carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority

Old 07-07-2017, 06:25 PM   #21
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
Thanks Guys ... it is a really sad loss ... he was always so good to me, I still can't believe he isn't here ... He also took such great care of my mom. My kids and wife as well as myself are heartbroken

He was also a major car guy with some crazy car stories ... he was into autocrossing when he was younger and we shared a love for cars which is why he left the RX8 to me ... we would talk and I told him if you ever get rid of this car let me know first !!
So sorry, AF. It sounds like he was a great guy.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:25 AM   #22
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
My condolences.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:51 AM   #23
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Sorry to hear On the bright side it sounds like he left a pretty decent apple that didn't fall far from the tree
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:00 PM   #24
Alan
Carmudgeon

I truly appreciate all the kind comments ... thank you !!

Now on with thread today's update: car was flatbedded to the dealer ... gotta love AAA .... it cost me only $20 !!

The car started right up, no check engine light and the power was there but I didn't want to chance it which is why I flatbedded. I'm betting like the others it is the coils and spark plugs.

Also I can't believe I'm going to say his but the yellow is starting to grow on me.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:21 PM   #25
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
Also I can't believe I'm going to say his but the yellow is starting to grow on me.
A short course of antibiotics should clear that right up.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:03 PM   #26
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
A short course of antibiotics should clear that right up.

AF, if the yellow really bugs you, car wraps are getting to be very reasonable and quick. (as long as you don't mind it still being yellow under the hood)
Old 07-08-2017, 09:52 PM   #27
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post

AF, if the yellow really bugs you, car wraps are getting to be very reasonable and quick. (as long as you don't mind it still being yellow under the hood)
That's a good suggestion. Cheap, temporary, you can get creative without ruining the car long term and won't kill resale.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:08 AM   #28
Alan
Carmudgeon

So the dealer checked the car out and said the compression is low in #2. They said they need to replace the coils, spark plugs and wires and they want to do a good carbon cleaning on number 2 (he called it a cylinder but we all know these cars don't have cylinders) and it should hopefully bring the compression back up.

The main issue is whether to spend the dollars and hope that fixes the compression issue ... I don't know how these things work but he did say to get compression you need a spark which the car is now not getting.

He also asked when the car ran well last which is pretty much a month and a half ago when the car was being used on a regular basis.

At this point I think I'll take my chances and spend the dollars to fix it
Old 07-12-2017, 10:31 AM   #29
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
AF,

If the dealer did a correct compression test, he should be able to provide you the compression numbers per chamber, per rotor. Could you please ask them to provide this, and then share it with us? "Low" compression can mean a lot of things. The manual used to specify less than 600kPa (dealer might report this as 6.0) as low. A well-built new engine should be between 7.5 and 8.0 (or more!). Typically well-used rotaries may be 6.5-7.0 on the front rotor and 6.0-6.5 on the rear.

There are two main failure modes on the RENESIS as far as compression goes. One, the engine simply wears out - the apex seal springs get weak or the seals wear, or the housings wear. This will manifest as low compression across all chambers. "Cleaning" the chambers will do nothing.

Two, if the car has been sitting a long time without being driven, one or more seals (typically one) can become stuck. This is pretty rare, and really affected older rotaries more than the RENESIS. If this is the case, in some instances the seal can be un-stuck by putting some oil with high levels of detergents (typically ATF) into the chamber and letting it soak. I think this is pretty unlikely to be the case with yours based on what you've posted.

My advice (you didn't ask for it but it's free, so take that for what it's worth) is to have them do the coils and plugs and not the cleaning. Have them provide the compression numbers. This will inform you of what steps to take next. From what you've described the engine might have low compression, but it sounds like it's fine. These cars can run for many years with low compression in the rear rotor and other than a little loss in power and sometimes some hot hard-starting have no other ill effects.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:48 AM   #30
Alan
Carmudgeon

Thanks for the advice .. .I really appreciate it !!

I had told the dealer to go ahead with what they wanted to do and then just called them after reading your message and they clarified that they wanted to soak the rotors in oil to I guess help something with the seals he had said

They also gave me the compression numbers

Front 5.7 & 5.2

Rear 6.5, 6.4, 6.2

I hope I didn't make a mistake telling them to go ahead with it.