carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 08-30-2017, 11:40 AM   #171
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
But the thing is that so many other car makers are using the *same* transmissions without issue.
that's my experience too, the transmission itself is pretty good, the BMW software is shit. My point with the older cars was BMW used to do a decent job with the software.

If we replace our X5, it won't be with a different x5 and probably not with another BMW.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:24 PM   #172
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
none (at least for the e70)... actually, the back seat is wider and roomier for 3 ppl and it costs less to maintain (by A-LOT so far).

We went from our '09 e61 to our '13 x5 n55 in January. For the last 6 months REALLY missed the wagon (well everything except the maintenance). The x5 rides much harsher, doesn't accelerate as quickly, is much louder (both road and engine noise) and doesn't eat highway miles comfortably at 85-90mph like the wagon did so well.

Ours has a horrible habit of not immediately locking up in D when pulling away. You give it a light amount of gas and it doesn't move, so you give it more and it jerks away. I've tried resetting adaptation, but it didn't fix the problem. In sport mode, it locks up more quickly and starts in first gear, but won't use gears 7 or 8 when cruising and holds gears way too long after you've accelerated. We also have a lot of rattles coming from (I think) the tailgate louvers in the trunk.

The x5 has much better options than our e61 did. IT's metallic black over tan with:
Sport seats w/ lumbar, heated steering wheel, rear seat heaters and shades, nav/tech package, heads up display, soft close doors, confort access, side view cameras, etc.
Thanks for the feedback. I've been curious. Obviously never owned an X5.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:17 PM   #173
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I've been curious. Obviously never owned an X5.
I will say all weekend we had 2 adults in the back seat and they were very comfortable back there. I put four 4*4 sheets of plywood and a bunch of home depot stuff in the back (not with the two adults in the back) and it swallowed everything up fine. The e61 would have swallowed it up just as well, but I think the back seats are better in the x5.

Even with the n55 it isn't slow, its just not e61 quick in that smooth, effortless locomotive kind of way.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote