carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 08-06-2018, 01:25 PM   #131
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Was going to create a new thread but might as well bump this since same topic

My wife suggested we sell the turbo and get a GTI. She also suggested jetta wagon and subaru crosstek in which I ignored

She like tartan stick 4 door which works with me

like this white one but basically the price of new
https://www.cookvw.com/vehicle-detai...ca-id-25159805

better price but almost 4 years old
https://www.cookvw.com/vehicle-detai...ca-id-25403521

I currently work from home so the plan would be the 4-runner would stay at home with me and she would usually drive the GTI to her work(60 miles round trip commute). This fall I am going to have to carpool my son and his friends once a week to his middle school.

any other car suggestions are welcome. Something sporty with decent mileage, basically anything opposite of the 4-runner.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:38 PM   #132
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Besides the obvious Focus ST and Mini Clubman S...

I'd at least drive a 135. Even though they're at least 5 yrs old, mine has been very reliable and incredibly enjoyable.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:25 PM   #133
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I've got five different friends with the current generation Golf GTI. They are awesome little cars for commuting. All are manuals except for the one friend with a flappy paddle. A few observations:

1) They all rattle. The one I'm in the most often has a nasty rattle from the rear seat belt spools. It's kind of inherent in the design. No real way to tighten it up. The other one has an exhaust (aftermarket) that is on the loud side so it's harder to hear the rattle

2) The two that are over 60,000 miles have had various electronic maldies. Window switches are the big one, but also intermittent Bluetooth connectivity. One of them is now having intermittent misfires. He had a shop replace the intake manifold (!) because of some secondary throttle butterflies (I'm guessing it's an emissions thing) that failed, which didn't solve the problem. Same guy is having some odd suspension noises with his that the dealer can't seem to figure out.

Other than those things, no real issues with them.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:59 PM   #134
JST

I've only got about 10K miles on my Mk VII but haven't had any trouble with it (knock wood). Previous gen was reliable, too.

Other possibilities? Fiesta ST? Or, in the other direction, A4?

The Clubman did not excite me when I drove it. Not enough poke, and not enough "mini" left in that platform.

Model 3? (obligatory)

You can get pretty killer deals on fixed TDIs, I think, or at least you could. Those would have stellar mileage.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:11 PM   #135
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

thanks for the feeback. VW reliability sounds the same as before Figured I would get a CPO but the warranty is not long.

My wife prefers hatchback and wagons so a4 is out(also more money then I want to speed).

I actually was thinking model 3 I know the 35K model is vaporware so havent priced out what they actually cost yet.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:18 PM   #136
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
thanks for the feeback. VW reliability sounds the same as before Figured I would get a CPO but the warranty is not long.

My wife prefers hatchback and wagons so a4 is out(also more money then I want to speed).

I actually was thinking model 3 I know the 35K model is vaporware so havent priced out what they actually cost yet.
52.5 if you don't want autopilot but do want nice paint and 19" wheels. That's before the tax credit, so really $45K.

I'd think seriously about it because the tax credit will start dwindling at the end of the year; ordering now should get you a car in time to take advantage of the full $7500.

One bummer though--the Model 3 isn't a hatchback.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:36 PM   #137
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
New VW's have 6/72 warranty, though not sure if that applies to the GTI. Our 2015 is at 3 years/22k miles, zero issues, no rattles. Not a lot of miles, but not the best of roads.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:14 AM   #138
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
New VW's have 6/72 warranty, though not sure if that applies to the GTI. Our 2015 is at 3 years/22k miles, zero issues, no rattles. Not a lot of miles, but not the best of roads.
Thanks for pointing that out. 6 years of having them fix rattles and electrical issues is worth something. Gti is covered since only thing that is not is e-golf.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:29 AM   #139
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
For what it's worth, Ken's experience with trying to get the seatbelt rattle fixed under warranty was, uh, not good. They took apart the rear seat and trim and said something along the lines of "they all do that."

They probably don't "all do that" but at the very least, make sure that the one you buy doesn't rattle.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:49 PM   #140
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
For what it's worth, Ken's experience with trying to get the seatbelt rattle fixed under warranty was, uh, not good. They took apart the rear seat and trim and said something along the lines of "they all do that."

They probably don't "all do that" but at the very least, make sure that the one you buy doesn't rattle.

I love GTIs. Sorry missed this thread.

How many miles on the Turbo? I’m asking for me. But also for people at work who love my car.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote