carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #21
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Kevin

Best of all worlds

AWD ragtop porsche 911 4S 6 speed

It has been in inventory for a few months, so I would bet they would entertain offers

2008 911 4S
Old 11-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #22
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
awd + convertible, seem like a contradiction to me Yeah you can driver with the top up but still
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #23
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
awd + convertible, seem like a contradiction to me Yeah you can driver with the top up but still
+1. Drove a 4S, a cab 4S back to back with a 2 and 2S coupe on track. Both the awd and the cab are definite minuses in my book. Each more so than the S is a plus.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:06 PM   #24
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
I don't know, but I have always liked an AWD platform in wet weather, and it does seem to rain a little bit here in the Seattle area.

And on those days when there is sun, it is nice to drop the top
Old 11-07-2011, 11:09 PM   #25
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post

You classify the 911 as a GT car?
I don't, Porsche does; what do you think the GT stands for in its model classifications - GT2, GT3 etc.?

Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:02 PM   #26
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
I don't know, but I have always liked an AWD platform in wet weather, and it does seem to rain a little bit here in the Seattle area.

And on those days when there is sun, it is nice to drop the top
And there is a good chance in Seattle that even if the sun is out the roads might still be wet.

Anyways, wow, big changes, Kevin. Should be fun checking out all the cars. The Audi and Porsche you test drove seem to indicate a direction your looking at but is that the direction you want to go or are you open to other suggestions? Anything in particular you are looking for in the next car?

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #27
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
I don't, Porsche does; what do you think the GT stands for in its model classifications - GT2, GT3 etc.?

Zing.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:11 PM   #28
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
+1. Drove a 4S, a cab 4S back to back with a 2 and 2S coupe on track. Both the awd and the cab are definite minuses in my book. Each more so than the S is a plus.
I think they are playing around with you ... everyone knows that fixed tops offer less compromise than convertibles ...
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:02 PM   #29
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
Thanks for the info guys....

Yep - Right now, just fishing... But with a purpose. I can't pull the trigger on anything till probably early next year so... Lots of time to take test drives and get opinions on this or that.

One thing that has crossed my mind the last few days....
I'm thinking of keeping the red E38 and let the grey one go (ie - keep the '95 and let the '01 go) -
Why you ask?
Well... I will probably need to be traveling more and more for work. That means leaving a car at the airport. Plus I will also be going to CA and leaving the car in a rather unfriendly envoronment there too (parking under trees and such for 2 or so weeks at a time). So - Keep the early E38 (warts and all - and keep it running) to be disposable as such - and get the fun (read ' expensive') car to have for when the situation suits that end of things.
I have to admit - the seats in the red car are the BEST I have ever had. I have a bad back and these seats, after a 15 hour day behind the wheel, leave my back in really decent shape - much better shape than the seats in ANY other car I have ever driven.
That - plus this car is probably about as much depreciated as it ever will be. I figure I could part it out for more than I'd get for trade in or a sale. I know I'd be under water if something big were to break - but that is the chance I take I guess.

I'd still get the car I would otherwise - but keep the red one for the situations that suit not wanting to use the good car.

Just thinking out loud here - Time to think and take test drives!

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:57 AM   #30
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I'd think it'd be a simple decision to sell one of the pair. They are almost the same after all, just keep the better one.

How many miles do you have on your '95 and '01? If the '01 updates are not that significant to you (there is the head airbag not sure what else), that's perhaps the one to sell.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote