carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-18-2024, 04:04 PM   #21
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Not to sound like FC, but it’s been my plan all along to get the Macan EV. Which is why I am fine having a Porsche GTI in the interim.

The one wildcard is that I like the hybrid system so much, I could be convinced to consider a Panamera eHybrid.

I like this styling better than the Taycan. But you guys know how cheap I can be, if Taycan prices plummet I would get a CPO Taycan instead of a new Macan EV.

Sweet! You can be the Beta-Tester for me! Are you on the list to get one? Our dealer already has a list a mile long. Shocker… only a quarter of those on it will probably purchase one.

Edit: Like you if the prices on a CPO Taycan dropped considerably I would possibly consider purchasing one. Maybe… after dictation typed that and then I read it, I thought I don’t know about that.

Last edited by SCA; 01-18-2024 at 04:24 PM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 06:26 PM   #22
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Sweet! You can be the Beta-Tester for me! Are you on the list to get one? Our dealer already has a list a mile long. Shocker… only a quarter of those on it will probably purchase one.

Edit: Like you if the prices on a CPO Taycan dropped considerably I would possibly consider purchasing one. Maybe… after dictation typed that and then I read it, I thought I don’t know about that.

I'd prefer a CPO Taycan CT to the Macan EV. But, unfortunately, prices are still surprisingly high (IMO). I thought Taycan prices were supposed to tank. And there's not many to choose from.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 07:19 PM   #23
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
I'd prefer a CPO Taycan CT to the Macan EV. But, unfortunately, prices are still surprisingly high (IMO). I thought Taycan prices were supposed to tank. And there's not many to choose from.
New Taycans are certainly not selling quickly. At least not locally.
Old 01-18-2024, 07:41 PM   #24
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
New Taycans are certainly not selling quickly. At least not locally.

Yeah same here- lots of RWD taycans on the lot. Cross turismos are few and far between from what I’ve seen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2024, 07:57 PM   #25
SCA
Jaded

The EV charging infrastructure within the Southeast is total crap. It is a joke! Naturally it is perfectly fine for Tesla owners.
Old 01-18-2024, 09:20 PM   #26
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
I’m on the waitlist for the Macan EV now, not sure what position, but I’m sure there is plenty of interest, this being SoCal.

I would say that the SoCal network, outside of Tesla, is abysmal.

And I don’t think there’s a time I could foresee when I would enter the fray and become a Tesla owner. I’m being stubborn, but the cars do not fascinate. Rivian seems cool, other than weighing almost 8000 pounds. But then back to square one with the charging issue.

EVs right now feel more niche than a convertible, to be honest.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 09:30 PM   #27
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
I wrote about my experience with an i4 M50 or whatever it is. Yeah, EV's are not there yet. They are very fast, but the driving experience is quite poor. Smooth, but poor. If you told me that the alternative was a hyper-turbo'ed and laggy 4-cylinder or a 10+ yo used car, I might get over it, but that is not the case yet. In the meantime, I am hopeful that they will continue to improve EV's. And if hybridization is the only other path, I hope that the high-end manufacturers rediscover small displacement engines with 6+ cylinders.

Also, the M5 cost about as much as a loaded new i4 M50. So there is that.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 08:16 AM   #28
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I wrote about my experience with an i4 M50 or whatever it is. Yeah, EV's are not there yet. They are very fast, but the driving experience is quite poor. Smooth, but poor. If you told me that the alternative was a hyper-turbo'ed and laggy 4-cylinder or a 10+ yo used car, I might get over it, but that is not the case yet. In the meantime, I am hopeful that they will continue to improve EV's. And if hybridization is the only other path, I hope that the high-end manufacturers rediscover small displacement engines with 6+ cylinders.

Also, the M5 cost about as much as a loaded new i4 M50. So there is that.
Interesting. I have not driven one yet. I would be curious to, given how it is basically my car as EV. But sounds like they are very different experiences.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 11:50 AM   #29
robg
Carmudgeon

I'm actually considering trying to score cheap lease on an EV. But, I'd be doing it with the expectation of never using public charging / only charging at home. Personally, I'd prefer an EV for the type of daily errand driving that seems to currently make up about 80%+ of our driving patterns. But long road trips? Nah. And as an enthusiast/weekend car? Also nah.
Old 01-24-2024, 09:00 PM   #30
SCA
Jaded

The Macan EV was leaked today. A day prior to the world debut.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7066.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	872.6 KB
ID:	16976  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7067.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	799.0 KB
ID:	16977