carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 02-02-2006, 06:40 PM   #11
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
Beyond the fact that it's got a big badge mounted in the center of the trunk, I can't exactly put my finger on why it looks so much like a VW. But it does, to the point that when I saw one on the road from a distance, I was convinced it was some sort of VW--even though I knew it wasn't, since it didn't look like any specific VW model.
I've seen a bunch of Lucerns lately (Buick sponsers the FBR Open, and I drive near the TPC of Scottsdale every few days). Coming up on it from the rear, it looks like a VW, but the badge is so large you can tell from fairly far away that its not a VW.

I think part of it is the shape of the taillights and the rear window and C-pillar -- very late-90s VW...

The interior of the Lucern actually looks pretty nice also. Not necessarily driver-oriented, but very clean with nice looking materials (even the fake wood doesn't look that fake)...
Old 02-02-2006, 06:44 PM   #12
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB
You're right on both... except have you seen the trunk on the Milan? Holy gigantic chrome turn signals Batman (and a rather oversized Mercury logo too).

I drove a Lincoln Zephyr and sat in the Fusion at Barrett-Jackson last week -- adn i am a little surprised that you can't get Leather in the Fusion (you have to get the Milan to get leather). Its badge-engineering like that that is what makes the Ford brand troubled. I don't think they should necessarily kill Mercury (although it might be a good idea); but limiting Ford to the low-end really makes me want to go buy a Ford product...
What did you think of the Zephyr?

The badge engineering thing is annoying, but just looking at the sticker of a Milan the other day, it struck me as a pretty solid value--24K and change for what seemed like a very well equipped car.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 06:52 PM   #13
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
What did you think of the Zephyr?

The badge engineering thing is annoying, but just looking at the sticker of a Milan the other day, it struck me as a pretty solid value--24K and change for what seemed like a very well equipped car.
The Zephyr was nice. I wouldn't necessarily buy one, but the interior design was pretty nice. However for only ~2k more, you could get an Acura TL that is larger and even nicer inside. (I think the one I drove had a sticker around $29k) Vs the Fusion, you could tell they put more money into the interior plastics, although many basic parts are shared, so you get a mix of quality level. There also is much more sound deadening material in the Zephyr -- its fairly quiet to ride in.

As far as driving the Zephyr... Let me just say that most of my recent Ford product experience is with Tauruses and 4-pot Mazda 6's from Hertz. I absolutely detest Tauruses (so much so that I will ask Hertz for a downgrade if they give me one). It felt much lighter than the Taurus, but a bit heavier than the 6. But it accelerated nicely, and had none of the buzziness of the 4-pot in the 6.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:51 PM   #14
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
The GTI...now, that might be a truly great car.
I saw one of these tonight. At first glance I thought it was a previous gen. Civic Si.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 08:06 PM   #15
ed328ci
Realist

Carmudgeonly Ride: E90 325i
I like the exterior of the new Jetta. Unfortunately, none of the dealers here know when they will get the GLi.

Ed

Common sense, isn't
ed328ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:07 AM   #16
JST

Info on the GTI:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2399309

Unfortunately, no ass warmers with the nifty plaid upholstery, and no BT (yet).

More info than you could ever want on the 2.0T engine:

http://www.dangonay.com/images/pictures/VW20T.pdf
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:19 AM   #17
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed328ci
I like the exterior of the new Jetta. Unfortunately, none of the dealers here know when they will get the GLi.

Ed
Marisa and I sat in a GLi Jetta at Ourisman a month ago while her MKIV jetta was in getting a recall performed. It's nice inside, but according to the spec sheet it's gained more than 400lb over the MKIV and didn't gain that much power in the transition to the 2.0T motor. We were very "meh."

John
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 12:46 PM   #18
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
Info on the GTI:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2399309

Unfortunately, no ass warmers with the nifty plaid upholstery, and no BT (yet).

More info than you could ever want on the 2.0T engine:

http://www.dangonay.com/images/pictures/VW20T.pdf
thanks for the info, priced pretty well, 4 door gti is a nice option

Quote:
The US GTI has the same shocks as the EURO GTI!

Quote:
The US Spec GTI's Plaid Cloth Sport Seats are not as bolstered as the Top-Leather Sport Seats or Euro Spec Plaid Cloth Sport Seats.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 01:06 PM   #19
SCA
Jaded

In the March C&D there is a compro between the new Civic Si and the new VW GTI. GTI came out as the winner finishing with 220 and the Si with 215.

Highs of the GTI: Flexiable and strong turbocharged engine, refined road manners, luxury-car interior appointments, rear-seat speace, the gearbox of the future.

Lows of the GTI: Boxy Profile, at-the-limit handling can'ts match the Si's, high cowl and dashboard, high as-tested price.

The Verdict: The GTI is a nearly perfect blend of performance, practicality, and refinement.

Highs of the Si: Willing and unflappable chassis, dogged refusal to understeer, life beyond 6000 rpm, attractive base price.

Lows of the Si: Bizarre interior design, cramped rear seat, lack of torque, touchy brakes.

The Verdict: Honda delivers a fun-to-drive and affordable Si that can't match VW's packaging.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 01:29 PM   #20
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean
In the March C&D there is a compro between the new Civic Si and the new VW GTI. GTI came out as the winner finishing with 220 and the Si with 215.

Highs of the GTI: Flexiable and strong turbocharged engine, refined road manners, luxury-car interior appointments, rear-seat speace, the gearbox of the future.

Lows of the GTI: Boxy Profile, at-the-limit handling can'ts match the Si's, high cowl and dashboard, high as-tested price.

The Verdict: The GTI is a nearly perfect blend of performance, practicality, and refinement.

Highs of the Si: Willing and unflappable chassis, dogged refusal to understeer, life beyond 6000 rpm, attractive base price.

Lows of the Si: Bizarre interior design, cramped rear seat, lack of torque, touchy brakes.

The Verdict: Honda delivers a fun-to-drive and affordable Si that can't match VW's packaging.
Based on that alone, the Si sounds to me like the winner.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote