Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 06-23-2019, 07:44 AM   #11
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
https://cleantechnica.com/2019/06/22...n-up-the-mess/

This is biased the other way, but contains much more useful data than the NYT article.

I think the article without realizing it is endorsing Tesla as the solution, yes (the NYTimes one).

I’ve mentally started mapping out the Lvl2 chargers which are EVGo as well as where the Supercharging stations are along the NYC/BOS route and it looks reasonable for even non Tesla EVs to charge up.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:52 AM   #12
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
https://cleantechnica.com/2019/06/22...n-up-the-mess/

This is biased the other way, but contains much more useful data than the NYT article.

This article is not helping really. The first data plot is misleading (shocked!) because the green parts of the plots are added to take the readers eyes away from how expensive it is to get into the Tesla base range system. The base range of the Tesla’s don’t support the article that the Bolt is outdated. In fact just looking at the blue part of the bar graphs it actually makes the author’s point less credible (a Doctor yes, a scientist no).

The rest of the “data” don’t show a huge time savings either using a “superior” planning algorithm.

What it boils down to is V3 is one answer that basically refuted the NYTimes article and it’s likely coming soon in a broad way. That doesn’t answer the base case that for most EV users that it leaves a lot to be desired right now.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:11 AM   #13
JST

No, lemming, you’re missing the point—as is the NYT.

You absolutely do not need to wait for V3 for the Tesla charging experience to answer the issues raised by the NYT article. I’m telling you that having owned one for six years now, my experience road-tripping is unrecognizable compared to what the NYT describes—and has been since day one, back in 2013.

The article’s suggestion that Tesla vehicles are subject to the same pitfalls as other EVs is simply wrong. Tesla’s decision to invest in infrastructure means that Tesla owners don’t have to worry about these issues nearly as much as other EV owners.

“Tesla Eliminates Most Barriers To EV Ownership, Maintains Huge Competitive Advantage” is a very different story, but a more accurate one.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:35 AM   #14
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
I agree with JST.

The Clean Technica article uses one of the better EV trip planners -- which takes into account the charger speed, vehicle charging capability, and vehicle range in the planning, and shows the results. Its a great comparison, and in my experience the EV trip planners are very accurate (within a couple miles of actual energy usage and within a couple min per charge). They also used very conservative input on those estimates. It still showed that a Model 3 would need ~90 min of charging for such a trip, compared to over 4 hours for the other EVs. On a ~500+ mile drive, you'd likely stop for 60-90 min total time anyway in an ICE just for bio breaks and meals -- so the Tesla is very close.

Also, our experience with the Model S on real road trips shows that the additional time it takes is pretty small. We've driven from our old house in Scottsdale to Disneyland in Anaheim several times over the years -- in both ICEs and the Tesla. Once the superchargers were avail for the full drive, the Tesla took at most 30 min longer than an ICE since it had the small battery and needed 2 charging stops. A Model 3 would only need 1 charging stop and would be equivalent time to an ICE (or you could do 2 quick stops in the 3 and only charge while you do the bio breaks and grab a snack/lunch)...
Old 06-23-2019, 08:44 AM   #15
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
As soon as one of you Teslapologists move into an apartment without home access to a charger and keep singing the Gospel of Musk, I might start believing there could be a little objectivity in your praises.
Since when is it illegal to sell something that doesn't work well in an apartment?

Air compressors and tool boxes. Man those things are never going to go mainstream. We should rename GarageJournal - - > Garageapologists.

And don't even get me started on backyard pools and trampolines. Those guys are the worst.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:50 AM   #16
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
“Tesla Eliminates Most Barriers To EV Ownership, Maintains Huge Competitive Advantage” is a very different story, but a more accurate one.
We've been through this loop before.

It didn't go well.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:20 AM   #17
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
We've been through this loop before.

It didn't go well.

You missed the part where I said Tesla solves the issue.

I just think the CleanTech article is it’s own farce.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:14 PM   #18
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Since when is it illegal to sell something that doesn't work well in an apartment?

Air compressors and tool boxes. Man those things are never going to go mainstream. We should rename GarageJournal - - > Garageapologists.

And don't even get me started on backyard pools and trampolines. Those guys are the worst.
Yeah. Ok.

All bow down to Musk.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote