carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2024, 10:13 AM   #11
lemming
Western Anomaly
 
lemming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Posts: 16,594
Agree with @Alan. The 240V charger is reasonably priced (on average) and contributes to enhancing quality of life, IMHO.
__________________


lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 10:52 AM   #12
JST
195
 
JST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 24,607
Yes, I would install the charger. Itís a much nicer experience to have that capability at home.

Not sure what the ID.4s charge limit is, but Iíd put in a 60 amp circuit and a charger capable of 48 amps to give yourself some headroom going forward. Honestly the cheapest option may be a Tesla charger with a J1772 adapter; itís what Iíve been using for the X5 and it works great.

Edit: looks like the ID.4 has an 11 kW onboard charger, so it can make use of a 48 kWh EVSE.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 12:56 PM   #13
robg
Carmudgeon
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yes, I would install the charger. Itís a much nicer experience to have that capability at home.

Not sure what the ID.4s charge limit is, but Iíd put in a 60 amp circuit and a charger capable of 48 amps to give yourself some headroom going forward. Honestly the cheapest option may be a Tesla charger with a J1772 adapter; itís what Iíve been using for the X5 and it works great.

Edit: looks like the ID.4 has an 11 kW onboard charger, so it can make use of a 48 kWh EVSE.
Thanks for the info! Yeah, I'm definitely leaning in that direction. We need to get a quote for some other electrical work anyway.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 05:40 PM   #14
robg
Carmudgeon
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,241
My wife just called me to tell me that she succesfully charged at Electrify America. I guess she realized there was a station nearby to where she was and decided to give it a try. Sounds like plug and charge worked and she topped it off to 80%. I'm glad her first public charging experience was smooth- she's not very patient when it comes to learning new tech or dealing with software issues in general. Phew.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 06:09 PM   #15
lemming
Western Anomaly
 
lemming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Posts: 16,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
My wife just called me to tell me that she succesfully charged at Electrify America. I guess she realized there was a station nearby to where she was and decided to give it a try. Sounds like plug and charge worked and she topped it off to 80%. I'm glad her first public charging experience was smooth- she's not very patient when it comes to learning new tech or dealing with software issues in general. Phew.
For us non Tesla people, itís a pretty shit situation mostly though. A lot of these charging options are offline often. If itís 30mi a day youíre well within the 200+ range of the car, but itís just irritation you donít need.

Even on the Left Coast with handsome Gavin Newsom, the charging options are complete crap outside of Tesla.

So Iím thinking, the rest of the country must really suck balls.
__________________


lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 06:51 PM   #16
robg
Carmudgeon
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
For us non Tesla people, itís a pretty shit situation mostly though. A lot of these charging options are offline often. If itís 30mi a day youíre well within the 200+ range of the car, but itís just irritation you donít need.

Even on the Left Coast with handsome Gavin Newsom, the charging options are complete crap outside of Tesla.

So Iím thinking, the rest of the country must really suck balls.
Yup. That's why i was surprised that she had a good experience. I've read nothing but horror stories. We will almost never actually need to use public chargers though...this was just more of a lark. I wouldn't have bought this car if I thought we'd regularly have to rely on them.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 08:47 PM   #17
ZBB
Relic
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Location: The Valley of the Sun
Posts: 12,821
Congrats! Welcome to the EV world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yes, I would install the charger. It’s a much nicer experience to have that capability at home.

Not sure what the ID.4s charge limit is, but I’d put in a 60 amp circuit and a charger capable of 48 amps to give yourself some headroom going forward. Honestly the cheapest option may be a Tesla charger with a J1772 adapter; it’s what I’ve been using for the X5 and it works great.

Edit: looks like the ID.4 has an 11 kW onboard charger, so it can make use of a 48 kWh EVSE.
Tesla even sells a wall charger with a J1772 plug.

But considering everyone is adopting NACS, maybe just get the Tesla charger and an adapter
__________________
ZBB
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 11:35 AM   #18
lemming
Western Anomaly
 
lemming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Posts: 16,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Congrats! Welcome to the EV world.



Tesla even sells a wall charger with a J1772 plug.

But considering everyone is adopting NACS, maybe just get the Tesla charger and an adapter
This is a dumb question, but are most houses equipped with the wiring to handle 3-5 EVs and 3 chargers at the 240V level? Or higher?

Or do those of us with old houses have to worry about rebuilding the electrical system to handle?
__________________


lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 11:56 AM   #19
SARAFIL
I like BMWs
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 5,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
This is a dumb question, but are most houses equipped with the wiring to handle 3-5 EVs and 3 chargers at the 240V level? Or higher?

Or do those of us with old houses have to worry about rebuilding the electrical system to handle?

Most newer homes will have 200 amp service which should be sufficient for 1-2 EVs. Older homes with 100 amp likely need an upgrade, but Iíd argue they need that whether or not EVs were on the mix. If you want 3+ EVs - guess that depends on what type of charging situation you need, running 3 cars at the same time will need a lot of juice so youíd probably need to alternate.
__________________
2020 X5 M50i -- Alpine White / Coffee Leather
2020 M550i -- Carbon Black / Beige Leather
SARAFIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 12:38 PM   #20
lemming
Western Anomaly
 
lemming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Posts: 16,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Most newer homes will have 200 amp service which should be sufficient for 1-2 EVs. Older homes with 100 amp likely need an upgrade, but Iíd argue they need that whether or not EVs were on the mix. If you want 3+ EVs - guess that depends on what type of charging situation you need, running 3 cars at the same time will need a lot of juice so youíd probably need to alternate.
Honestly, I think most of us need to consider having n=2 Level 2/3 chargers in the next 5 years. I think hybrids will largely dominate, but my question is starting with each of our domiciles and then radiating out to the grid. And if the grid can support X number of houses at the 240V level.

I just have never thought deeply about this before. Iím wondering in the NorthEast and the cranky and ancient infrastructure if this can be supported.
__________________


lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leased a Cadillac yesterday..... Bruce330cic Car Talk 41 09-23-2014 12:09 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forums © 2003-2008, 'Mudgeon Enterprises - Site hosting by AYN & Associates, LLC