carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-10-2018, 07:11 PM   #51
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
I agree, they’re sloppier, more likely to let splashes and drips on the paint, and you have to wait for them. But I’ve gotten over it, especially when it’s like 2 degrees out.
Hate waiting in line at NJ Turnpike stops. Hate seeing no line at the next service area even more when I ---probably--- could have made it.

First time I drove through Oregon in 1989(?) I didn't know about the law there and pumped my own. The attendant when he eventually wandered over, explained it to me, but was lackadaisical about it.

The next place in Oregon I got gas, I pumped my own again, and the attendant there flipped the fuck out about how I was putting him and every in a half mile radius at grave physical risk since I was not a trained professional. It was truly weird.

The Jalopnik story about people there freaking out over having to pump their own gas was kinda funny. https://jalopnik.com/join-america-in...abo-1821708958

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:20 PM   #52
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I’m with Kevin on this one. Don’t want anyone touching my car.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:33 AM   #53
ff

I wouldn't care that much about people touching my car to pump gas. I just don't like having other people do things for me, when I'm perfectly capable of doing them myself.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:50 AM   #54
JST

My issue with the gas thing is just that it takes so goddamn long. They never have enough pump jockeys, and so you sit in front of an empty pump waiting for someone to come over and do things that you could have done minutes ago.

It’s especially absurd now with credit card machines in the pumps.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:54 AM   #55
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
My issue with the gas thing is just that it takes so goddamn long. They never have enough pump jockeys, and so you sit in front of an empty pump waiting for someone to come over and do things that you could have done minutes ago.

It’s especially absurd now with credit card machines in the pumps.
This is exactly it. I had to drive in NJ to go get our new X5 over the summer and made DAMN sure I didn't need to stop for gas because I knew it had the potential to F up my timing (sitting for 2 hours waiting at the dealership for the car to be "ready" is a story for another day).
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:55 AM   #56
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
My issue with the gas thing is just that it takes so goddamn long.
Exactly my beef with it. If I wanted to wait a half hour to get filled up I would buy a Tesla.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:25 AM   #57
kognito
older fart than ZBB

The last, very last time I filled up in Oregon was at a station in front of a grocery store. (pumps were run by the grocery store) There were 5 fuel islands, so 10 pumps plus a the islands on the end also had diesel pumps.

There was 1 person working to pump gas. just 1!! and I swear the guy was about 87 years old.

Our class A rv had a 125 gallon diesel tank, but had fill necks on both sides of the RV. Seemed convenient to be able to fill from either side of the RV, but there was a trick to it. When using the larger diameter truck nozzles, you had to open both caps to vent the tank. If you didn't, diesel would burp out of the tank, and all over the outside paint job.

I told the 89 year old dude that I used to pump fuel in NJ, and filling this tank was tricky, so he let me pump my own. But he still had to come over to the pump, and "unlock it" with his special card.

Did get a lot of stares from other motorists. Maybe they thought I was taking away from the 89 year old's responsibilities, or maybe they never saw a 40foot RV before at the supermarket pumps
Old 01-11-2018, 09:25 AM   #58
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Exactly my beef with it. If I wanted to wait a half hour to get filled up I would buy a Tesla.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:15 AM   #59
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Which, ironically, you can plug in yourself.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:39 PM   #60
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Equ, if you street park your extra cars, how much headache have you with dead batteries? And tire flat spotting?

I find it fairly annoying having to think about my 3rd car's battery and drive it when I wouldn't otherwise want to. And I can't put a solar charger in the E91 without fancy wiring because the cigarette charger is off when the car is off.

I need to get my system figured out, or go back to 2 cars.

Last edited by rumatt; 01-11-2018 at 12:50 PM.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote