carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-01-2020, 10:57 AM   #641
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Is the S as necessary on a .2? Don't both base and S have the turbo that would more than satisfy Josh's want for low end torque?
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:46 AM   #642
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Is the S as necessary on a .2? Don't both base and S have the turbo that would more than satisfy Josh's want for low end torque?
First off the base 991.2 is VERY fast ...

I never thought there was a reason to get an S, my 997 was a base and the car was ridiculously fast for the roads.

I only have an S model because when the 991 came out Porsche took 1/2 a year to introduce the manual and I could not get a base allocation so I grabbed an S allocation.

I read they are doing the same thing with the 992’s ... it seems they really limit the base allocations so you have to buy the more expensive S model.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:02 PM   #643
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I can go either Tuesday or Wednesday and I will look the car over, have you contacted anyone from the dealership ?

I can also take some pictures and some video, if you have an iPhone I can FaceTime you if you want ... you can PM me your number.

If you want to know what I think of the 991.2 here is a link to when I test drove one.

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=139753

I will add to my impressions now that I am living with the updated PCM it really is much better then the one in my 991.1 ...it really is a very good system plus the rear camera I find very good. Unfortunately the rear camera wasn’t offered when I got my car.
Thanks Alan. I sent a note through Autotrader to the dealership, but didn't get any response. I don't have a contact there. If you could check it out, I'd be interested in things like tire tread depth, leather condition, any wear on the top, normal things. If they have any maintenance history or carfax record that would be good to hear about as well. I'll send you my #.

It will be interesting if you drive it to see if the lag that you talked about in your linked review was PDK related or if you notice it on a manual as well.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:04 PM   #644
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Quote:
The S isn't a necessity. I have a nationwide search on Autotrader, Cars.com and Cargurus for 2017 - 2019 911 Cabs w/ a manual and am willing to check out anything under $100k. I'm also checking the pre-owned porsche.com site, PCA classifieds, Rennlist, 6-sp online and the PCARMARKET auctions. This blue one is the best I've seen since the BAT Auction, which I still look longingly at often. That car was perfect. Pickings have been really slim.

This one just happens to be good colors, good options and an S at a low side of market price (I think because of the miles). i wouldn't kick an S or a C4 out the door, but I am not limiting my search to those.

In the 991.2 the base and the S are both 3.0 flat sixes with twin turbos. Supposedly the S has very slightly larger turbos, but you can get very close to S power with a tune (if that's your thing).
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3

Last edited by Josh (PA); 02-01-2020 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-01-2020, 03:09 PM   #645
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Thanks Alan. I sent a note through Autotrader to the dealership, but didn't get any response. I don't have a contact there. If you could check it out, I'd be interested in things like tire tread depth, leather condition, any wear on the top, normal things. If they have any maintenance history or carfax record that would be good to hear about as well. I'll send you my #.

It will be interesting if you drive it to see if the lag that you talked about in your linked review was PDK related or if you notice it on a manual as well.

Just pm’ed you, I don’t think the lag will be there being it’s a manual, i’ll test drive it if you want me to, no worries being it might be your next car I will drive it respectfully.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:10 PM   #646
Josh (PA)
Hello.

This one is sold, but what an awesome interior:
I'm still searching. I am regretting losing the BAT auction more and more. I reached out to the dealer that sold that car to see if they would broker a deal with the winning bidder, where that guy can profit a bit, the dealer can earn a fee and I can get the car I most want. We'll see if anyone on their side is interested. I'm also working with a local dealer to keep an eye on the dealer auctions for the car I am looking for.

https://www.selectluxury.com/VDP-201...era-c-2951.htm

'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3

Last edited by Josh (PA); 02-21-2020 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:36 PM   #647
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I love houndstooth cloth, but I'm not sure how well that goes with beige plus the exterior color. A bit of a risky trio if you ask me...
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 02:59 PM   #648
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
This one is sold, but what an awesome interior:
I'm still searching. I am regretting losing the BAT auction more and more. I reached out to the dealer that sold that car to see if they would broker a deal with the winning bidder, where that guy can profit a bit, the dealer can earn a fee and I can get the car I most one. We'll see if anyone on their side is interested. I'm also working with a local dealer to keep an eye on the dealer auctions for the car I am looking for.
I love everything about that interior except the insignias on the seats. And the exterior/interior combo is great, IMHO.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 04:43 PM   #649
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
I love houndstooth cloth, but I'm not sure how well that goes with beige plus the exterior color. A bit of a risky trio if you ask me...
I agree
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 05:08 PM   #650
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I love everything about that interior except the insignias on the seats. And the exterior/interior combo is great, IMHO.
+1

Very interesting color. Similar, but a bit darker than the Ruby Red I had on my Boxster. I also like the houndstooth + leather seats. As for the insignias, if the "911" script was just an outline like the Porsche logo, it would look better...

Last edited by ZBB; 02-21-2020 at 08:28 PM.
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote