Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
i really like the styling on the G6.

clean and taut.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 10:29 PM   #12
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

i've always been a Pontiac fan. The G6 coupe looks really good to me, and the GTP would be a great platform for a fun-enough daily driver.

Dunno about you guys, but I dig Pontiac's new styling theme. Just about all of their new cars look good to me.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 11:44 PM   #13
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
You are right about the weak connection between the financial turmoil at the big two and their products, but I think you are being too easy on them in terms of product innovation.
Not being hard on them here, nor being easy on them. Only pointing out that their financial problems are significant because of past practices (pension promises) and unfavorable current realities (worker healthcare and related stuff) that have nothing to do with their products as well as the fact that they still have a sizable customer base... A customer base, which as it shrinks becomes more difficult to shrink further...until time takes its toll and the ricer generation grows up and starts buying new cars.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 11:58 PM   #14
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea
For instance, the new Mustangs certainly seems to be a big improvement over the past model generation. Power is impressive in the V8 version for a car at that price point. Styling, while retro, is probably one of the better renditions out of Ford lately. But it's just not a car that grabs my interest. I don't get the retention of the solid rear axle. The car seems quite heavy. And I'm not convinced it will hold up well over time. The size of the car seems fairly large, too. For the same cost I'd rather go for a new MX-5, RX-8, or (gasp) even the Solstice.
Interesting that you compare the Mustang to three small cars (the RX-8 being a partial exception) that are mostly devoid of torque, two are two seaters and all have very limited cargo capacity.

As JST said, I wouldn't be at all concerned about reliability with the Mustangs, new model and all. Mechanically, there's not much new or different...it's dropped into a new chassis with other bits. The drivetrain has been bulletproof for a long time and there's nothing to suggest any issues.

And for the 18 millionth time, the perception that the live axle makes it unworthy of anything in any way is plain wrong, simple minded thinking.

Quote:
There are things such as the CTS-V or the Corvette that really do stand out, but why does that have to be the exception?
What would people's opinions be of GM if the CTS was decontented and badge engineered into an Impala?

When convenient, we all also tend to forget how well Ford and GM make trucks. They make them pretty darn well and it's only been the past few years that the Japanese manfucaturers have started getting close in quality, but they still have a long way to go in matching the Big 2 on price for those products...products that the Big 2 are still making a bundle on with each sale.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 07:23 PM   #15
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Perhaps it is just perception but when I look at slightly older mustangs they do not seem to age well compared to older Miatas, for instance (the other examples cites are too new for much comparison in this regard). The drivetrains may be durable but from what I've seen of the rest of the car the Mustangs start looking really worn after a while. On the other hand, even the older Miata seem to be in good shape. This is just based on personal observation of cars I just walk past, nothing scientific. A lot of factors go into this not least of which is how well the respective owners take care of their cars. Still, I just don't see the Mustangs as holding up too well to usage over time.

Solid axles are awesome. I love them in my Jeep! Very simple, durable, cost effective and currently the most favored axle / suspension configuration for off-road use. They have their place and uses but I wouldn't necessarily want them on my sporty road-car. That being said rear control link setup for the Mustang solid axle is very intriguing. Intersting to see how Ford attached it to the chassis.

The truck comment is right on. Big American pick-up trucks are very well made. I haven't been into large trucks for a while so I haven't taken a close look at the competition from Toyota or Nissan. But the Ford, Chevy, and Dodge offerings certainly seem to be very durable. Just based on past experience alone I'd have no qualms about any of the full-size American trucks wiith a preference for Fords. My Dad still has his 1976 Ford F250 and it's still going strong after 30 years. My aunt's '86 GMC crew cab is 20 years old is still providing a lot of cheap, reliable service. And I think the newer rigs will be even better over time.

Getting back on the topic of the G6. . . found this on the Pontiac website. Click the arrows to the left and right for a 360 deg. spin. And clicking "Exterior", "Body Constructin", "Interior", or "Drivetrain" peels off layers of the car that can be rotated in 360 deg, too. Significantly better than past Pontiacs and the clean lines are nice. Still think the car looks nose heavy. . . something I've never liked.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote