carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #21
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
What about the Q5? Everyone seems to love that.
I like the look of those, but I really can't imagine it doing anything "better" than the x3. Also, as far as I can tell, everyone seems to love the mdx too, and that ain't saying much.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #22
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Sometime this year, I drove a 3.0si x3 with a manual. Last of the previous gen, I had always been curious about them and wanted to like it.

It... was... awful...

No comparison to the a4 or the q5. I could not believe how slow-witted it was, in turns or straight. Perhaps that particular car had an issue but many of the 255 horses were nowhere to be found. The elderly 528i had it beat by far. The countryman was better as well.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:41 AM   #23
bren
lawn boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Sometime this year, I drove a 3.0si x3 with a manual. Last of the previous gen, I had always been curious about them and wanted to like it.

It... was... awful....
My parents had a previous gen that I drove numerous times, I never really had a problem with it aside from the maddening transmission that could never make up its mind.

I sure hope they got that resolved in the new one or this could be an expensive mistake.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:13 AM   #24
JST

I haven't driven one of the new 8 speeds, but I've never driven a BMW or Mini with an automatic that was even close to acceptable as far as shift programming goes. That by itself would prevent me from ever buying an automatic BMW.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:26 PM   #25
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post

It... was... awful...

No comparison to the a4 or the q5. I could not believe how slow-witted it was, in turns or straight. Perhaps that particular car had an issue but many of the 255 horses were nowhere to be found. The elderly 528i had it beat by far. The countryman was better as well.
Really? My mom has one of those (a 2008 with the n52 motor) and I've been pleasantly surprised whenever I've driven it. Is never own one but I actually prefer the way it drives compared to the a4s ive driven. I think people get carried away with criticism of this model due to the suspension and trim issues on the first few model years. For a BMW it's not so great, but for an suv it's pretty good. And thr interiors of the later builds are quite solid and nice IMO. Even the infamous gm trans doesn't seem as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #26
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I haven't driven one of the new 8 speeds, but I've never driven a BMW or Mini with an automatic that was even close to acceptable as far as shift programming goes. That by itself would prevent me from ever buying an automatic BMW.
The new 8 speed is getting terrific reviews in the press (not just here in the US... also in Europe). One of the euro mags that did a review of the new 3-series even said "skip the manual and go for the new 8 speed" because it was that good. I'm still skeptical, but I'd say it is probably much improved from the old GM tranny.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:43 PM   #27
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Just not an suv fan, I guess. Though I hadn't minded the q5 or the cayenne.

I guess I expected a certain bmw'ness that I didn't find in the x3. Just not my cup of tea... Specs are good on paper though.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:33 AM   #28
bren
lawn boy

Ok, seriously, what's with car dealers? Why do you have a form for "get internet price" and never respond to inquiries? Why are you on Edmunds or Truecar and never respond there either? Is three days really not enough time?

Car salesmen are dumb.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:59 AM   #29
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Ok, seriously, what's with car dealers? Why do you have a form for "get internet price" and never respond to inquiries? Why are you on Edmunds or Truecar and never respond there either? Is three days really not enough time?

Car salesmen are dumb.
I can send you my guy at Tischer.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:20 AM   #30
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post

Car salesmen are dumb.
I hear this so often from my friends whom I've either convinced to shop BMW's or have stumbled upon the idea themselves - the lazy BMW salesman stereotype is repeated often.

I'm genuinely curious about this and since we have Sarafil here, who most certainly seems to have been the opposite of the lazy, unmotivated sales type, perhaps he can shed some insight.

Fil???
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote