carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-10-2018, 06:41 PM   #101
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
So when you drive in snow, you put it in 4WD, and if you hit patches of road that are dry you just ignore the binding and tire hop when you go around corners?
It’s onky noticeable in super tight quarters like a parking garage.

Otherwise it’s not that noticeable to me.

Obviously the system on the JGC is the modern apogee of Jeep 4wd.

But whatever is in the JK and JK is still oddly effective even short of Rubicon trim.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:54 PM   #102
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Huh, good to know.

When I "locked" the JGC center-diff, I could barely take my first turn in an open parking lot.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:05 PM   #103
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Would she go for an X3?
I just got her another A4 ... same exact car different color ... I’ll post a couple of pics when we pick it up. It’s been a crazy week ... I got the dreaded call from her on her way to school a few days ago ... a guy blew through a red light (not a yellow light turning red, literally went through a red light) my daughter was 1/2 way though the intersection(her light was green) and saw he wasn’t stopping and floored it ... lucky she did, the guy hit part of the rear drivers side door and got most of the rear of the car.

Scary as shit ... she and one of her friends have some neck, chest and back pains but we are hoping everything is ok (fingers crossed) kudos to Audi, it got hit by a big pick up truck and the interior of the car had no visible damage.

Argh ... now you see why crash ratings are so important ...
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:09 PM   #104
clyde
Chief title editor

Hope no lingering injuries.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:38 PM   #105
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
I just got her another A4 ... same exact car different color ... I’ll post a couple of pics when we pick it up. It’s been a crazy week ... I got the dreaded call from her on her way to school a few days ago ... a guy blew through a red light (not a yellow light turning red, literally went through a red light) my daughter was 1/2 way though the intersection(her light was green) and saw he wasn’t stopping and floored it ... lucky she did, the guy hit part of the rear drivers side door and got most of the rear of the car.

Scary as shit ... she and one of her friends have some neck, chest and back pains but we are hoping everything is ok (fingers crossed) kudos to Audi, it got hit by a big pick up truck and the interior of the car had no visible damage.

Argh ... now you see why crash ratings are so important ...
Ugh, glad to hear that she seems to be OK. Cars are always replaceable.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:34 PM   #106
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Damn. Glad she's OK.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:34 PM   #107
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Awful. I had a near miss like that with a pickup truck while in college (Hudson Valley of NY). In a tiny Mazda circa 1980. Lucky to be alive.

So glad your daughter escaped serious injury.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:51 AM   #108
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Wasn't sure where to put this observation, but figured this was as good a place as any.

I have a base Cayenne as a loaner today. The 911 has a minor leak at the water pump (wide ranging issue), so I dropped it off at the local dealer for a warranty fix of that, a broken plastic latch and the PA State Inspection.

It only has a big sunroof and 14 way seats as options and lists at ~$75k. For the money, I am not impressed. The steering is quite light and darty (similar to recent BMWs), the transmission downshifts more roughly when slowing down than I'd expect and trunk, while pretty large) has the sloping rear glass that doesn't give a lot of room for my dog. It also floats / pogo sticks a bit more than I prefer. The X5 rides more roughly but is also more controlled. From my month + of 911 experience, I would say it doesn't have a lot of Porsche DNA.

If I had to choose between this or the X3 b58 loaner I had last year, I'd take the X3 by a large margin.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 12:47 PM   #109
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Wasn't sure where to put this observation, but figured this was as good a place as any.

I have a base Cayenne as a loaner today. The 911 has a minor leak at the water pump (wide ranging issue), so I dropped it off at the local dealer for a warranty fix of that, a broken plastic latch and the PA State Inspection.

It only has a big sunroof and 14 way seats as options and lists at ~$75k. For the money, I am not impressed. The steering is quite light and darty (similar to recent BMWs), the transmission downshifts more roughly when slowing down than I'd expect and trunk, while pretty large) has the sloping rear glass that doesn't give a lot of room for my dog. It also floats / pogo sticks a bit more than I prefer. The X5 rides more roughly but is also more controlled. From my month + of 911 experience, I would say it doesn't have a lot of Porsche DNA.

If I had to choose between this or the X3 b58 loaner I had last year, I'd take the X3 by a large margin.
I got a Cayenne loaner in late 2015 when I was selling the 997TT and brought it in for the universal joint boot repair and I was not impressed at all. Pretty inside, but felt and sounded awful and moved slowly with the base engine.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 02:38 PM   #110
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post

Funny you mention the transmission behavior. The Cayenne uses the prolific ZF 8 speed. I've now had that transmission in 3 different vehicles across 2 manufacturers. They all exhibited jerky downshits when slowing down to a stop. Funny that reviewers universally praise this transmission and no one mentions these annoying "drivability" type issues.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote