carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 05-25-2017, 08:56 AM   #31
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Whatever helps them make their case, man. But certainly interesting.

I'm glad they still make it. I've been mulling the thought of upgrading it to a Boxster in the future when I no longer need to give kids a ride to school (3-4 years away), but I seriously wonder if there's an ROI there given the actual amount of fun extracted on public roads.

Yes, it's not fast. And the moment you deal with 50mph+, straight roads, you notice it. But on winding country roads, or even hwy exit ramps it's really hard to beat. I still attribute a lot of it to the short gearing, but sadly that is one of the big hits against the P-cars - their outrageously tall 1-2 (3?) gearing.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:10 AM   #32
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
sadly that is one of the big hits against the P-cars - their outrageously tall 1-2 (3?) gearing.
I wonder how/if the 718 iteration changes that.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:10 PM   #33
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
You know, people complain about porsche 1/2 gearing, but there are benefits. The car is torquey enough, you end up shifting at low rpm's, and that makes it smooooth. Most sports cars buck and jerk (think e46M or especially modified rear ratios). The p-cars are smooth around town if not wildly fast. On the highway, 4/5/6 are always proper and that's when you fly.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:02 PM   #34
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Whatever helps them make their case, man. But certainly interesting.

I'm glad they still make it. I've been mulling the thought of upgrading it to a Boxster in the future when I no longer need to give kids a ride to school (3-4 years away), but I seriously wonder if there's an ROI there given the actual amount of fun extracted on public roads.

Yes, it's not fast. And the moment you deal with 50mph+, straight roads, you notice it. But on winding country roads, or even hwy exit ramps it's really hard to beat. I still attribute a lot of it to the short gearing, but sadly that is one of the big hits against the P-cars - their outrageously tall 1-2 (3?) gearing.
NC or ND is what you're driving?

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:55 PM   #35
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
You know, people complain about porsche 1/2 gearing, but there are benefits. The car is torquey enough, you end up shifting at low rpm's, and that makes it smooooth. Most sports cars buck and jerk (think e46M or especially modified rear ratios). The p-cars are smooth around town if not wildly fast. On the highway, 4/5/6 are always proper and that's when you fly.
Yeah the gearing thing doesn't bother me either. I never understood the obsession with short gearing. Yes it pulls harder for the identical gear. But the moment the miata shifts to second, the Cayman is still in first and now has the gearing advantage. You also have to let off the gas more to shift. Long, shiftless pulls are fun.

And once you're above a moderate speed it's mostly just moving the shift points around. It's not a matter of right or wrong but whether the gearing matches the corner. In the Cayman you might come out of a ramp at top of 2nd at 65 mph. In a different car you'd have had to shift mid-ramp then between gears.

I'm not saying short gearing or a miata is bad. Just different.

Last edited by rumatt; 05-25-2017 at 09:09 PM.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:45 PM   #36
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
NC or ND is what you're driving?
NC. Sports suspension, LSD, and aftermarket front sway bar.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:36 AM   #37
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
NC. Sports suspension, LSD, and aftermarket front sway bar.
oh!

very good.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:03 AM   #38
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Yeah the gearing thing doesn't bother me either. I never understood the obsession with short gearing. Yes it pulls harder for the identical gear. But the moment the miata shifts to second, the Cayman is still in first and now has the gearing advantage. You also have to let off the gas more to shift. Long, shiftless pulls are fun.

And once you're above a moderate speed it's mostly just moving the shift points around. It's not a matter of right or wrong but whether the gearing matches the corner. In the Cayman you might come out of a ramp at top of 2nd at 65 mph. In a different car you'd have had to shift mid-ramp then between gears.

I'm not saying short gearing or a miata is bad. Just different.
I don't know. The gearing is just weird on Boxsters and Caymans. First and second are too tall and sixth is too short. The engine has plenty of torque so why am I turning over 3,000 RPM at a reasonable cruising speed?
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:11 AM   #39
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Has anyone here driven a Fiat 124 Abarth? Is it even available here with a stick yet?
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:34 AM   #40
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I don't know. The gearing is just weird on Boxsters and Caymans. First and second are too tall and sixth is too short. The engine has plenty of torque so why am I turning over 3,000 RPM at a reasonable cruising speed?

My point about the tall 1-2 gearing is that you can so seldom enjoy the engine singing to redline.