carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2019, 07:50 AM   #21
clyde
Chief title editor
 
clyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 24,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by lip277 View Post
I just slide a cassette in the dash and turn up the volume...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
8 track/
__________________
OH NOES!!!!!1 MY CAR HAS T3H UND3R5T33R5555!!!!!!1oneone!!!!11

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 07:58 AM   #22
rumatt
Mugwump
 
rumatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Location: NY
Posts: 17,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
8 track/
I was also disappointed he didn't say 8 track.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:52 AM   #23
ff
.
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 13,511
Car record player? I had no idea.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:17 AM   #24
JST
195
 
JST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 21,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
The built in streaming media on the Tesla system is nice. Surprisingly, my LR has a built in Spotify player but it requires a premium account and I’m not really a Spotify user. Kind of curious to try it out though. Changing sources with the bmw steering wheel should just be a matter of hitting the “mode” button iirc.

Idrive 6 brought a vast improvement in speech recognition - and I used nav all the time in our bmw. Unfortunately I think your car still has the previous gen. So, yeah, text entry with the knob sucks. Does yours have the handwriting recognition? Once you get used to it I found that works pretty well and you can keep your eyes on the road.

I found Selecting stations or songs easy in the bmw since you could quickly scroll through the list either using the steering wheel or idrive controller. I don’t think Tesla lets you use either of the scroll wheels to do that iirc (just to change source), right? Scrolling through lists such as phone numbers, stations or songs is something I did pretty often and I find it so fast and easy with the idrive controller or steering wheel.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, mine has handwriting recognition. The problem is that it's a multi-stage process to get to the point you can use it. Click "Media," scroll to "External source." Now scroll to "search." That brings up screen with half-a-dozen fields (artist, composer, album, title, etc). Scroll to the one you want, click. THAT brings up an alphabetical list. Now scroll to "Keyword search" and click. At that point you can start drawing letters, which works pretty well for the first letter but at least on mine with my iPhone it just hangs on "please wait" if you try and enter more than one letter.


In contrast, the Tesla has a field on the main screen. Tap that, type the song or artist, off you go.

EDIT: In fairness, the Tesla's iphone integration is essentially non-existent, so if you want to listen to a song on your phone you basically have to use the phone to get to it. But then again, you mostly don't need to do that because the car has its own streaming.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:31 AM   #25
nate
Oh, are they?
 
nate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: S4
Location: H-town
Posts: 9,289
CarPlay can be a big pain in the ass at times in my experience but I sure wish my S4 had it.
__________________
"People keep saying I'm crazy as hell, but sooner or later they're going to realize I know what I'm talking about." - Charles Barkley
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:45 AM   #26
Alan
What ev's
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Hmm- trying to think of places where idrive is worse than a touch screen. The only things I can think of are manually entering destinations in the nav (Which I rarely had to do since the voice recognition was excellent in idrive 6) or using Apple carplay (Which my old car didn’t have but even if it did I wouldn’t have bothered with it). For which functionality do you find it less convenient than a touch screen ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are 2 parts of bmw’s system where touch screen is better and you need to be really familiar with it to understand what I will try to describe.

The screen has like 7 (maybe more or less) tiles on the main screen (radio, nav, phone, etc.) when you want to open up the radio station your listening to and when you want the weather you just touch the tile it is displayed on where with the idrive you need to click on the tile and which then opens up the menu.

In the radios case when you click the tile it brings you to the radio menu (presets, etc) in the weather’s case when you click the tile with idrive it opens connect drive(or whatever it’s called).

Then you need to click again to the menu you want ...
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:14 PM   #27
Jeff_DML
Old Fart
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Carmudgeonly Ride: turbo,T4R,GTI
Location: San Diego
Posts: 7,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
91X. Only listen in short bursts because their heavy rotation stuff is very heavy rotation most of the day, but I like hearing the DJ banter and SD local stuff between songs. Even the ads. When I can, I like to hear some of the Resurrection Sunday and Loudspeaker shows.
I listen to 91x too but prefer 94.9 nowadays
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:01 PM   #28
robg
Carmudgeon
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
There are 2 parts of bmw’s system where touch screen is better and you need to be really familiar with it to understand what I will try to describe.

The screen has like 7 (maybe more or less) tiles on the main screen (radio, nav, phone, etc.) when you want to open up the radio station your listening to and when you want the weather you just touch the tile it is displayed on where with the idrive you need to click on the tile and which then opens up the menu.

In the radios case when you click the tile it brings you to the radio menu (presets, etc) in the weather’s case when you click the tile with idrive it opens connect drive(or whatever it’s called).

Then you need to click again to the menu you want ...
Yep- I'm familiar w/ the home screen with the tiles- that's how the system in my x3 was setup. I found that I rarely used it since the buttons around the idrive controller let me quickliy jump between the various sections. For getting to the radio screen, I typically just used the "media" button next to the idrive controller or used the "source" button the steering wheel. I didn't regularly check the weather in my car, but when I did I just used the voice system to say "what's the weather", or just "weather" and it opened it. Im pretty sure I could have also setup one of the preset buttons to go to weather directly.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:11 PM   #29
robg
Carmudgeon
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yes, mine has handwriting recognition. The problem is that it's a multi-stage process to get to the point you can use it. Click "Media," scroll to "External source." Now scroll to "search." That brings up screen with half-a-dozen fields (artist, composer, album, title, etc). Scroll to the one you want, click. THAT brings up an alphabetical list. Now scroll to "Keyword search" and click. At that point you can start drawing letters, which works pretty well for the first letter but at least on mine with my iPhone it just hangs on "please wait" if you try and enter more than one letter.


In contrast, the Tesla has a field on the main screen. Tap that, type the song or artist, off you go.

EDIT: In fairness, the Tesla's iphone integration is essentially non-existent, so if you want to listen to a song on your phone you basically have to use the phone to get to it. But then again, you mostly don't need to do that because the car has its own streaming.
Ah. Yes, doing a keyword search for music with idrive is not fun. I guess I never really did that cause I ended up using Pandora most of the time. When I wanted to find a particular song on my iphone, I actually found it pretty fast to use the idrive wheel to scroll through all the songs and select the one I wanted. That being said, on my F10 (which I think had the same version of idrive as your M3), I vaguely recall being able to use the voice recognition to search for a particular song on my phone. I can't remember the phrasing for it right now (was something like "Play Yellow Submarine from my phone" or something like that). It may have only worked when connected via USB however.

I guess when you have built-in streaming media with keyword search you end up using it a lot. The system's interface and capabilties start to influence the types of things we do with it. Since scrolling through lists was easy with idrive, that's what I did. With tesla, keyword search is easy so that's what you do. With RR, nothing is easy so i rant about carplay...lol
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:01 PM   #30
Alan
What ev's
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Ah. Yes, doing a keyword search for music with idrive is not fun. I guess I never really did that cause I ended up using Pandora most of the time. When I wanted to find a particular song on my iphone, I actually found it pretty fast to use the idrive wheel to scroll through all the songs and select the one I wanted. That being said, on my F10 (which I think had the same version of idrive as your M3), I vaguely recall being able to use the voice recognition to search for a particular song on my phone. I can't remember the phrasing for it right now (was something like "Play Yellow Submarine from my phone" or something like that). It may have only worked when connected via USB however.

I guess when you have built-in streaming media with keyword search you end up using it a lot. The system's interface and capabilties start to influence the types of things we do with it. Since scrolling through lists was easy with idrive, that's what I did. With tesla, keyword search is easy so that's what you do. With RR, nothing is easy so i rant about carplay...lol
His M3 should have the touch screen so it would probably be more like your X3 then the F10.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rant - CarPlay sucks robg Car Talk 5 07-25-2016 02:25 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forums © 2003-2008, 'Mudgeon Enterprises - Site hosting by AYN & Associates, LLC