10k depreciation. Possibly (likely) the new A4 Allroads on lots are soft on MSRP, and I should drive one again (I have not driven one in about 8 or 9 years).

And, yet, after having an X5 for so long, the X platform feels like more of a complement to my 2. I really want a well speced X3, but the way I build it inches towards $65k MSRP...And that's when I start thinking I could live with an X1.

So, I dither. And hope the 2018 BMW wagons start to come off lease in real numbers...then it's about finding the needle in the haystack of desirable options. There's a decent low-option 2017 wagon locally, but it doesn't have seat heaters. That seems a little punishing at this stage of life. (Yes, I'm spoiled.)
Old 05-27-2020, 09:15 AM   #16
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:

BTW, this dealer is about 2 miles from my house...
Old 05-27-2020, 06:13 PM   #17
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
I thought it was his first bicycle
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:40 PM   #18
Alan
Carmudgeon

Here we go again ... order placed for the M340 today, now instead of black/black it is black/oyster , the current 340ix we have has hit 40k miles and is feeling worn and at this point we are 4 months over the lease.

Let's see if BMW builds our car this time ... the lease price is now $70 more a month then our original order and back then they were giving 2 months free ... that is gone too

It is a shitty time to order a new car !!

BTW went car shopping with my Sister in law, she wanted the Hyundai Pallisades or Kia Telluride ... both dealers said they have very few cars and their prices were high ... Kia wants $2k over MSRP for their truck ...
Old 09-16-2020, 06:06 PM   #19
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Yup, major supply chain disruptions all around, though I have to note that this annoyance is the very definition of first world problems...

Careful with the Hyundai - people say it smells bad. https://jalopnik.com/the-hyundai-pal...ers-1844881275
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:36 PM   #20
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post
I have to note that this annoyance is the very definition of first world problems...
Yeah .... you’re absolutely right ... damn we’re spoiled !!