carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 02-17-2024, 04:19 PM   #21
SCA
Jaded

The GM at our local Porsche dealership was recently telling me that there is not a whole lot of desire for the current generation Taycan. He also he stated that it is not the diehard Porsche enthusiast that are purchasing/leasing them and it is certainly not former or current 911 owners. He seems to believe that they are going to have the same issue with moving the Macan EVs once the initial hype has settled.

Last edited by SCA; 02-17-2024 at 04:34 PM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 05:15 PM   #22
robg
Carmudgeon

Lucid Air RWD at 70k

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
The GM at our local Porsche dealership was recently telling me that there is not a whole lot of desire for the current generation Taycan. He also he stated that it is not the diehard Porsche enthusiast that are purchasing/leasing them and it is certainly not former or current 911 owners. He seems to believe that they are going to have the same issue with moving the Macan EVs once the initial hype has settled.

Yeah I do wonder how well the macan ev will do after the initial hype dies down . They’re kind of in a pickle given that they won’t be able to sell the ICE macan in Europe after this summer due to new regs going into effect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 05:16 PM   #23
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Random, but Champion Porsche keeps popping up on my Instagram with $17k off Taycan leases. Not surprising as I have been informed that Taycan sales are currently nonexistent.

Think I’ve seen some similar deals pop up as well. Frankly they’d have to discount more than that to make it palatable given how high Porsches money factors are on their leases plus the amazing etron GT deals

Old 02-18-2024, 10:33 AM   #24
JST

My understanding is that the both the current Macan and 718 can’t meet EU cyber regulations, so they couldn’t continue to be sold over there without a pretty extensive refresh of their electronics. That comports with the idea that they’re only be retained because of US sales.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 10:36 AM   #25
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Yeah I do wonder how well the macan ev will do after the initial hype dies down . They’re kind of in a pickle given that they won’t be able to sell the ICE macan in Europe after this summer due to new regs going into effect

My Porsche SA whom has been with Porsche for decades stated that the only reason the ICE Macan is being retained for now is solely for the US market. Apparently it is not going away anytime soon. PCNA sold a fair amount of them in 2023. #1 in sales.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6537.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	574.9 KB
ID:	17041  

Last edited by SCA; 02-18-2024 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-18-2024, 10:42 AM   #26
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Sounds like a pretty big problem.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 11:20 AM   #27
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
My Porsche SA whom has been with Porsche for decades stated that the only reason the ICE Macan is being retained for now is solely for the US market. Apparently it is not going away anytime soon. PCNA sold a fair amount of them in 2023. #1 in sales.

Oh for sure. They can still continue selling it other markets (other than Europe) but I’m sure the US is the biggest market. That being said I don’t think they have plans to continue production on them indefinitely; I remember reading that they’ll stop production in about 2 years (maybe less)

Old 02-18-2024, 11:26 AM   #28
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Oh for sure. They can still continue selling it other markets (other than Europe) but I’m sure the US is the biggest market. That being said I don’t think they have plans to continue production on them indefinitely; I remember reading that they’ll stop production in about 2 years (maybe less)

For some reason MY 2027 seems to ring a bell. I believe that will be the last model year for the ICE Macan.
Old 02-18-2024, 11:41 AM   #29
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
For some reason MY 2027 seems to ring a bell. I believe that will be the last model year for the ICE Macan.

Crazy to think how much mileage they’ve gotten out of considering it’s still based on a first gen q5!

Old 02-18-2024, 12:25 PM   #30
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Crazy to think how much mileage they’ve gotten out of considering it’s still based on a first gen q5!

Agreed. Very long in the tooth. Of course, Toyota has been doing the same thing with the fifth Gen 4Runner. 14 model years.