carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 02-27-2015, 10:45 AM   #41
robg
Carmudgeon

Congrats Alan! Given all of the cars you've owned, that's a good endorsement. I had some experience in pre-2014 F10s (including my dad's 2013 550) and was underwhelmed. All of the small tweaks they made added up I think. NEver tried one with the active roll bars that your car has. People seem to love that-- and the so-called "Dynamic Handling Package" that includes it is the only way to get a sporty feeling suspension on the xdrive models. Sounds like they've improved the exhaust sound on the 550 too? I know on my dad's car its so quiet that you can't tell its a V8. My only real complaint so far is actually the feel of the sport automatic in stop and go traffic. The 1->2 shift is noticeable, and I get annoyed that it always downshifts to 1st at around 3 mph. Maybe the 550 doesnt do that given all its torque.

What else did you consider this time around out of curiousity?

Can't believe I"m consdering it, but am actually thinking of getting a used F10 M5 for my next car (they are dropping like rocks). I really like the F10 overall. And of course, that opens the possibilty of getting a stick (wife permitting).
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:45 PM   #42
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Congrats Alan! Given all of the cars you've owned, that's a good endorsement. I had some experience in pre-2014 F10s (including my dad's 2013 550) and was underwhelmed. All of the small tweaks they made added up I think. NEver tried one with the active roll bars that your car has. People seem to love that-- and the so-called "Dynamic Handling Package" that includes it is the only way to get a sporty feeling suspension on the xdrive models. Sounds like they've improved the exhaust sound on the 550 too? I know on my dad's car its so quiet that you can't tell its a V8. My only real complaint so far is actually the feel of the sport automatic in stop and go traffic. The 1->2 shift is noticeable, and I get annoyed that it always downshifts to 1st at around 3 mph. Maybe the 550 doesnt do that given all its torque.

Can't believe I"m consdering it, but am actually thinking of getting a used F10 M5 for my next car (they are dropping like rocks). I really like the F10 overall. And of course, that opens the possibilty of getting a stick (wife permitting).

Wow your not kidding. Weren't these over 100K new? Zero used manual's on AutoTrader right now.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...90584013&Log=0
Old 02-27-2015, 01:57 PM   #43
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Wow your not kidding. Weren't these over 100K new? Zero used manual's on AutoTrader right now.

maybe the accident has effected the value some?
Old 02-27-2015, 02:24 PM   #44
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post

Yeah- and I remember reading that some people were snagging leases on leftover new 14s in the 700s (pretty incredible for a car that stickers in the 100s). Apparently BMWNA ran lease support programs for longer than usual on 14 M5s
Old 02-27-2015, 03:13 PM   #45
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
maybe the accident has effected the value some?
Ahhh no wonder. But still there are a lot of them in the 60's which is still a huge hit.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:23 PM   #46
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:

Rob ... I tested a few cars ... the Jag XF which shocked me because I knew I'd hate it but ended up really liking it ... the supercharged engine had instant power as I hit the gas and even more surprising was the handling ... it felt connected ...

I tested the E350 but I had one and felt it was too old (been there done that), I tried the new C class ... I had one for an entire day as loaner ... the car was really nice, great interior, kinda cool exterior (though not as sporty looking as I'd like) but the main problem was the shoulder room which was super tight ... I have broad shoulders so maybe that was the problem but when I gave that loaner back I was relieved to get out of that car ...

I drove the A6 a couple of times and just couldn't get past the conservative styling ... i would have considered the S6 but they only come with summer tires and I really didn't want another car that i had to switch off wheels and tires with twice a year ... this is supposed to be my do everything car when I can't drive the others ...

My final decision was between the new 335i xdrive with the Msport package and the 550 ... I know these cars are in 2 totally different categories but they were the final two and I test drove the 335 a few times before deciding to go with the 550 ... I am sure i'd love the 335 too but at this time in my life I feel i need the larger size of the 5er ...

Now that I have the 550 I have to tell you that I am very happy I went with it ... the engine is louder then the pre 2014 model which I felt was way too quiet and the feel of the car is really great ... I will tell you as an overall car it is one of the best cars I ever had ...

Never drove an M5 but man that is one HOT car !!!
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:08 PM   #47
robg
Carmudgeon

Interesting. Did you try the s4 too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2015, 12:00 PM   #48
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Interesting. Did you try the s4 too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't try the S4 ... I think it's a great car but it comes with summer tires so I'd have to change them right away and I really wanted to stick with a mid size car for now.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote