carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 12-04-2010, 09:42 PM   #21
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I don't have much experience with the 2.7, 2.9 or 3.2's, but the 3.4 987's are just awesome. A comfortable, daily smooth, rough road capable go cart.
What so you men by rough road? I was looking for creative routes to my daughter's day care and ended up on gravel road. Large gravel. I immediately made a U-turn - the 987S was not going to endure that road!
Old 12-05-2010, 06:53 AM   #22
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I didn't mean gravel or dirt. But the tarmac around here can be questionable:

http://ventoutnyc.com/wordpress/?p=58
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:02 PM   #23
clyde
Chief title editor

Not sure what problem youre trying to solve

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:07 PM   #24
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
I didn't mean gravel or dirt. But the tarmac around here can be questionable:

http://ventoutnyc.com/wordpress/?p=58
i knew what you meant.

after we get some clarity on what the 1M and F-based M3 look like, i might find myself in a pre-owned 'S'. fact is, i'm stupid about liking the new 997 headlamps and the return of the 993 hips so i really want one again.

any new thoughts on your front?

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #25
equ
Alphanumeric

Lem,

So funny (or sad) that after so much time/miles with porsches I'm not sure what I want. (well other than something newer and 2nd gen)

I have found an awesome cayman for sale, 2010, loaded and beautifully spec'ed (gt silver/cocoa) but not local:

http://www.oldnorthphoto.com/Other/L...99853818_K2bSB

normally I'd look forward to the drive. with the bad back, it's a harder proposition.

I could get a boxster for the open top experience (bit suspicious of this choice), I could go for the 911 for the slightly higher refinement/power and quirky handling that you work with or I could stay with the trusted formula (cayman). We'll see.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #26
JST

This is tough. As clyde says, there's no obvious problem to solve--the Cayman you've got is a great car, and it's hard to imagine as an outside observer that the mainly marginal differences between it and a new Cayman could ever justify the substantial cost difference. It would be one thing if your car were on its last legs, but at 4 years/28k miles it's still nearly new and likely has decades of service ahead of it.

At the same time, I understand the desire for a change, and even marginal improvements are real.

Personally, I'd only ever drop the coin on a 911 if I absolutely needed the backseats. Since you don't...

And if I'm going to have a second car, I want it to be a convertible. As you say, the difference between top up and top down is huge.

So, I'd keep the Cayman or get a Boxster.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:36 PM   #27
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
This is tough. As clyde says, there's no obvious problem to solve--the Cayman you've got is a great car, and it's hard to imagine as an outside observer that the mainly marginal differences between it and a new Cayman could ever justify the substantial cost difference. It would be one thing if your car were on its last legs, but at 4 years/28k miles it's still nearly new and likely has decades of service ahead of it.

At the same time, I understand the desire for a change, and even marginal improvements are real.

Personally, I'd only ever drop the coin on a 911 if I absolutely needed the backseats. Since you don't...

And if I'm going to have a second car, I want it to be a convertible. As you say, the difference between top up and top down is huge.

So, I'd keep the Cayman or get a Boxster.
given the same (excellent) car to car, these days i'd opine that the boxster is far more appealing both from a resale point of view as well as overall driving experience simply because of the obvious topdown option.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:41 PM   #28
equ
Alphanumeric

I spent some time thinking about this today and am pretty much reaching the same conclusion.

- Once again I will be ruling out the 997S. Extra power is nice and the refinement too (sometimes), but the handling give up is not worth it. I will continue mid-engine.

- I'll keep thinking about the boxster. I did enjoy it more than expected. There is a near perfect spec near me but the color is blah... They're not unreal expensive to order. I could always order one in right color and spec (for less than what a low mileage 997S goes for). I don't like how they look/feel with the top up so much.

- The gen2 update is significant (imho) and I really would like lumbar support. However, there is no rush...
Old 12-06-2010, 07:38 AM   #29
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
I spent some time thinking about this today and am pretty much reaching the same conclusion.

- Once again I will be ruling out the 997S. Extra power is nice and the refinement too (sometimes), but the handling give up is not worth it. I will continue mid-engine.

- I'll keep thinking about the boxster. I did enjoy it more than expected. There is a near perfect spec near me but the color is blah... They're not unreal expensive to order. I could always order one in right color and spec (for less than what a low mileage 997S goes for). I don't like how they look/feel with the top up so much.

- The gen2 update is significant (imho) and I really would like lumbar support. However, there is no rush...
Certianly no rush for anything top down. I'm even waiting until January to order the M3C--despite the fact that it's a hardtop convertible. Don't want to deal with garage/winter wheels until next season.

I'd also vote that you order a car exactly to your spec, it's always a more satisfying owner experience.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:52 AM   #30
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
. Cons: Older engine design, I'm staying in the M97 family. Nav/music interface busy and dated with many tiny buttons. Getting harder to find the perfect one and they are not new enough at this point. Hardish ride (compared to either 987.2 or 997.2).
What do you mean the buttons are too busy and dated in comparison from the 997.1 to 997.2. The radio looks almost exactly the same except that it is black and not grey.

Also if I recall when looking over my 08 compared to my neighbors 09 cab S the interiors were very close as far as button placement.

I am not saying the 997.2 isn't better because I like the little improvements they did to it but I wouldn't call the interior dated when comparing the 997.1 and 997.2
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote