carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority

Old 01-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Tire mounting fees

Looking to get a new set of rubber for the MINI, and just realized that it has been at least 5 years since I've had to shop for tires. For several different reasons, I'm going to go with a set of OEM runflats.

In the past I've purchased tires from Tirerack, but it seems like it's not that great of a deal anymore when I factor in the install charges from one of the local shops that will mount runflats. Going by this menu, I'm looking at an extra $60 per tire.

So while Tirerack seems to beat everyone I see on a per tire basis, all the extra fees plus shipping (roughly $10 per tire) add up quickly. Am I missing something?
Old 01-17-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
Pinecone
Carmudgeon

Have you checked the final price and/or price breakdown from other (local) tire sellers?

You may find it costs as much, but the tires cost more.

BTW my local Tire Rack installer does tires (any series) for $20 per, mounted and balanced, and new volave stem if needed.
1995 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
1990 Red/White Spec Racer
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
ff

$39/tire for mounting and balancing, and a table of increasing rates depending upon the tire aspect ratio?? $2.99/tire for disposal?? $2.99 for valve stems?? $10/tire extra for run-fats??

Guess that I was spoiled when we put new Michelins on the 4Runner at Sam's club. One low rate for everything. No bending people over the countertop, and raping them with a rusty chimney sweeper.

It's a leased car. Get whatever is going to cost you the least amount of money. After all, that's what the dealer does when they take a car in on trade. If a place like Sam's club has an appropriate size and style, why not?
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Have you checked the final price and/or price breakdown from other (local) tire sellers?

You may find it costs as much, but the tires cost more.
That's the thing... a few local places are coming in close or cheaper "all-in" so I will probably go that way

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
$39/tire for mounting and balancing, and a table of increasing rates depending upon the tire aspect ratio?? $2.99/tire for disposal?? $2.99 for valve stems?? $10/tire extra for run-fats??
There are a few places that are less, but they say they don't mount runflats.

I'm pretty sure that these are the "FU for not buying the tires from us" prices. Some of the tire shops will do all of this for much less if you buy the tires from them, some even do it at "no charge" (=rolled into their tire price)

And just my luck... the OEM Conti is on eternal backorder. The alternative is a stupid-expensive Goodyear.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
operknockity
Finn is in puppy heaven

Carmudgeonly Ride: '02 325i
Just got new tires this morning at America's Tire Co (aka Discount Tire). Mounting/balancing and valve stems was $16/tire. I know this cost me more on the last set that I got from Tire Rack a few years back and had drop shipped to a shop out here for mounting/balancing, but I can't find the work order for it right now. I also just checked, and Tire Rack is only $4/tire lower than the price I paid at ATC.

Now to find a good alignment shop.
operknockity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
TD
Founder emeritus

I use a local independent tire shop that is not on Tirerack's list. They charge WAY less to mount than those prices, even for RFTs, and do a great job. They don't seem to mind when I do a drop-ship to them, but we try to only do that when they can't get the tire I've decided I want. Their pricing is very competitive when they can get the tire.

Find a shop near you that fits the same description and become their friend. Recently I got a nail in one of the rear tires on the M3C. They plugged it, remounted it and filled it with nitrogen - all at no charge. And this is for a 255/35-19 tire - not easy to mount.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:44 PM   #7
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

I'm stuck... the Conti is the only runflat all-season listed in my size, all of the others are summer tires. I'm not too keen on putting summer tires on my car in January. Hmm.....
Old 01-17-2011, 03:50 PM   #8
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
I'm stuck... the Conti is the only runflat all-season listed in my size, all of the others are summer tires. I'm not too keen on putting summer tires on my car in January. Hmm.....
Yeah, I ended up going with non-runflat Bridgestone G 019 Grid all-seasons as my winter tires.

I've been happy with them so far, and they've been very good in the snow. Of course, their tread depth is also still very deep. And the price was reasonable.

I just hope I don't get a flat in the Lincoln Tunnel anytime soon.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:32 PM   #9
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
I'm pretty sure that these are the "FU for not buying the tires from us" prices. Some of the tire shops will do all of this for much less if you buy the tires from them, some even do it at "no charge" (=rolled into their tire price)
For the BMW, my tire replacement cycle corresponds to the "bang the dents out of the wheels" cycle, so I drop-ship new tires from Tire Rack to Wheel Collision, drive out with a trunkful of 5 mounted tires, and come back in a week to pick up straightened wheels with new tires mounted. Same price to put the old ones back on as to put new ones on.

For the Atom, it is a bit more exciting as it is a real PITA to get the beads to seat. I normally use a race shop local to me, but sometimes I need to swap tires on the road (I replaced my AO48's in Salinas, CA before running at Laguna Seca this summer). There are usually other Atom owners who will take my old tires (there were at least 1K miles left on my AO48's, but that wasn't enough for the drive home), so I've never had to pay a disposal fee.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:32 PM   #10
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
With the local tire shops offering free lifetime balancing / rotating I find it more than makes up for the price difference with Tirerack + shipping costs + mounting costs. And my local Discount Tires will match Tirerack + shipping costs. So really, I get good warranty coverage and lifetime balancing for no extra cost over going through Tirerack. And they have all the tire brands, types, sizes I've ever asked for.

Given I've needed to rebalance my Jeep tires about every 3-4 months for the last 6 years it's rather nice (tire weights keep getting scraped off on rocks on the trails).

Like TD's advice, try to find a good local shop. Usually worth any minor cost differential.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote