carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-06-2021, 10:49 AM   #201
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I also find it amusing that it's a feature that is so important to so many people.

I'm just glad the car is still available with a manual transmission and seats that move fore-and-aft with (gasp) A LEVER
Ha ha yes, that's true.

The hand/foot waving functions are not my favorite; I find them really irritating. What would be a lot better is a soft-close feature for the frunk, but...it's a sports car so WGAS, really.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:48 AM   #202
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
I'm not sure about that. Per the configurator:

"Porsche Entry and Drive includes: Front and rear trunk are opened via the key buttons or interior switches"
The frunk opening by the wave over the front has to be a part of it, my 911 has this feature and has the 'Entry & Drive', my Cayman which doesn't have 'Entry & Drive' does not open the frunk with the hand wave.

What gets annoying is when washing the car with the keyfob in your pocket it opens the frunk every time the hose hits it which is over and over again
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:50 AM   #203
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
I also find it amusing that it's a feature that is so important to so many people.

I'm just glad the car is still available with a manual transmission and seats that move fore-and-aft with (gasp) A LEVER
Yes.

The electronic frippery? All it does is let you down.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:10 PM   #204
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
As horrifying as it will be to own a car that I have to use a key to start, I think I will have to skip this option
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:30 PM   #205
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:

Ha- I admit that I'm guilty of being a bit spoiled when it comes to now wanting certain luxuries in my cars. This probably means I'm not yet ready or qualified to own a real drivers car such as this. I'd probably spec it w/ heated and cooled power seats with adjustbale lumbar (massage too if they offered it!), full leather, "entry and drive", and probably some other frippery. Maybe I need to start shopping for Chrysler Cordobas..
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:43 PM   #206
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
As I said in the other thread it’s getting worse. Now BMW offers proximity sensors to unlock the car when you get close. That sounds super annoying on so many levels.
Old 10-06-2021, 12:44 PM   #207
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
As I said in the other thread it’s getting worse. Now BMW offers proximity sensors to unlock the car when you get close. That sounds super annoying on so many levels.
I think that's something a lot of OEMs are starting to copy from Tesla (along with putting everything on a touch screen). Knowing BMW, I bet there is a way to disable that feature in the settings though.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:49 PM   #208
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Hey I'm with you on the heated and cooled seats, plus the full leather. Proximity lock and unlock sounds like a tremendously bad idea that is also very poorly implemented
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:50 PM   #209
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Quote:
Yeah ours does that. It can be annoying but if you don't like it you can turn it off I believe.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 05:37 PM   #210
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
I have it on 2 of our cars and it works well but this is far from a new feature, my 93 and 95 Corvettes had it back in the day.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote