carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 05-15-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
SCA
Jaded

E90 330

After 4.5 years of ownership I am still impressed. I went for a 60+ mile drive today and considering that I drive the 4R on a daily basis it certainly makes me appreciate the 330 every time I get behind the wheel. Sure, a 335 would be even better, but who wants to deal with the HPFP issues? Not me...
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
It is a very good car. It gets much better if you go from b-stone 050's to mich ps2 zp's (still runflat). It gets even better, I presume, if you go to aftermarket wheels and real tires.

Are you still selling it?
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
It is a very good car. It gets much better if you go from b-stone 050's to mich ps2 zp's (still runflat). It gets even better, I presume, if you go to aftermarket wheels and real tires.

Are you still selling it?
My brother put PS2 RFT on his '06 330. The sidewall is defiantly thicker and the ride quality is improved, but they appear to increase the ride height (appearance). Anyways... I am a long way from needing new tires.

Not at the moment. Waffling...

Last edited by SCA; 05-15-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
I'd keep it. I have way more faith in the NA than I do the biturbos. I think the E90 330 is the one to keep for the long haul. If I were in the market for an e90, I'm positive I'd buy the 328 over the 335. Which means I'd delighted with the extra umph of the 330i. We plan to keep the 530xiT and the X 3.0si we have. The 5 and the 3 are roughly the same weight, and the 5 moves as fast as you need. The X is a little sluggish, but in most cases it's just fine. And entirely reliable. Knock wood.

How's the hunt for the Topaz Z going?

I have to say, TD's difficulties notwithstanding, I'm loving the M3C. Even though I have way more civilized options to drive around town, I always find myself drawn to the M. I know it will always make me feel engaged as a driver. The X is supremely comfortable and even a little fun to drive, and if I'm sure that both ends of the commute will have bad weather, I'll drive it. But if even half the day is predicted to be nice, I'll drive the M--even with the top up.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I'd keep it. I have way more faith in the NA than I do the biturbos. I think the E90 330 is the one to keep for the long haul. If I were in the market for an e90, I'm positive I'd buy the 328 over the 335. Which means I'd delighted with the extra umph of the 330i. We plan to keep the 530xiT and the X 3.0si we have. The 5 and the 3 are roughly the same weight, and the 5 moves as fast as you need. The X is a little sluggish, but in most cases it's just fine. And entirely reliable. Knock wood.

How's the hunt for the Topaz Z going?

I have to say, TD's difficulties notwithstanding, I'm loving the M3C. Even though I have way more civilized options to drive around town, I always find myself drawn to the M. I know it will always make me feel engaged as a driver. The X is supremely comfortable and even a little fun to drive, and if I'm sure that both ends of the commute will have bad weather, I'll drive it. But if even half the day is predicted to be nice, I'll drive the M--even with the top up.
The search for a Topaz 3.0 Z has gone cold. The Beemer (R1100S) needs to go first.

I had 2.5 years of quality driving time in a '02 M3C (Carbon/Gray). I loved the car, but I hated the SMG. Ruins the car!! I believe I have mentioned this previously, but the former GF did not know how to drive a manual trans.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:37 PM   #6
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
The search for a Topaz 3.0 Z has gone cold. The Beemer (R1100S) needs to go first.

I had 2.5 years of quality driving time in a '02 M3C (Carbon/Gray). I loved the car, but I hated the SMG. Ruins the car!! I believe I have mentioned this previously, but the former GF did not know how to drive a manual trans.

I can imagine. I'm really glad I opted for the manual. I feel like I could keep the M forever.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #7
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
I can imagine. I'm really glad I opted for the manual. I feel like I could keep the M forever.

It is a beautiful car! The last NA 6 M, even more of a reason to hold onto it!
Old 05-24-2010, 05:00 PM   #8
SCA
Jaded

Apparently it is time for a new battery. 4-4.5 years appears to be the norm per E90Post.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:45 PM   #9
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
I'm taking mine (ZHP vert) on a long trip next month, I'm going to do the whole bimmerfest "climb to the clouds" event at Mt Washington in New Hampshire - should be loads of fun.

It'll be the longest extended drive in the four years I've owned the car.

Still lovin' it, even though it's not an M (I sometimes wish it were), it's just about the perfect BMW, imo.

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:17 AM   #10
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
I'm taking mine (ZHP vert) on a long trip next month, I'm going to do the whole bimmerfest "climb to the clouds" event at Mt Washington in New Hampshire - should be loads of fun.
I just got a PM yesterday asking me if I was interested in going... the idea sounds cool, but I'm not sure if I want to meet some of those personalities in person and I also don't know if I'll have the time to go.