carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-24-2020, 10:55 AM   #51
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
I'm sure I did this in my parents' Thing. And really, the difference between the parking brake on and off was negligible.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 01:25 PM   #52
robg
Carmudgeon

cars for kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I'm sure I did this in my parents' Thing. And really, the difference between the parking brake on and off was negligible.

Must’ve been cool to learn to drive on a Thing. My 5 year old woukd go apesh*t for one of those

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:45 PM   #53
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I came to terms with a guy today on a 181k mile 2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6.

The one slight concern is that there's a bit of oil film on the pan and the front of the engine. Looks like it may be coming out somewhere near the top. Looks like a couple common-ish things it could be that are all pretty cheap and easy to take care of. Could be worse, or multiple leaks, though. But it's also a cheap 181k mile car, so... <shrug> OTOH, there were no oil stains in the driveway or on the street in front of the house. The garage had enough stuff that looked undisturbed that my guess is they haven't parked a car in there in many years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Congrats. Guess you only need it to last a couple years and another ~20k miles, right?
Quote:
That's the goal.
Two year update...

Mileage is up to 205k. I've put about $4k into it in maintenance, repairs, alignments and tires. That's about on track for what I was hoping best case of $2k/year. The alignments and tires were not related to the car, so it could have been cheaper, but, well, I'm sure you understand.

Still drives great (when it doesn't need another alignment). My older daughter was the exclusive driver for a few months, then she split it with my younger daughter for a few months until we got the E46, and it's been my older daughter's since. She's done a lot of round trips from DC to southwestern VA and DC to near Pittsburgh. Through all that, adding about 25k miles.

The "bit of oil film" is more of a concern now. My daughter took the car with her to school in the fall, but moved back in right after xmas. The other day, she told me that it's making some noises at start up and sometimes while idling. her description sounded like a belt. When I looked it, there was I would describe as a slight puddle of oil near the dipstick area. I looked at the driveway under the car and there's a decent sized stain. Its last oil change was early October. Last I checked the oil was after Thanksgiving and it was down about a quart, so I added one. When I checked this time, it was down another quart.

It goes to the night drop at the shop tonight and will see what they say in the morning.

The other current issue, which is a big issue for my daughter, is that around New Year's the clock jumped ahead an hour and cannot be corrected. Apparently, 7th and 8th gen Accords with nav have a Y2K22 problem:

From another forum:
“It hasn’t been in the news much but yesterday the date was written by many computers as 2201010001 (YYMMDDHHMM).” said this 2007 Honda CR-V owner.
“Many older computers that store the date this way cannot handle any number bigger than 2147483647, so as soon as the year began with a 22, it fails and can no longer register the date/time correctly.“

There may be a workaround of disconnecting the battery at 12:40, reconnecting after 15 minutes, entering the satellite and radio codes and hopefully finishing at 1:00 which is also the default unset time they use. Another possible work around could be disconnecting the GPS antenna.

Anyway, I'm a little concerned about the oil leak, but maybe it's not too bad.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 02:25 PM   #54
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Sounds like its worked out...

Reminds me of the '65 Landcruiser I had in high school and college. When I was in college, it started getting a pretty bad oil leak. Driving the ~120 miles from my parents house to school would lose a quart of oil, with about 1/4 of it ending up in the passenger footwell (it would seep between the firewall and floorboard panels...). That engine held 11+ quarts of oil, so losing a quart barely registered below full on the dipstick, so I got in the habit of keeping 2 quarts in the truck and would top it up before a big drive. It took several trips to the mechanics we used to finally find the major source of the leak -- the gasket between the engine and clutch had failed. While he was in replacing that, we went ahead and replaced the clutch -- amazingly the original clutch plate was still in and was <50% worn when replaced (this was at 92-93k miles)...

We'll be in the market about this time next year. Our daughter turns 15 at the end of the month, and she'll be getting her permit sometime in the next few months... With used vehicle prices so high, it might make sense to lease a Leaf or Bolt instead of getting something used...
Old 01-23-2022, 02:53 PM   #55
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Sounds like its worked out...

Reminds me of the '65 Landcruiser I had in high school and college. When I was in college, it started getting a pretty bad oil leak. Driving the ~120 miles from my parents house to school would lose a quart of oil, with about 1/4 of it ending up in the passenger footwell (it would seep between the firewall and floorboard panels...). That engine held 11+ quarts of oil, so losing a quart barely registered below full on the dipstick, so I got in the habit of keeping 2 quarts in the truck and would top it up before a big drive. It took several trips to the mechanics we used to finally find the major source of the leak -- the gasket between the engine and clutch had failed. While he was in replacing that, we went ahead and replaced the clutch -- amazingly the original clutch plate was still in and was <50% worn when replaced (this was at 92-93k miles)...
We grew up driving things that were more straightforward and generally had more easier access to components. OTOH, we did not have the vast quantities of information and walkthroughs available that exist today. We had a factory, Haynes and/or Chilton service manuals (if we were lucky) and maybe someone older and more experienced that could help or guide (if we were super lucky), but mostly just figure it out or take it somewhere.

My 19yo will never work on a car. My 17yo has done some of the work on her car...and googled how to do other things it needs doing, so at least has has a sense.

It kind of pisses me off to take this car to a shop for this, but I know that I won't get it fixed on my own for quite some time...if ever. Plus, I still have a good little bit of work to do on the E46. Sigh.

Quote:
We'll be in the market about this time next year. Our daughter turns 15 at the end of the month, and she'll be getting her permit sometime in the next few months... With used vehicle prices so high, it might make sense to lease a Leaf or Bolt instead of getting something used...
What are they leasing for these days?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 01-23-2022, 03:04 PM   #56
JST

K1 got her permit a few weeks ago. Still working on getting comfortable driving. So far it’s mostly been practicing in the M3, which is…a lot.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 03:21 PM   #57
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
K1 got her permit a few weeks ago. Still working on getting comfortable driving. So far it’s mostly been practicing in the M3, which is…a lot.
YES, INDEED. I still have let my son drive my 2, and he got his permit in August of last year. I MAY let him drive it on the way to his driving school in Spartanburg.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 04:36 PM   #58
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Is K1 working on getting comfortable driving? Or are you working on getting comfortable with K1 driving?

If I had your fleet in that situation, I'm not sure which car I'd want my kid getting their feet wet and basics down. Seems like each is a better choice or worse choice from every perspective I can think of.

FWIW, the E46 was borrowed for a day last week by one a friend of my and the friend's mother to learn how to drive a stick. Apparently, she got a job where knowing how to drive a stick was a requirement.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 01-23-2022, 04:41 PM   #59
JST

She’s definitely still getting comfortable, though she’s picking it up fairly quickly.

Yes, on tradeoffs. The Tesla is the easiest to drive, followed by the Porsche and the BMW. She’s tried all three and wants to learn on the BMW because it’s the hardest.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 04:47 PM   #60
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:

What are they leasing for these days?
Base model leases for $229/mo for 36 months with $2k up front.

I guess it all comes down to how much to spend per year on average…

Last edited by ZBB; 01-23-2022 at 05:02 PM.
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote