carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-11-2006, 12:11 PM   #11
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Sensible suggestions, I guess I should take a look at the 1.8t gti. The audi is a bit of an overkill. New gti makes no sense as I'll be doing minimal miles. This is really going to be a car that's going to sit around a fair bit.

Agreed on the wrx, I was going to include them in the search for completion but my gf already has an impreza (older, cooler one ) and I feel very little for the wrx interior/exterior. Really dislike the forester. The Leg GT would be an awesome complement to the Cayman, but once again I'd be buying an 05 car to park it. I guess I'll look at the other legacy/outbacks. Are 96-99 to be avoided for the 2.5L issue?

The r32 is a non-starter, happened to drive one last weekend. Felt really bad after the Cayman - even worse than the zhp felt. I advised my friend who owns it to sell at this high price point.

I see that people are thinking of sporty cars, but I really have that covered with the croc. I really think the 1.8gti/bigger subies are the best suggestions so far - though 2.8 audis are quite cheap. Maybe if I buy s4 seats and hack the clutch of the 2.8?

Does anyone here have b5s4 experience?
Seriously eq, I bought my wife an Outback wagon new in 05. It's the "new" body style with the 2.5 liter flat four.

The car continues to impress - we just took it to VT for several days and it was a competent, quiet and comfortable cruiser. The seats held up really nicely (or should I say our backs held up nicely, which for us is a milestone).

We got great gas mileage, had plenty of room for crafts and antiques (60 plus cubic feet) and good ground clearance for those VT dirt back roads.

For a high vehicle, it handles well, too ( relatively speaking, of course).

A clean Outback wagon with under 20k on the clock should be obtainable in the high teens - heck, I bought ours for 22k new out the door.

A better car for NYC roads and your circumstances would be hard to imagine (otherwise, you may as well have kept the ZHP).

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:51 PM   #12
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I really want a b5s4 avant but between turbos and theft, how about a

X5 3.0 manual?

High mileage ones are in the teens. Unlike the b5s4, I don't think the 3.0 has any catastrophe potential. I have done rwd+snows, but this time around I really would like awd. BTW, I have never driven an x5, this whole idea could be shot down in two minutes (just like the a4 3.0).

Flame away..
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:56 PM   #13
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Flame away..
OK, I'll go first.

If you want a "beater" in the 20K+ range, why the heck did you sell the ZHP????

Is it really just a RWD thing?
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:25 PM   #14
equ
Alphanumeric

Not a bad point (and I considered backing out of the sale at various points). I might still regret it strongly.

1. Now that I finally have a dedicated rwd sports car, I would like awd
- I need to drive through snowstorms for the best skiing
- I'm sick of carrying wheels/tires up to my apartment (no elevator)

2. I plan to drive the CayS quite a bit. This leaves 3 to 5000 miles/year for the second car. I can do that in a car with higher mileage, further along its depreciation curve.

Yes, I may be swayed by just the right rwd bmw (be it a classic or a 5er or sth) and go back to doing two sets of wheels, but I'd rather not. I started out with a 10ish budget and seeing what's out there I may increase to the high teens. That's still 10k less than what I sold my zhp for.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:32 PM   #15
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
I got it. Buy my Saabaru.

It has full leather, MT, Xenons, heated seats, 6-CD changer, premium Audio, AWD, cheap to own, better low-end torque than pre-'06 WRX's, looks better than a Subaru, and still has 2.5 years of warranty left. And it is within your budget.

It really is the perfect car for you for the money, even if you don't buy mine.

Last edited by FC; 10-12-2006 at 04:14 PM.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:52 PM   #16
equ
Alphanumeric

That's actually a pretty good idea. Is it quieter/better NVH on the hwy than a regular impreza? I agree that it looks better and the vins start with JF
I'll probably even spring for the turbo one.

I have one issue. They seem to be all 05+, so they haven't depreciated much...
Old 10-12-2006, 04:05 PM   #17
dan
redefined

Quote:
I think it will be an audi.

I would like it to be reliable though.
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:10 PM   #18
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
That's actually a pretty good idea. Is it quieter/better NVH on the hwy than a regular impreza? I agree that it looks better and the vins start with JF
I'll probably even spring for the turbo one.

I have one issue. They seem to be all 05+, so they haven't depreciated much...
Yes. They have added insulation, better carpeting/roof liner, side airbags, and with winter pkg you get heated seats/wipers and exterior mirror defrost - all features you can't get on Subarus. You can also get them with leather, premium sound, xenons, and foglights all part of the premium pkg on the linear. On the Aero (WRX) the options are different, and so it is harder to find an Aero with all the smaller options checked.

As a "beater" I still recommend the Linear (2.5L NA). Better low-end torque, better fuel economy, uses regular instead of premium, absolutely bullet-proof engine/drivetrain reliability, and cheaper insurance by about 20% - and of course, much cheaper to buy. A car like mine ('05) sells for ~$17K (FWIW, it had an MSRP of ~$27K new).

(I have a tow hitch installed and a full set of winter wheels/tires).

Of course, that is your call.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:12 PM   #19
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli View Post
Whatever... My a4 2.8q (now onto its next owner for 2.5 years) has only needed oil changes for 7 years. There is no crazy maintenance on that car. TB every 90k, perhaps clutch and that's it. Some ppl need control arms, I'm not one of those people.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:11 PM   #20
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
I was just commenting earlier today how my friend's Mercedes CSL 500 has been nearly maintenance free (one bad something or another for the AC fan). That doesn't mean Mercedes in general are suddenly reliable. Until my mechanic tells me Audi's aren't in the shop all the time, they won't get a "reliable" rating in my book. I think you are one of the very fortunate equ, but I woudn't count on getting struck by lightning twice in a row.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote