carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Going Faster

Old 03-03-2019, 02:42 PM   #191
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Talk to me about this splitter... How did you determine the size, etc?

The where are you going to drive it? I assume it's not registered?
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:03 PM   #192
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
The splitter is allowed to project six inches forward of the front contour of the bodywork as viewed from above and as wide as the side bodywork, not including the mirrors. It must be level to within +/- three degrees and it must be flat (i.e. it can't be various level heights that are stepped). It cannot go further rearward than the centreline of the front wheels. You're allowed an air dam (the black stuff) but no vertical components like splitter fences.

My plan for driving it was thwarted today as I found a vacuum leak that necessitated me removing the intake manifold. While I had that out I replaced the motor mounts with some stiff pieces I had sitting around for a while. The driver's side motor mount is not accessible with the intake manifold installed.

As far as where I can drive it, my plan was to actually tow it to a large industrial park not far from here, and drive it around to let the ECU self-tune. I don't have to go fast to do this or drive recklessly, so I think I'll be safe as long as it's on a weekend when this place is largely abandoned. If a cop does come hassle me I'll just tell him what's going on and more than likely he'll just tell me to leave. Back when I had the BMW and the ZHP, I put the ZHP's plates on it. Figured if I got pulled over the cop would run the tags and see it was registered to a red BMW.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:56 PM   #193
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Schroedinger’s ECU.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:58 PM   #194
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
You are truly a mad genius. So awesome
Old 03-15-2019, 07:53 AM   #195
John V
No more BMWs

No genius here, just a lot of persistence and an enjoyment of problem solving.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:10 AM   #196
John V
No more BMWs

Wrapped up a few things yesterday. I finished up the alignment and re-scaled the car. I cut the hood and riveted on the hood vent. I washed the car and installed most of the graphics, though I've still got a few yet to go and I don't have any of the official SCCA decals (except the Tire Rack banner). The red numbers are the same color as my old BMW which was intentional

I shouldn't have worried about the cooling system, it bled itself after a few hot/cold cycles and now seems to be working properly. I am using a stock NC radiator right now, I kind of hope it is sufficient but if not, Goodwin racing sells a nice upgraded radiator that is bolt-in for an NC.

I drove it up and down my driveway a bit, accelerating to 40MPH and standing on the brakes to bleed the air from the ABS unit. The Haltech gets better and better as I let it self-tune, but it already runs really well after a little cold-start tweaking. I got into maybe 2psi of boost without really trying and the car feels sprightly. No rubbing or anything but I do think I'm going to have to do a little more fender clearancing work (where the rear bumper attaches to the quarter panel forms a sharp tab that I'm worried about), which will mean finding a way to attach the leading edge of the bumper.

Stuff left to do... I think I am going to work on the rear spring perches a bit. I don't like the way the spring seats on the stock steel spring perches, using a delrin adapter for 2.5" race springs. I may just fab up a plate to weld on there with a ring to center the spring. I've run the fuel tank just about dry, so I'm going to go pick up 10 gallons of E85 today and see how well the ethanol content modification table works all on its own, then continue the low-load tuning with E85. I need to build a bump steer rig, because Brett set up the rear toe arms to be adjustable for bump steer and I haven't even checked that so it's probably way off. And I've got a small exhaust leak, I think at one of the V-band clamps but I'll need to check it out. Clyde was over and recorded one of my laps up and down the driveway.

Tuning trip is set up for March 30th, Peter Florance at PFTuning will work his magic on the car and I'm sure we'll find all sorts of problems, but that's how these things go. In between now and then the only thing I really need to get done is a thorough nut and bolt of the car. Pretty excited!
Old 03-17-2019, 08:22 AM   #197
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Damn dude, this is great.

Peter does engine management sruudd right? Are you tuning the suspension yourself? How'd you pick the initial spring rates?
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:25 AM   #198
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Congrats, great job
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:34 PM   #199
John V
No more BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Damn dude, this is great.

Peter does engine management sruudd right? Are you tuning the suspension yourself? How'd you pick the initial spring rates?
sruudd = stuff?

My target was a roll rate roughly split between the front bar and the front spring. I picked a bar that I wanted to run and picked a spring rate that was approximately equal in roll to the bar set to medium on its range of adjustment. That worked out to a roll rate a little softer than I had for the BMW (which needed to be crazy stiff because of the shit front suspension). I then picked a rear spring that biased the roll couple towards the front at around 60%, then added another 100lbs to the rear wheel rate to account for the rear downforce.

It's a calculated guess. I imagine we will end up testing softer all around and seeing what works. The car is really light but it's front-heavy (53.5% front) so the wing is going to be critical.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:06 PM   #200
kognito
older fart than ZBB

I see the driveway run was without the splitter. I'm guessing loading and unloading from the trailer will also be without the splitter.

Just curious, quick is that operation?