carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-09-2004, 05:37 PM   #1
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
my car is leaking coolant

My girlfriend is out getting some more to fill it up. I fear that there is a hole in the radiator. I guess I should bring it to the shop.

zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 05:58 PM   #2
The HACK
Crotchety

Re: my car is leaking coolant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcasavant
My girlfriend is out getting some more to fill it up. I fear that there is a hole in the radiator. I guess I should bring it to the shop.

How bad is it? If you see a puddle beneath the car then I'd worry about it.

If you had to top off once every 6 month then it's no big deal. In fact, it's not out of the ordinary for the liquid to expand and contract enough to require a fill up during winter.

• SEMA 2004 • Leadership Matrix has been passed, Ricemus Prime Lives!!!
The HACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 06:07 PM   #3
JST

Re: my car is leaking coolant

Quote:

Check the radiator neck, where the upper coolant hose comes into the radiator (on the right side of the radiator if you are standing in front of the car). As you may know, E36 M3s are notorious for having this plastic flange fail, which can lead to rapid coolant loss. In other cases, cracks in that area can lead to slower leaks.

If that's where the leak is coming from, I would not drive the car. If it's cracked, that part can fail at any time, leading the car to disgorge its entire coolant load and leaving you stuck by the side of the road.

OTOH, if the car is just down on coolant and there is no visible leak, Hack is correct; I've had to add coolant to lots of cars.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 06:14 PM   #4
zach
swinging for the fences

Yes, a puddle, but I'm not 100% sure it's mine. The coolant is definitely low, and I've been getting the OBC warnings. My girlfriend is out now getting more coolant for the car. I'm going to try to examine where it might be leaking, but it's 0F out. I may just have it towed tomorrow.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:21 PM   #5
JST

Quote:
Yes, a puddle, but I'm not 100% sure it's mine. The coolant is definitely low, and I've been getting the OBC warnings. My girlfriend is out now getting more coolant for the car. I'm going to try to examine where it might be leaking, but it's 0F out. I may just have it towed tomorrow.
If it's leaking that badly, a flashlight should reveal whether the neck is the source of the leak fairly quickly. Look for liquid or white streaks on the plastic surface of the radiator beneath the hose.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 06:46 PM   #6
zach
swinging for the fences

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
Quote:
If it's leaking that badly, a flashlight should reveal whether the neck is the source of the leak fairly quickly. Look for liquid or white streaks on the plastic surface of the radiator beneath the hose.
I'll look when she comes over in a few minutes. She wasn't able to locate any coolant.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:10 PM   #7
zach
swinging for the fences

Hmm.

I just looked under the hood and under the car with a flashlight. There are no obvious leaks near the radiator. Perhaps Hack is right and it just needs a refill. I'm going to check under the car after dinner and see if there's a puddle.

I'll check the coolant level then too.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:29 PM   #8
zach
swinging for the fences

Well, I got some coolant. There was no puddle after dinner. I will wait until the car cools down and then fill to the fill line. Does it matter if I just add pedestrian coolant to the system -- do I need BMW coolant?
Old 01-09-2004, 08:42 PM   #9
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
When the car starts to leak coolant, that is it's way of telling you that it is starting to die a miserable death, and that you should replace it with something newer and far more exciting with great urgency...

Old 01-09-2004, 08:43 PM   #10
zach
swinging for the fences

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL
When the car starts to leak coolant, that is it's way of telling you that it is starting to die a miserable death, and that you should replace it with something newer and far more exciting with great urgency...

What's more exciting than an e36 M3?