carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2018, 10:41 AM   #81
lemming
Eastern Promises
 
lemming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: Blue Pig
Posts: 13,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
There is an ever growing contingent of middle aged women in my neighborhood driving Jeeps as their primary vehicles.
v.true.

it's a weird demographic of owners.
__________________


lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:52 PM   #82
ff
.
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
There is an ever growing contingent of middle aged women in my neighborhood driving Jeeps as their primary vehicles.
Ditto. And outfitted with all the off road bolt-ons. I guess that's so when they inevitably end up in the ditch, mowing down saplings, they won't scratch the fancy aftermarket paint job.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:13 PM   #83
clyde
Chief title editor
 
clyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 22,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
Ditto. And outfitted with all the off road bolt-ons. I guess that's so when they inevitably end up in the ditch, mowing down saplings, they won't scratch the fancy aftermarket paint job.
Meh. A bunch of the women here regularly go off roading. It's not lupinsea type off roading, but it's something.
__________________
OH NOES!!!!!1 MY CAR HAS T3H UND3R5T33R5555!!!!!!1oneone!!!!11

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:47 PM   #84
equ
Alphanumeric
 
equ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S/535i/JGC Diesel
Posts: 7,562
No, it's probably a bunch of folks who want something different or cool. They could daily or commute in a sedan, a hatchback or whatever (I guess crossover these days). Instead they are the people who would get a sports car, or a beetle 'vert or a Jeep. Men or women, it's not a rational choice, it's appealing emotionally.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:07 PM   #85
rumatt
Mugwump
 
rumatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, E91 325xi, Chevy Colorado, Cayman R
Location: NY
Posts: 16,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Well there is a version above quadra trac ii, and that's quadra drive ii
I read enough to finally understand the JGC AWD sytems. Multiple of the web sites summarizing them are out of date, including the one I linked above. Here are the facts:

As equ says, QD2 (Quadradrive 2) is based on QT2 (Quadratrac 2) - they share the identical 2-speed transfer case etc. The only difference is how the transfer power side to side.

QT2 controls power side to side using BLD (Brake Lock Diffferential - ie the brakes)
QD2 adds in a pretty cool e-LSD that has the ability to send 100% of power to one wheel, effectively acting as a locking diff.

QD2 from the WK generation (2005-2010) had 2 e-LSD's, front and rear. But the 2011+ WK2 generation has 1 e-LSD in the rear only, and keeps the BLD for the front. The JGC purists are annoyed and think it's BS they called it QD2 with just one locking diff. People claim that Jeep engineering said "the WK2 traction computer is so much more processing power (quicker response) and with updated algorithms that front ELSD is of insignificant benefit, not worth its disadvantages. "


Here's a great video comparing the QT2 and QD2 systems on WK and WK2 JGC's. It compares:

Open diffs: FAIL
WK + QT2: Wheel spin, but BLD clearly effective
WK2 + QT2: Less wheel spin than WK. BLD definitely improved
WK + QD2: eLSDs very impressive. Looks like a pure locker.
WK2 + QD2: Not included. I was hoping to see how the front BLD on the QD2 performed together with the rear eLSD.




Despite missing a front locker, this WK2 2014 JGC seems to pass the diagonal test with flying colors - almost no wheel spin. The video doesn't specify, but I assume it has QD2.


And a fun torture test really showing off the locking ability of QD2 on a 2006 Jeep Commander

Last edited by rumatt; 02-03-2018 at 09:51 PM.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:10 PM   #86
lemming
Eastern Promises
 
lemming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: Blue Pig
Posts: 13,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
I read enough to finally understand the JGC AWD sytems. Multiple of the web sites summarizing them are out of date, including the one I linked above. Here are the facts:

As equ says, QD2 (Quadradrive 2) is based on QT2 (Quadratrac 2) - they share the identical 2-speed transfer case etc. The only difference is how the transfer power side to side.

QT2 controls power side to side using BLD (Brake Lock Diffferential - ie the brakes)
QD2 adds in a pretty cool e-LSD that has the ability to send 100% of power to one wheel, effectively acting as a locking diff.

QD2 from the WK generation (2005-2010) had 2 e-LSD's, front and rear. But the 2011+ WK2 generation has 1 e-LSD in the rear only, and keeps the BLD for the front. The JGC purists are annoyed and think it's BS they called it QD2 with just one locking diff. People claim that Jeep engineering said "the WK2 traction computer is so much more processing power (quicker response) and with updated algorithms that front ELSD is of insignificant benefit, not worth its disadvantages. "


Here's a great video comparing the QT2 and QD2 systems on WK and WK2 JGC's. It compares:

Open diffs: FAIL
WK + QT2: Wheel spin, but BLD clearly effective
WK2 + QT2: Less wheel spin than WK. BLD definitely improved
WK + QD2: eLSDs very impressive. Looks like a pure locker.
WK2 + QD2: Not included. I was hoping to see how the front BLD on the QD2 performed together with the rear eLSD.




Despite missing a front locker, this WK2 2014 JGC seems to pass the diagonal test with flying colors - almost no wheel spin. The video doesn't specify, but I assume it has QD2.


And a fun torture test really showing off the locking ability of QD2 on a 2006 Jeep Commander
super fascinating. cool to see what is effective compared to full mechanical hardware for differentials.

i've never worried about getting stuck in the JK and i think it's open diffs on both axles.
__________________


lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:25 PM   #87
rumatt
Mugwump
 
rumatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, E91 325xi, Chevy Colorado, Cayman R
Location: NY
Posts: 16,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
i've never worried about getting stuck in the JK and i think it's open diffs on both axles.
I'm sure you've got some kind of brake lock differential going on there.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:20 PM   #88
equ
Alphanumeric
 
equ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S/535i/JGC Diesel
Posts: 7,562
I wanted to get QDII, it was just too hard to line up shopping used with price, diesel, condition criteria. Once I slap some snows on this, also with the front-to-rear lock option, I doubt I'll be stuck.

Yes, they all have brake simulated on the axles.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:27 PM   #89
rumatt
Mugwump
 
rumatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, E91 325xi, Chevy Colorado, Cayman R
Location: NY
Posts: 16,253
Just don't forget to buy snow tires, then get stuck and become this guy

rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:40 PM   #90
equ
Alphanumeric
 
equ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S/535i/JGC Diesel
Posts: 7,562
I already parked about on a good chunk of snow, ice and slush with worn all-seasons (the tire set I threw out). It spun a bit, but wasn't bad. i can also raise mine a few inches.

I don't know if that guy has the center lock (or would know or be calm enough to use it). Plenty of base Laredos out there without the locking transfer case.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shopping for a car for my kid Josh (PA) Perseverators Anonymous 6 03-13-2014 01:01 AM
Car Shopping Pinecone Perseverators Anonymous 91 08-22-2013 03:28 PM
new car shopping Optimus Prime Perseverators Anonymous 96 05-04-2012 07:08 PM
MX-5 Shopping lupinsea Perseverators Anonymous 21 11-22-2011 03:55 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forums 2003-2008, 'Mudgeon Enterprises - Site hosting by AYN & Associates, LLC