carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-20-2016, 05:20 PM   #1551
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
So what is the new spec?
Old 10-20-2016, 05:47 PM   #1552
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Josh, I thought the SW updates a while ago made the car undriveable ��
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:08 PM   #1553
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
What's up w/ all the cryptic perservators these days... first Nick and his lack of sedan purchase (did he ever get the Ghibli?) and now Josh. I live vicariously through you guys car shopping these days
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:18 PM   #1554
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
These are troubling choice of words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Ignoring the sketchy "black box" logging/data sharing issue - the plan to look at how autopilot and human actions differ in an accident will be pretty neat to see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yeah, this is actually a pretty solid proposal. Coming up with the record evidence to allow any sort of risk-based regulation of these technologies is a huge trick; this will go a long way toward providing the info that NHTSA needs to decide how best to regulate these things going forward.

I still have no interest in a car that drives itself, which to me is like a self-licking ice cream cone. But I know I'm in the minority.
Have you guys been following the discussions about how cars should be programmed in terms of choosing what/who to hit when collisions are unavoidable?

There is still so much shit to figure out.

Assuming the threshold has been crossed that autonomous cars are good enough that they should be allowed to be used in the market, is it best to push the technology out before ethics and regulations catch up?

Does anyone want to sit on the jury for the first case of a manufacturer being sued when a baby gets hit in a crosswalk and the car chose to mow them down rather than swerve into oncoming traffic and risk the driver?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:28 PM   #1555
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
... chose to mow them down rather than swerve into oncoming traffic and risk the driver?
Is that really so different than a human driver's calculus? How many people do you expect will prioritize others over self?
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:19 PM   #1556
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
While these are interesting and important questions from a philosophical, legal and generally humanities angle, they are remote edge cases that aren't even very clear. The engineering is so, so far from making those unlikely choices. We'd be lucky if it makes out a white truck against a light, bright sky.

All right, all right, I realize it's going to get past those easy cases, but there are vast, broad, numerous edge cases that need engineering/statistical solutions before we even get to "do I run over the mom with the stroller or do I plow into the bus stop?" kind of made-up scenarios. We have little way of modeling how each target would move or react. Are we going to conduct experiments to see that? It's just a discussion that people find interesting, but it's more of an advanced engineering problem (in fact, it may not be a "well-defined" one, but I won't define that here). We have beginner and intermediate to get through first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Have you guys been following the discussions about how cars should be programmed in terms of choosing what/who to hit when collisions are unavoidable?

There is still so much shit to figure out.

Assuming the threshold has been crossed that autonomous cars are good enough that they should be allowed to be used in the market, is it best to push the technology out before ethics and regulations catch up?

Does anyone want to sit on the jury for the first case of a manufacturer being sued when a baby gets hit in a crosswalk and the car chose to mow them down rather than swerve into oncoming traffic and risk the driver?
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:30 PM   #1557
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
This Verge article has some pics of where the new cameras are...

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/20/1...mera-elon-musk
Old 11-01-2016, 09:34 AM   #1558
JST

Interesting comparison of the Bolt and the Model S 60.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevr...la-model-s-60/

The Bolt comes across as pretty impressive, though the biggest flaw in the ointment is the fast charging capability, which is really inferior to Tesla's.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:08 AM   #1559
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post

The Bolt comes across as unattractive and boring
Fixed that for you.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:15 AM   #1560
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Fixed that for you.
Well, it's not attractive, but in the realm of compact hatches it's not so bad.

Performance is pretty decent, actually. Throw some real tires on it and you might have some fun, even if you took a 15-20 percent range hit.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote