carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 11-30-2023, 09:32 AM   #11
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post
This is a timely post as I need to go disconnect the battery in the 987 for the winter. I rent a garage spot in a condo building and I don't think there are any convenient outlets to plug into unfortunately.

Regarding covers, I ended up buying the Porsche outdoor cover even though the car is garaged.
You should take the older Porsche maintainer I have. I have no use for it now that I am getting a new one.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 09:40 AM   #12
JST

I had good luck with the Porsche outdoor cover on the 987; I went through two of them in the 12 years I had the car, but given that I was using them outside getting 5-6 years out of them seemed reasonable.

Personally I’d probably just buy the Porsche indoor cover and be done with it.

And yeah on the 987; it will kill a battery in a few weeks if you don’t drive it or plug it into a tender. Fortunately swapping batteries is pretty simple but no reason to do that if you don’t have to.

You should take it to an audio shop and get the Porsche Classic unit installed over winter, though!
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 09:56 AM   #13
FC
Solving problems

OK, thanks everyone. I'll roll the dice with the Porsche cover. We'll see how that goes.
Old 11-30-2023, 10:01 AM   #14
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
You should take the older Porsche maintainer I have. I have no use for it now that I am getting a new one.
Sure if you definitely aren't going to use it. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I had good luck with the Porsche outdoor cover on the 987; I went through two of them in the 12 years I had the car, but given that I was using them outside getting 5-6 years out of them seemed reasonable.

Personally I’d probably just buy the Porsche indoor cover and be done with it.

And yeah on the 987; it will kill a battery in a few weeks if you don’t drive it or plug it into a tender. Fortunately swapping batteries is pretty simple but no reason to do that if you don’t have to.

You should take it to an audio shop and get the Porsche Classic unit installed over winter, though!
Ok yeah I will plan on taking it out for a spin tonight I guess. It's going to be tough to use the tender in my current parking situation but I'll poke around. Worst case is I just disconnect the battery.

Edit: and yes I need to find a solution for the Porsche Classic thing. There have been some very middling reviews, especially from folks with the Bose system, regarding sound quality issues so I want to make sure we do it right.

Last edited by zach; 11-30-2023 at 10:50 AM.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 10:34 AM   #15
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I'm going on 4 years with the cover for the 991 and it looks brand new. I guess my experience is different. I use the ctek maintainer wired directly to the battery. For some reason the idea of charging through the cig lighter makes me uncomfortable.
Year two on mine and it is only used during the winter months when the 997 is thoroughly cleaned prior to storing.

Truthfully, I think some old flat bed sheets would do just fine, at least for my purpose of keeping the dust off a clean vehicle.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 10:48 AM   #16
SCA
Jaded

Given my experience with the current Porsche indoor cover, I am more inclined to purchase one of the top three for the 992. Edit: I currently do not plan on covering it though as it will be a semi DD.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4310.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	901.3 KB
ID:	16687  

Last edited by SCA; 11-30-2023 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-30-2023, 11:57 AM   #17
Nick M3
Relic

I'm not a fan of the CTEK chargers - the buttons fail, rendering them useless.

I like the Noco chargers and jumper packs these days.

If you are JUST using it as a trickle charger, this is great:
https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GENIUS1-.../dp/B07W46BX31

They make a lot of different variants, including higher amperage and multi-car charging. I have a couple of the GENIUS1, and a GENIUS10 for higher draw uses.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 12:58 PM   #18
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
I'm not a fan of the CTEK chargers - the buttons fail, rendering them useless.

I like the Noco chargers and jumper packs these days.

If you are JUST using it as a trickle charger, this is great:
https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GENIUS1-.../dp/B07W46BX31

They make a lot of different variants, including higher amperage and multi-car charging. I have a couple of the GENIUS1, and a GENIUS10 for higher draw uses.
Interesting. Thanks.
Old 11-30-2023, 01:40 PM   #19
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
FC, #2 is produced by CTEK for all the European manufacturers. One is simply paying for the labeling/marketing from the manufacturer. I have used the one below on all my autos for years. No issues…

Edit: I have the indoor car cover from Porsche for the 997.2. I will not purchase another one for the Carrera T. They are not worth it… I purchased it from Suncoast. It is definitely nothing extravagant given what they cost.
Had a feeling it was a regular electronics company making the maintainers for Porsche. The "Porsche" name is an automatic 20% increase in price, LOL.

Never did quite understand why in the world people would pay extra for the brand name. That's like paying extra for BMW-labeled motor oil, when Castrol meets/exceeds the requirement at a far lesser price.

I suppose people do it because they have money to burn and they sleep better at night.

(Which reminds me. I better top off my tires with BMW-approved air due to the colder temperatures).

2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 01:51 PM   #20
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LOU5 View Post
Had a feeling it was a regular electronics company making the maintainers for Porsche. The "Porsche" name is an automatic 20% increase in price, LOL.

Never did quite understand why in the world people would pay extra for the brand name. That's like paying extra for BMW-labeled motor oil, when Castrol meets/exceeds the requirement at a far lesser price.

I suppose people do it because they have money to burn and they sleep better at night.

(Which reminds me. I better top off my tires with BMW-approved air due to the colder temperatures).

CTEK manufactures their tenders/chargers for Porsche, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Ferrari, Maserati, etc., and etc. You get the gist.

BTW, Castrol has not been the supplier for BMW OE motor oils for quite some time. Shell is the current supplier.

Edit: Perfect example of just how out of touchup I have become in regards to BMW, apparently they switched back to Castrol in 2021.
https://gearshifters.org/bmw/who-makes-bmw-engine-oil/